Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
That's a good point. You reminded me that I looked up 0-60 times for 1971 Challenger engines before I bought my SXT. The 3.6 is equivalent to a 1971 340 and 383.
Great info for when somebody talks down the "V6".

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Great info for when somebody talks down the "V6".

Remember that being with those TOTALLY worthless bias plied nylon tires. If they had today's tire on them I would like to see how they fared. Really!

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
Remember that being with those TOTALLY worthless bias plied nylon tires. If they had today's tire on them I would like to see how they fared. Really!

Right but my point was to compare a 1971 340/383 equipped as it was with the tech of the day with today's 3.6. We can mix and match tech from different eras all we want but some folks put down the 3.6 but think the 340 or 383 Challenger was all that and more when in fact performance was pretty much equal as built to today's 3.6. So my point was that trashing today's V6 but adoring the 340/383 did not make sense. Just blind dislike for the 3.6 as "not worthy" of a Challenger. I just got back from a long drive in my SXT and while I would love to get another V8, I just cannot part with this SXT. The engine/trans combo is just too smooth and still has more power then V8 Mustangs I used to own. So that makes it very worthy in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Right but my point was to compare a 1971 340/383 equipped as it was with the tech of the day with today's 3.6. We can mix and match tech from different eras all we want but some folks put down the 3.6 but think the 340 or 383 Challenger was all that and more when in fact performance was pretty much equal as built to today's 3.6. So my point was that trashing today's V6 but adoring the 340/383 did not make sense. Just blind dislike for the 3.6 as "not worthy" of a Challenger. I just got back from a long drive in my SXT and while I would love to get another V8, I just cannot part with this SXT. The engine/trans combo is just too smooth and still has more power then V8 Mustangs I used to own. So that makes it very worthy in my eyes.
OH, I totally agree!!! No putting down any challengers. SO sorry! I misunderstood or something. Yes right from the factory they match up real well. Which MEANS todays 3.6 is something to be reckoned with. My last 3 V-6s had nowhere near that HP. Add that magnificent A-8 and you got a CHALLENGER!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts