Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Advise on suspension ( Help)

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  SuspensionSource 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 challenger rt classic 6 speed manual brilliant black, I was doing about a 105 on the highway and hit a slight bump and the rear end kinda fish tailed on me, kinda scary.I've been wanting to lower my car with the eibach pro kit springs is that good enough our should I do the whole thing , dampers, and sway bars to.please help.

#2 ·
Going at that speed and hitting bumps, waves imperfections is going to cause that kind of action.
Think of the energy of compression and rebound in the springs when you hit a bump at that speed - at 60-70mph, you'd notice a bump, but at higher speeds, it doesn't take much to upset a vehicle at high speeds.

Unless you go with a really stiff suspension (lot really liveable in the day-to-day) not the best idea. Racing suspensions can handle that sort of stuff at high speeds, but you feel everything > all the time.

Plus, road courses and race tracks have better surfaces (and likely better maintained) than public roads - highways and such are race tracks.

#3 ·
Must have been more than a "slight" bump, even at 105.

I've had my Classic at 125, in the only remote, safe stretch in my area. It has some small holes and the usual 2 lane stuff, but the car handled very well.

I wouldn't change my R/TC's suspension at all. I love the ride, road feel, and comfort level that it offers, and I don't want a "track" type suspension with a stiffer ride.

Just me, but I encounter all sorts of bad roads in my travels, and the stock suspension handles it well.

FWIW, I usually drive the posted limit on hiways, and in the sticks only 10 or so over. Too dang dangerous and dumb to "race" on public roads.

Too much can happen too quickly at high speeds.

#5 ·
Well it depends on your budget, you could do shocks,struts,springs & sways or you could do a coil-over kit. I did the Pettys Garage coil-over kit, pedders sway bars & pedders bump steer bushings and the difference is night & day. The car actually rides better than stock, is 3/4 lower all around and a major improvement in handling.

#6 ·
There is a couple things to consider when it comes to the suspension on the Challenger.

1. The rear sub frame is mounted with 4 large rubber bushings that allow a good amount of movement in the rear sub frame over bumps. One of the most common issues that is noticed with this bushing movement is expansion joints on bridges, it unsettles the rear of the car and causes it to 'wiggle'.

2. Each rear wheel is connected to the sub frame with 9 bushings. Each of these bushings is a rubber bonded bushings that has a bonded steel jacket. The rubber bushings allow a good mount of movement in the wheel assembly when put in anything more than a leisurely drive.

3. The Bonded Bushings, also work as springs, and when the suspension is compressed, (espescially on a car that is lowered with out having the bushings timed) the bushings themselves will try to push the wheels back to a neutral position and thus push the body of the car up when the suspension compresses. This springiness can tend to overpower the shock damping and cause the car to become unsettled over the same types of bumps.

4. Alignment, if your alignment isn't correct it can amplify any issues that the car has.

#7 ·
You want a Hop Not kit - I have the full package on my R/T C - it plants the back tires onto the ground. A great suspension mod for the money. www.hopnot.net

#8 ·
I was chasing my buddy in his 2008 Z06 around a very large on ramp connecting to main highways here. We were accelerating in to the ramp and the last time I glanced at my speedo it read 90MPH and still climbing. I wasn't about to let him get away.

There was a big bump mid curve on the ram (ramp was like 1/4 mile long and at an incline) and I hit that and the car settled right down with much less drama than I was expecting.

I have the Eibach Pro Kit installed.

#9 ·
depending on your budget I'm running pedders coilover x/a kit from petty's garage, stack performance chubby pro sways, adjustable end links and bump steer kit from razors edge, I just got my pedders bushing kits today now I just need my subframe conectors to arrive, as I'm getting ready for some road course seat time. with the adjustable shocks I haven't had any issues on the streets or highways at any speeds...

I would start with the coilovers and sways and go from there:thumbsup:

#10 ·
I would follow Jeff's suggestions, I did and love it! I also did the Pedders rear cradle bushings and they make a very noticeable difference. I would highly recommend doing the sway bar end links at the same time as the sway bars. I was looking things over on mine after 1400 miles after installing everything and noticed the end link rubber bushings were already starting to split and the car just now has 6000 miles on it. I am going to order the Pedders end links for the front & rear.

#11 ·
Can someone tell me since I got the 6 speed rt manual do I have the nivomats shocks and if I do do I have to change then because I have eibach springs pro kit coming.And if so what shocks do I get that are not expensive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.