Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Advice - My Challenger is Coming!

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  DodgeHemi61 
#1 · (Edited)
My first post at Challengertalk.com; awesome site, I've spent the last couple weeks browsing forums and learning a lot.

-----

My new addition to the family (R/T Classic - 6 spd) is due to arrive off the assembly line 11/5. I am so excited that it is just about all I can think about.

It's been over 12 years since I have bought and new car for myself (wife and kids get all the new stuff) and I plan on keeping this one to the end. Like a good daddy I want to prepare for my new arrival and take the proper steps to take care of and preserve her right from the start.

I am not looking to do any modification cosmetically to the car, I want to keep the original look but I would like to make the most out of what my new baby comes with and make some modest improvements from a performance and maintenance/care standpoint.

-----

The 2 things I will be doing for sure right away (looking to order the parts right now):

- Catch Can: Which one do you recommend? I am a little concerned about the Billet model, watched a YouTube vid of an installation, seem dangerously close to the radiator fan and tricky to get your hand in there and actually empty it out.

- Skip Shift Bypass: I guess the national CAFE Standards brings us this moronic gem of technology... no brainier I am going to fix this. Does it matter which one I order? Are they all the same?

Any other basic items I should have waiting in the garage when she arrives in a couple weeks?

-----

Power Adders:

This is where I will be looking to take some baby steps and I will be looking for some good advice. I won't be doing anything major like super chargers or cams swaps.

I will probably start with a cold air intake and possibly exhaust.

If I am not going to do anything too radical should I even consider tuning / chipping?

What all should I be looking to do on a modest budget and without straying too far off stock feel and look to the car?

------

Thank you for your time and advice.

:)

Cheers,
Flash

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
One of the very first things I did to my car was give it a thorough detailing. Washed, clay, polish, wax. Even though the car is new, there's still crap in the paint from delivery to the dealer and just sitting in a lot.

#5 ·
Welcome to the club

Based on observation of my own mods, I'd recommend in order:

- Strut brace = better handling around corners and less body roll
- Exhaust = better muscle car sound, minor HP gains
- Tune = gives flexibility to adjust computer as you'd like
- Intake = HP gains, possible MPG gains

#6 ·
Any suggestions in regard to brands or places to purchase through for CAI, Exhaust or Tune Equipment?

Is there any differences between the 2014 R/T chassis/exhaust or 5.7 under the hood? Most sites I go to just list 2013 parts as the newest.

Still trying to figure out which catch can setup to go with... and favorites there?

Thanks,
Flash

#7 ·
Although I'm a 392 guy, I'm not aware of any notable changes between 2014 vs. 2013

For Tuner, Diablo tuners are your only option, other than taking it to a professional shop, so that's an easy answer.

The Billet catch can runs around $200ish and takes about 90 seconds to install.

For exhaust, you'll read yourself to death on the forum of one exhaust vs another. It strongly depends on what you're looking for. Youtube videos or live sampling are your best options, but some of the most popular choices are Zoomers (I can vouch for them, they sound awesome), Borla ATAKs, Corsa Extreme, and the Heartthrob. Those barely scratch the surface on your options. Do some research there's a sound for everyone.

As far as intakes go, I just installed an LMI Frankentake IV system, so far so good. There are several other LMI intakes that are popular. K&N has two different options for Challengers.

To me it seems like there are a lot more options for the 5.7 than any other displacement, so whatever you want to do to it, chances are there's a part for it. The Speedlogix website is generally where I find most of my mods (including almost everything listed in my signature) because it's pretty clear and concisely designed and in my experience their customer service is excellent, but a google search will bring up a dozen different vendors.

I hope this helps a little, vague as it may be. Best of luck

Reactions: Flash Jones
#8 ·
You should probably set a budget for your expenditures. A guy can go crazy and end up spending a lot on add-ons. Ask me how I know......

Speedlogix has lots of catch cans in stock. I bought the Moroso version because it has a drain valve at the bottom. Mine is black which looks really cool, IMO.

I had to have a new exhaust because the stock exhaust was too quiet for my liking. I went with a SOLO catback and I'm very pleased with it. No drone. I can't comment on the other systems, but read reviews before you buy one. You don't want drone...

I doubt you will "feel" a big difference from a CAI. The CAI and a tuner will give you some gains, but they won't be huge. I added them before my supercharger, and the biggest difference that I noticed was from the throttle boost option in the tuner. That was a Predator tuner. I don't know if the Intune or Trinity have that feature (I now have a Trinity, but I haven't looked for that feature). My car is a 2010 and I think the tuning options for the newer cars may be different, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy your new car. You're gonna like it.

#9 ·
the catch can as stated is a must..
a after market throttle body from either fastman or modernmuscle is a nice option.. not alot of dough.. you don't see much in a GAIN per say but better throttle.. helps with the drive by wire lag.

exhaust as stated you will go silly trying to figure it out.. i spent MONTHS and went with magnaflow.. i like it alot. just make sure you don't skimp and buy a 5-600 dollar kit.. you know you get what you pay for, unless you find a SMOKING DEAL on a high end kit.

strut brace is another cheap and i feel very well worth mod.. tightens the front end up nicely.

a TUNER is HUGE.. not sure if they have them out for your car yet but if and when.. GET IT.. makes a nice difference and good for the future if you put a blower or cam heads ect on the car.

LAST but no least.. short throw shifter.. get rid of the junk shifter. unless a co by the name of barton comes out with there soon ( so for nothing is solid on this ) get a hurst and get send it to larry or get a complete one from him. here is his sight.. straight up great guy

www.gandkperformance.com/modified throw-rod - Home - Farmington, MN

#10 ·
Forgot to mention splash guards (mud flaps). I added them right away because I'd read stories of guys getting rock pits. I went with the Mopar version, but there is at least one other option. Search this forum for information on this and other items.

If you get CAI and tuner, some sellers often have package deals.

#12 · (Edited)
Exhaust. I did Flowmaster 40s up front, resonator delete (the back "muffler"). 45 minutes, 350 dollars at local guys shop. Great sound. I have a vid on Youtube, PM for the link! Edited to add, seems to be consensus is that the stock CAI with a quality paper filter is as good as the add-ons, just not as pretty. Eventually... I will get something pretty.

#13 ·
I had a 2010 R/T Classic with the Super Track Pack, never did a single mod. I decided to drive it for a while and decided not to change anything. The car worked perfectly. Even if you decide to mod it, drive it for a while to get a feel for the car. I would still have it if not for the lust for seriously more power, which led me to the SRT8. The only mod I've made is a K&N drop-in filter.

#14 ·
Flash, congrats on the new car. For what is worth, the stock exhaust is not that bad except the resonator. I installed the magnaflow axle back exhaust kit and the car sounds real nice now. The BT catch can is a real nice one to get also.​

#15 ·
Thank bud... I did install BT can along with a Charger CAI tube, the stock Challenger tube with the muffler was in the way of where the catch can is supposed to go. Car sounds a little more throaty without the intake muffler.

I didn't install my skip shift bypass yet as I have yet to experience the 1-4 but I only have 243 miles on it so far.

I got her pretty much put away for the winter, haven't even started it in almost 3 weeks, the weather has been bad here. With that said, I am in a holding pattern until spring with any other mods. I will look into the exhaust options, maybe a good CAI system or filter upgrade along with a throttle body and a good tune.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.