Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 2016 R/T plus. It came with only one fob. I'd like to have a second fob, but I understand they are quite expensive from the dealer. Has anyone had success with aftermarket ones found online and then programmed by the dealer? Any suggestions for which one to buy? I have the 6 speed, so no remote start.

I've searched the forum and most posts were at least 5 years old so I thought I'd post a new thread in case there is a better option available now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
I had to do the same for my 2018 Charger.
I opened the fob and found a part number on the circuit board and matched it to one that i found on line with Google.
Then found a local key maker that was mobile and he came out to my house and did his magic so now I have 2 working fobs.
I bet I didn't spend $ 200 for the whole deal.
I never delt with the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
17,321 Posts
I'd definitely recommend getting a 2nd fob - with only being down to 1 fob, it that one quits working, you're done for

that's a tow into dealer and having to then program new fobs to it just to get things working again

Reactions: Stitches1974

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,418 Posts
just my opinion & experience, but this isnt an area you may want to skimp out on. The key fob is intrigal part of the car. There are major issues with cheap versions found online, like those found on ebay, etc. Most work for a while and then crap out.
If you damage or lose the only working oem key, you are in really bad shape. Dodge may not be able to get you going again and no locksmith will be able to either, as they would need a working oem key to make any clone. You cannot reclone ( in most cases) from a non oem generic clone.
Buy an oem unit from dodge and have them do it, which will properly assign it to the ATS system & cut the hard copy valet key.
Its money wisely spent.

Reactions: Stitches1974

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up ordering a key fob from a place that claims to refurbish used OEM fobs. There is an open recall on this car so when I get the keyfob here, I will make the recall appointment and ask about having the key fob programmed while I am there.

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
459 Posts
I bought my 2016 SXT Plus used from a dealer and made them get me one. I do have remote start, but I don't think it was much, like $125. At first he programmed a non-remote start one - I said NO do it again. It doesn't take long.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I ordered my keyfob from Replacement Key Fobs and Keyless Entry Remotes I can highly recommend them. I called the dealer up today and asked how much to program a keyfob. They went through the whole spiel about some keyfobs not being able to be programmed by them, yadda yadda, yadda... I told them it was an OEM keyfob that was refurbished (since that what the website claims) They were still skeptical. I asked how much to program the key, I was told $90. But they did tell me that if it didn't work and I had to buy a fob from them that I would not be charged to program that key as I had already paid to program a key.

I got there(45 min before closing), met with a service advisor. She told me it would be $99. Then one of the service techs asked if I wanted the key insert cut. I said yes, the service advisor said that would be $40. He then showed her that my original key was already cut, then said that cutting the new one would be no charge. She entered all my info, noticed there was an active recall on the car, asked if I wanted it done if they had the part. I said sure. She sent me to the waiting room. 1:15 if they performed the recall. 30 minutes if they only programmed the key.

I got the call to the service counter about 30 minutes later, they had to order the part... The cashier immediately asked me where I got the fob. He stated that most of the time they are not that good and that they are generic knock-offs that don't even say dodge on the back, even when the sites claim them to be OEM. This fob programmed easily and perfectly as one I would have bought from Chrysler/Dodge would have. My bill was $85

I find it odd and funny that I was quoted $90 on the phone. $99 in person, but then was charged only $85, but I'll take it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts