·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best license plate screws?
Security Fuel Cap lock?
License Plate?

Good afternoon,

I like the sense of security and to avoid hassles later. My goal was to protect my wheels, vanity plates, and car from tampering. So I decided on these wheel locks after much research and advice here on the forums. Thank you all! That solved my concern for wheel theft. Now I want to figure out the best solution for deterring vanity plate theft and tampering with the fuel cap.

What kind of license plate screws and plate do you guys use? Do the screws that come with the car rust? I know there are black screws that look better, screws that are stainless steel and do not rust, and screws that require a special tool to remove. Please advise on what you'd recommend.

I decided to use this drill-less plate, thanks to the forum here as well.

For the locking gas cap. I was wondering if you know if this fits the 2017 Challenger. The one review said it fits the 2012 Challenger. So i'm wondering if all the Challengers would work.

I know most people are familiar with this gas cap lock, it says it fits 2005?-2017 Challengers. So i'm thinking it might fit. Are any of you are aware if the gas cap fitting changed in the Challenger since 2012?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
You can also add a tilt sensor (detects towing) and a shock sensor. I will post the wiring schematics when I get home.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
Who is going to steal your license plate or your gas? A dirt bag will break into the car and take anything they deem worthy. If someone wants your fuel they can just drill or puncture the tank and get it even locked. If you have a tilt sensor and walk upon someone taking the car you better be prepared for a battle and in many states if you neutralize the situation you’ll regret doing so. In liberal states the criminal counts more than the victim. I once had a “talking to” with a thief and since he never saw me coming I did well in that conversation but could have gone the other way pretty easily. Can you say batter up?
Drive it and enjoy it, don’t sweat all the what if’s. You are aware that harbor freight sells security key kits so those plate screws can be defeated in two seconds.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who is going to steal your license plate or your gas? A dirt bag will break into the car and take anything they deem worthy. If someone wants your fuel they can just drill or puncture the tank and get it even locked. If you have a tilt sensor and walk upon someone taking the car you better be prepared for a battle and in many states if you neutralize the situation you’ll regret doing so. In liberal states the criminal counts more than the victim. I once had a “talking to” with a thief and since he never saw me coming I did well in that conversation but could have gone the other way pretty easily. Can you say batter up?
Drive it and enjoy it, don’t sweat all the what if’s. You are aware that harbor freight sells security key kits so those plate screws can be defeated in two seconds.
I live in the liberal state of California :/ I know it's not going to prevent everything if someone really wants to do something, but I think it's a deterrent to the opportunist thief or vandal. I'm hoping they just walk pass it knowing it's too much trouble.

I ended up getting this gas lock on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049EJVRQ I don't know if it will fit on my 2017 but I will update you all for reference.

In addition I got these security screws http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Theft-BLACK-NICKEL-Security-Screw-for-DODGE-CHALLENGER-REAR-License-Plate-/191721389366?hash=item2ca37c3d36

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
I live in the liberal state of California :/ I know it's not going to prevent everything if someone really wants to do something, but I think it's a deterrent to the opportunist thief or vandal. I'm hoping they just walk pass it knowing it's too much trouble.

I ended up getting this gas lock on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049EJVRQ I don't know if it will fit on my 2017 but I will update you all for reference.

In addition I got these security screws http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-Theft-BLACK-NICKEL-Security-Screw-for-DODGE-CHALLENGER-REAR-License-Plate-/191721389366?hash=item2ca37c3d36
Product description for that gas cap is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,451 Posts
I'd use Gorilla locking lug nuts for the wheels.

For the license plate use security hex machine screws with round heads and locking nuts, so a special allen bit and a wrench are needed to remove them. The screws you show in your photo can easily be remove with a pair of pliers.

I have a Mopar locking gas cap, and the second key is no big deal.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd use Gorilla locking lug nuts for the wheels.

For the license plate use security hex machine screws with round heads and locking nuts, so a special allen bit and a wrench are needed to remove them. The screws you show in your photo can easily be remove with a pair of pliers.

I have a Mopar locking gas cap, and the second key is no big deal.
I recently received the Gorilla locking lug nuts for the wheels, need to install it on my next tire rotation
Yeah I realized those screws weren't great so I ended up getting these on ebay, linked above.
I just like to be a minimalist with my everyday carry. One less key is worth it for me

Attachments

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,451 Posts
I recently received the Gorilla locking lug nuts for the wheels, need to install it on my next tire rotation
Yeah I realized those screws weren't great so I ended up getting these on ebay, linked above.
I just like to be a minimalist with my everyday carry. One less key is worth it for me
I'm the same as you when it comes to keys. I have separate key chains for everything, and only have the one I need on me at any given time. As for the gas cap key, I keep it in the center console. If the car is broken into, I doubt the gas tank will be siphoned.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Who is going to steal your license plate or your gas? A dirt bag will break into the car and take anything they deem worthy. If someone wants your fuel they can just drill or puncture the tank and get it even locked.
I've had my personalized plate stolen, and I know people that have had sugar or sand installed in their gas tank. Jealous ex-girl or boyfriend probably. My previous vehicle was stolen for a ride across town and anything inside it of value to the thief. Never underestimate the mind of an idiot. I'm researching dash cams and GPS systems too.

I bought this locking gas cap from Speedlo**** and it fits the tank but doesn't lock. Has that same part number on the box top.

Attachments

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update: Locking Gas Cap Installed

I wanted to update you guys I got the Mopar locking gas cap installed on my 2017 Challenger. Wanted to confirm that they fit perfectly and it has the dongle as well. I think it's a great locking gas cap. Now I don't need an extra key. I just use the key on my fob.

My security screws for my license plate are a little shorter i'm hoping that's fine. It won't be an issue right?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts