Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a torch red SRT and I want to break up some of the red. My thought is to remove fender badges and replace with black 392 sticker badges that are found on the T/A' s. Also was thinking about the grill and spoiler chrome SRT change to black, only problem would be grill part would it get lost in the already black grill? Thanks to anyone with some input.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I had the same issue with my Black R/T classic with Black R/T stripes. (Radar Red leather interior). Your car is basically the opposite (Red with Black interior) to mine.

To break up all of the black, I added RED R/T badges to the side, below the scripted "Challenger" logos (same as on the 70 Challenger R/T), Red "345" numbers next to the stock "HEMI" badge on the hood scoops (a tribute to the old "440 Six-Pack" badges on the 70 challengers), and a red "HEMI" badge on the back of the spoiler. I completed my badging upgrade with chrome "DODGE" letters on the hood (another tribute to the 70 Challenger). See the photo. I also replaced the chrome fuel door with a black one.

For your red SRT, the black "392" on the side would be cool, but since that's already done on T/A and "Core" cars, perhaps black "392" and "HEMI" on the hood scoops and "SRT" on the sides would be cool. I think the black fuel door would look great on your car too. Very simple swapout. and under $100. I think the black SRT in the black grill would get lost. Make it Red or Chrome.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,772 Posts
The black 392 would look good, as would the black grille. I think the black accents really add to the look of any color. A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,747 Posts
I have a torch red SRT and I want to break up some of the red. My thought is to remove fender badges and replace with black 392 sticker badges that are found on the T/A' s. Also was thinking about the grill and spoiler chrome SRT change to black, only problem would be grill part would it get lost in the already black grill? Thanks to anyone with some input.

Mopar or No Car
So if you were thinking you'd like to do something different with the SRT badges on the grill and spoiler, here's an idea I whipped up for someone else who was wanting to do something different with their badges on grill and spoiler:

original -

touched-up -

Now, obviously you'll need to ignore the SXT and pretend those say SRT (same for the 6 vs. 8), but my suggestion is the same. Why not invert the colors on the letters and their background (but leave digit and its background as-is)?

If you can get enough color-matching touch-up paint for your body color to do that, I think it would look pretty snazzy! (that's a good thing, I think?)

As for breaking up the body color red along the rest of the car, I would probably plasti-dip myself a few different minimal stripes to see if they did what I was after them doing.

Example #1 - some War Paint/Hash Mark stripes (black obviously) with "SRT" letters instead of the normal "R/T" letters you see on most sets of those.

Example #2 - some hood spears (long, narrow stripes; black obviously) that shade in the diagonal part of the hood where it goes from level to raised. I had some pics of a set of those somewhere, but can't find them at the moment...

Anyway, I am not advocating you do the Plasti-Dip stripes as your final solution, if in fact you wanted to go with any sort of stripe or decal. I am only saying if you do start thinking about a stripe package, you should consider using Plasti-Dip to try out the stripes first. You know, so you can see if they look good on the car in real life like what you thought they had looked in your head. If they don't look like you wanted them to, peel 'em off and move on.

But if they do give you the look you were after, then you can shop around to find a regular vinyl set to buy and have installed professionally.

That's my $0.02 on the matter :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I like some of them ideas. I'm not a strips kind of guy. I had a challenger red line edition and pulled all those off so..... I just think my idea would look funny meaning front grill SRT, and spoiler SRT chrome and then black 392 on fenders. I might just pull fender badges and run like that for a while.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
188 Posts
...Also was thinking about the grill and spoiler chrome SRT change to black, only problem would be grill part would it get lost in the already black grill? Thanks to anyone with some input...
I have the blackout package on my new Challenger, I think the black grill looks super aggressive. I really like it and it changes the whole look of the car.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Just a heads up, it's TorRed not torch red... Enjoy your car, should look great no matter what you do to it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You should still replace that chrome fuel door with the black one. Chrome belongs on old Buicks and Cadillacs, not modern hot-rods.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Love that black hood on the red R/T. I'm looking at the T/A 392 with the black roof/hood over Maximum Steel for my next ride.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,772 Posts
You should still replace that chrome fuel door with the black one. Chrome belongs on old Buicks and Cadillacs, not modern hot-rods.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2015 Scat Pack
80 Posts
Here is my two cents. I agree with the black 392 call outs on the side and the black fuel door. I would paint the mirrors and spoiler matte black. If cost was no object, I would do a carbon fiber rear spoiler. I love the way the black pops on red and white cars.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Only my .02 cents. Love the chrome grill unless the car is murdered out black look (A GUY). Like the chrome cap too.
Very retro!!! Like the black 392 for the side and would consider a matt black tail band. Killer on white. Also the red 392 and black HEMI on the hood. You know......it don't really need much! Lol!!!! Good problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts