Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you advised me, I'm really missing my '16 SRT392 that I sold in September last year (please don't gloat). I'm now considering buying a new Yellow Jacket 2017 SXT Plus with the Black Top package. The 305HP V6 is really all I need for the kind of driving I do. I'm interested to hear from those of you that have this model. Pros and Cons. Thanks, BillD
Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
As some of you advised me, I'm really missing my '16 SRT392 that I sold in September last year (please don't gloat). I'm now considering buying a new Yellow Jacket 2017 SXT Plus with the Black Top package. The 305HP V6 is really all I need for the kind of driving I do. I'm interested to hear from those of you that have this model. Pros and Cons. Thanks, BillD
Pros:

Still a Challenger.
Less Expensive.
Cheaper to own. (gasoline, oil changes, brakes, etc)

Con:

Not as fast as your Scat Pack.
Not as fast as your Scat Pack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the gt for the awd yes a v8 would have been nice but the v6 is really all i need (but who buys a challenger based on needs). performance is good fuel mileage is ok, insurance not too bad. of course test drive one, I think as long as your not expecting v8 power I think you'd be happy

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
After four V8s not including a 1974 Challenger I owned long ago, I decided to get an SXT Plus a year and a half ago. My reasoning was that where I live the extreme heat taps so much power that I couldn't really enjoy the 5.7 and I was about to retire so panic in the back of my mind steered me toward the SXT for $200 less monthly expenses. Considering all factors, I like my SXT best of all I've had. The newer style interior quality, features and the 8 speed may play a factor in that. The cons? Just one for me. Not quite the passing acceleration as the 5.7. But otherwise, this 3.6 performs in the range I drove 95% of the time anyway. 0-60 at 3,000 feet alt and 80 degrees was 6.4 sec. The pros? an excellent engine. I mean, I love this engine and trans. Good acceleration and I get a combined MPG of 29. My big tip of the day, get a Pedal Commander. I put one on a few months ago and it made a great car even better. Another pro, the front end is much lighter making the car much more nimble with better handling. Another benefit is get one of those oil pumps and you can change the oil and filter from the top. No more crawling on the ground. Like you I had second thoughts at first, but I'm glad I went this direction.

·
Registered
73 Posts
R/T Black Top Pack. Still V8 power, gas mileage about same. Price close to SXT PLus w/Black Top. It's going to be tough going from SRT to SXT. But you'll still be in a Challenger. Just my two cents.:smile:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a 2017 SXT, not plus. I've owned SB 'Cuda's and Barracuda's (A bodies). I think the V6 has as much performance as any of them, actually a bit more (30HP). With the more modern drive train my SXT would run circles around any of them and probably the BB ones too in anything but a drag race.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First off, I'd like to say you have fine taste in you choice of colors (I have the exact same one except with the V8).
Secondly, I have the 5.7 in my Challenger and I don't think I would like dropping down to a V6 (nothing against the V6 guys).
I really think you'd be missing the power going from a SRT to the SXT....well at least I would be missing it.
That's my take on it anyway.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I have a 2017 SXT, not plus. I've owned SB 'Cuda's and Barracuda's (A bodies). I think the V6 has as much performance as any of them, actually a bit more (30HP). With the more modern drive train my SXT would run circles around any of them and probably the BB ones too in anything but a drag race.
That's a good point. You reminded me that I looked up 0-60 times for 1971 Challenger engines before I bought my SXT. The 3.6 is equivalent to a 1971 340 and 383.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
Love my SXT plus, no cons that wouldn't apply to any model (vent that should blow stronger, stereo that isn't loud enough). I know many can't understand not needing the power of a V8, but the V6 will do everything you need. SXT Plus w/Blacktop and no other options, to step up to an RT w/ Blacktop and no other options is around an additional $4000. And that is the base RT. The SXT Plus has RT brakes, 20" Blacktop wheels (my favorite), 3.07 rear gear, Leather, heated and cooled, etc. It's well appointed. I know you asked about a SXT Plus, and of course some will immediately change that to you need the V8, but to answer your question.

It does sit high, really screams for lowering springs. It is quiet, and exhaust while not a must, sure helps. It will never sound like a V8, but hey, it isn't :)

Since I assume you have driven it, or at least a V6 w/ Blacktop and it's higher gears, you know what it's like. I took a test drive just to be sure I was going to be satisfied. Floored it on freeway on ramp, and I knew all I needed to know.

You'll be happy with it if you don't need the V8 power.

A Guy

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of your comments; they are really helpful. BTW: The sticker price on this car is $35,470 and the dealer is offering it to me for $30,000 out the door! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Love my SXT plus, no cons that wouldn't apply to any model (vent that should blow stronger, stereo that isn't loud enough). I know many can't understand not needing the power of a V8, but the V6 will do everything you need. SXT Plus w/Blacktop and no other options, to step up to an RT w/ Blacktop and no other options is around an additional $4000. And that is the base RT. The SXT Plus has RT brakes, 20" Blacktop wheels (my favorite), 3.07 rear gear, Leather, heated and cooled, etc. It's well appointed. I know you asked about a SXT Plus, and of course some will immediately change that to you need the V8, but to answer your question.

It does sit high, really screams for lowering springs. It is quiet, and exhaust while not a must, sure helps. It will never sound like a V8, but hey, it isn't :)

Since I assume you have driven it, or at least a V6 w/ Blacktop and it's higher gears, you know what it's like. I took a test drive just to be sure I was going to be satisfied. Floored it on freeway on ramp, and I knew all I needed to know.

You'll be happy with it if you don't need the V8 power.

A Guy
Mine is yellowjacket yellow. The ONLY thing I'd change is the 2.62 gears. If it had 3.07's it would have better bottom end, and I don't really think I'd miss any top end.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
That's a good point. You reminded me that I looked up 0-60 times for 1971 Challenger engines before I bought my SXT. The 3.6 is equivalent to a 1971 340 and 383.
Not the same. The radial tire was a complete game changer for traction. I'd take either of those cars and give you a car in front of the line. It'd be fun! Then put headers on the 71s and on the V6. It'd be brutal!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you for all of your comments; they are really helpful. BTW: The sticker price on this car is $35,470 and the dealer is offering it to me for $30,000 out the door! :grin2:
Does that come with all leather seats, 8.4 inch radio and HID's. If so that is a really good deal, I got mine for 29.5 OTD without the blacktop package. I just paid 1.2k to wrap it.

PROS: Great gas mileage, I got it to sound well for me (won't sound like a v8) and I have extra funds to customize it exactly how I want.

CONS: People asking what's under the hood but if you don't care about other people's opinions you can't get embarrassed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
I just say "It's the V6. ONLY 305 HP". That's generally more than what they drive, and they are finished. Besides, the appearance has them mesmerized

A Guy

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Does that come with all leather seats, 8.4 inch radio and HID's. If so that is a really good deal, I got mine for 29.5 OTD without the blacktop package. I just paid 1.2k to wrap it.

PROS: Great gas mileage, I got it to sound well for me (won't sound like a v8) and I have extra funds to customize it exactly how I want.

CONS: People asking what's under the hood but if you don't care about other people's opinions you can't get embarrassed.
Yes, it comes with the Blacktop Package, plus a sunroof, Harman Kardon stereo and the Uconnect 4 NAV. BTW; I now have them down to $29,800 OTD. At 70, I really don't care what others think!

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Really depends on how and where you're driving. If it's a daily driver, the six will be more than enough. Chances are you'll be stuck behind a moron in a Korean SUV anyway. And the six has enough power to blow past him when there's room and enough brakes to not ram the next one in line.

If it's a weekend toy, go for the Demon>:)

My '14 SXT does regular-car duty and I've only rarely wished for more power. It's fantastic on long trips, quieter than the V8s and 500 miles of range.

Just for God's sake don't call it a muscle car or the V8 crew will shame you to death.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Its all relative. Daily driver and getting older and looking to chill and save cash, or is this a second car toy? If my challenger is was my daily driver which at my age family wouldn't because challenger is impractical for that, but if it was I would really take a hard look at the SXT, with the cost saving son purchase and upkeep makes a lot of sense, specially since it still has over 300hp. I had Firebirds and such growing up that didn't get past 250hp.

A few years back I had a 2010 Camaro SS nice car, kid on the way, shuffling things around it had to go. needless to say after a year or so had the itch and got my self back into an old Firebird Formula kind of like my TA back in the day. Cool car and all, but the power didn't cut it, sold it and was in a SP in 6 months.

So depends on what you want to do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just as a warning...these hi impact colors attract attention...I have had good looking women drive up beside me with a smile on their face until they get a good look at what grey hair I have left and my narley face...then they look away like they saw a ghost....maybe you have aged better than I have...I am thinking of getting tinted glass...lol:grin2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts