Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not drive my 2015 Scat Pack very often, in fact I have less than 2k miles on it. However I usually take it out to keep it fresh so to speak.

The last time I took her out of the garage was for a wash about a week ago. Today I had to move the car to do a reset on the garage door opener and as I tried to start her up I got a slight turn and then nothing, I am assuming low battery (not dead). Anyway, I have a battery charger I purchased for just this type of occasion.

The charger I have is the Schumacher SC-1200A. It's fully "automatic" and says it's a 12<>6amp with 3amp maintainer.

As I read the instructions on the unit I wanted to pause and ask for advice.

Can I charge this while hooked up in the trunk, or do I have to take the battery out of the trunk? I ask because in the instructions is talks about possible arcs due to accessories being on and if I open the trunk, obviously the light etc will go on so I am not sure what I should do. I do not want to make a bonehead mistake. There are other line items in the instructions that I do not know how to answer like if the battery is negatively or positively grounded etc. The car is also backed up pretty close to the back garage wall which makes it tricky to remove the battery.

So if someone can lend some advice?

If I can charge while hooked up?
Do I need to remove it completely?
Sequence of terminal to connect/disconnect?
Plug charger in before or after connected?

Also, the charger has a battery "type" with the options being ATD and AGM, I assume this is an AGM? Yes?

I looked around and see a lot of different comments on the internet, I figured here at least, we all love this car so no one will steer me wrong :)

I know this is a simple thing, but this is my baby. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I've always removed my battery if I ever needed to charge it.

Several people do use battery tenders to keep the battery fed when you aren't driving it for a while. So I don't see where you have to remove it to use a charger.

If the trunk is difficult to get at, under the hood is a red "+" plastic cap on the passenger's side of the engine bay. Under that is the positive terminal. There is a metal stud close by you can connect the black ground cable to. These cars are negative ground. I can't help you with the battery type question.

Turn on the charger after you have the leads connected, otherwise you will have an arch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the trunk is difficult to get at, under the hood is a red "+" plastic cap on the passenger's side of the engine bay. Under that is the positive terminal. There is a metal stud close by you can connect the black ground cable to. These cars are negative ground.

Turn on the charger after you have the leads connected, otherwise you will have an arch.
Seems like it would be easier to deal with that way instead of the trunk in its current position.

So I think I will pop the hood, connect the leads, turn on the charger... simple. Thanks for making me feel more at ease and reminding me about the positive in the front. I think I knew that, just forgot about it.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Lots of owners use the tenders connected under the hood and seems simple enough. I'd hate to be pulling the battery all the time.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Every time your battery charge drops below a certain point the battery is damaged and the longer it sets discharged the more the damage. Get a Battery Tender and hook it up when you are not going to drive the car for more than a couple of weeks. You can connect the Battery Tender under the hood. I installed a quick disconnect for the Tender so I can easily connect it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm in the same boat - had my '15 scat two years today. It has 4208 miles on it. I bought a Battery Tender and use it under the hood. It's always hooked up when the car in parked in the garage. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I use a battery tender hooked up directly to the battery in the trunk. Trunk can be closed easily with the cord running underneath it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone.

I had no issues at all. Just took a long time to get to 100%. Started right up though. I will be keeping an eye on it from now on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts