Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a 2013 challenger SXT for $18,000 and only 30k miles. I personally believe that's a pretty good deal. The only issue is that im a college student with a part time job earning around $1000 a month, sometimes a bit more. I also live with my parents and fortunately they don't charge me for rent or anything at all (as long as I continue going to school, which I will) So do you guys think I will be able to afford it? Is it a good deal on paper? I have no problem finding a co-signer either. Of course other things go into consideration but I will find out when I go see the car and test drive it. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help!

Also, im planning on giving a down payment of $4k. I already have some money saved up so yeah.

·
Registered
228 Posts
NADA clean retail on a 2013 SXT with 30K and no options added is $20,950. So, yes the deal sounds good. You will want to make sure you run a Carfax on it to be sure it has not been wrecked or has some other problem. Can you afford it? Well that is a call only you can make based on your other expenses. Depending on your interest rate, payments are going to be about $300 per month on $15K. You may find it hard to get a loan with your income and may need a co-signer. Insurance will also be an issue given your age and will also depend on your driving record. Until you graduate from college you might want to consider a new or used economy car to meet your transportation needs.

Reactions: mike123

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the price appears to be good but 30,000 miles is a lot of miles for a 2013 car.
Now this is the parent in me talking but why live for a car? Get something reliable and finish school then get what you want.
Your $1000 a month is pre tax money? What do you have to spend post tax is what matters plus insurance is a consideration.
My son is in college and he too wants a cool car but I said 3 more semesters and then do as you wish, his current car will last far beyond then so why go into debt.
What are you driving now and how much more school do you have left?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Tough call. I'd say get all your finances worked out beforehand. As mentioned above, in particular, find out how much it will be to insure it. At your age, it might be more than you expect. So you have to factor in the insurance, the car payment, and don't forget that there will be taxes and tags on top of the price. Just don't get surprised, buy the car, get home, and then find out your insurance is going to be $200/mo.

Best of luck,
Mike

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are you paying for your college, or are your parents? If you are footing the bill, I don't think you will want to accumulate that much debt.

Are you driving a car now and paying insurance on it? Will you be able to sell or trade it?

I have an 18 year old son that's a freshman in college. He talked about buying a nicer car, but decided against it. He already has a really nice Pontiac GXP that would probably keep up, or outrun, a R/T Challenger. We bought it for $9,000. It was a $35,000 car when it was new in 2006.

I gotta give you credit, though. If you're working and going to school, you've got my respect. Good job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Are you paying for your college, or are your parents? If you are footing the bill, I don't think you will want to accumulate that much debt.

Are you driving a car now and paying insurance on it? Will you be able to sell or trade it?

I have an 18 year old son that's a freshman in college. He talked about buying a nicer car, but decided against it. He already has a really nice Pontiac GXP that would probably keep up, or outrun, a R/T Challenger. We bought it for $9,000. It was a $35,000 car when it was new in 2006.

I gotta give you credit, though. If you're working and going to school, you've got my respect. Good job.

Actually I currently receive financial aid so I'm basically getting paid to go to college in a way haha. I get around $2,400 every semester. I also only pay $10 for my classes. I currently drive my dad's car which he payed off already. I just would really want something that's mine and especially a challenger; I've been saving up for a long time, kinda. And no I won't be trading in any car, but I will be putting a down payment of $4-5k if I decide to get this car, which I already have saved up.

Also, thanks! Working and going to school all at once could get stressful at times but it's manageable, im already used to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tough call. I'd say get all your finances worked out beforehand. As mentioned above, in particular, find out how much it will be to insure it. At your age, it might be more than you expect. So you have to factor in the insurance, the car payment, and don't forget that there will be taxes and tags on top of the price. Just don't get surprised, buy the car, get home, and then find out your insurance is going to be $200/mo.

Best of luck,
Mike
Hey, thanks for the reply! Of course I will try and find out how much it will be to insure it and the total costs of everything, I wouldn't just jump right in and sign the papers; thanks for the advice though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts