Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

3.5L Jet Hot Coated V6 Valve Covers

Note: This item fits all 05-06 LX vehicles or any Mopar 3.5L with metal valve covers.

As some of you may already be aware of, I have been in process of testing coated valve covers for the LX & LC Dodge Charger, Magnum, Challenger and Chrysler 300 with the 3.5L V6. The early year LX (05-06) came with metal valve covers from the factory. My intentions were to offer a visually appealing alternative while reducing heat by coating the valve covers with Jet Hot Sterling ceramic coating. According to all previous research the metal valve covers should have been interchangeable with the plastic ones that the 07-09 3.5L came equipped with. Unfortunately after closer investigation Chrysler switched to a different coil pack which uses only a single mounting screw as opposed to the 2 mounting points that the metal valve covers used. These later model coil packs also use a different wiring harness so its not quite a simple swap. It is possible to make it work but at this time we will not support this as a part that will fit the 07-09 year range.

The Theory

The intake plenum sits less then 1/2" away from the valve cover on the passenger side and the IAT is positioned roughly 4-6" away from the valve cover on the driver's side depending on what CAI is installed and assuming the IAT has not been relocated. This results in one of the most performance reducing factors - heat. IN THEORY by reducing valve cover temperatures there will be less heat transfer to the plenum and a decrease in ambient engine bay temps specifically in the IAT area. For those who are unaware - the IAT is the sensor in the intake tube that reports intake temperatures to the PCM which in turn "adapts" various settings based on the observed temperature. In short, the hotter the recorded temperature the car's computer will adapt in an unfavorable manor and reduce performance. By reducing heat soak of the intake plenum and the IAT there is a potential for horsepower and torque gains and one less factor fighting against your engine.

The Data

Below you will find a data chart with temperatures I observed using the Diablo Predator and a Raytek MT6 Infrared thermometer over a period of 30min driving at an average of 30mph on surface streets including stop and go and idle time. The fans were left at their factory setting. I monitored data for ambient temp, coolant/engine temp, and air intake temp as well as surface temperatures for the valve covers and the intake plenum. The valve cover surface temp. averages were calculated by taking measurements in 5 min increments and averaging them. The peaks were measured after allowing the car to idle for 2 min (the typical time spent idling at a stop light). The averages for coolant temp and air charge were calculated using data observed by my "helper" monitoring low/mid/high numbers on the Predator - the peaks are the highest number recorded.

Pricing and Ordering

Full Retail will be in the range of $415 +shipping. This includes new spark plug tube gaskets, valve cover gaskets, & new hardware w/ rubber grommets. This means the part is 100% ready to be installed without the need to purchase any additional parts.

Group Buy?

If enough people are interested I will start a group buy thread and if I can get 10+ people signed up and committed to buy I can drop the price close to $385 or maybe less depending how many we get. If this is the case I will require a deposit up front to pay for the purchase of the part and require the remaining balance when they are ready to ship. All parts would ship at the same time. Any opinions?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, did some more digging and have good and bad news guys. The current coated valve covers as shown here will only fit the 05. The good news is that 06 was the year they changed to the newer coil pack design and they still used the metal covers so if we have those coated they would fit all 2005-2010. They switched to the plastic valve covers in 07 to relocate the oil filler so that the could use the same valve covers on the 3.5L Seabring and 4.0L both of which have different shaped plenums then ours. The other bad news is the cost of the 06 style valve covers is $50 more then 05.

My question is... do enough people with 2006-2010 want these? I honestly cant afford to buy another couple sets and have them coated if no one wants them or everyone is broke. That puts me in a position with lots of $$ in the hole. If you are interested and committed to buy I can do them in group of 5 as thats the only Qty I can order (limited stock).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C'mon guys I need some feedback about this. From the sounds of things either everyone is out of money or it wont fit their year. Well, we have a solution for the year fitment now but if you want it to happen I need people to express interest otherwise the product is just gonna be put to bed and I'll cut my losses and everyone loses out.

Right now I've got 2 sets for 2005 vehicles.

If I can get 5 people to say they want them for their 2006-2010 LX or LC then we'll make it happen, I'll collect a deposit to buy the parts and get them over to Jet Hot and everyone's happy.

If not...well I guess I'll run into one of you heat soaked fellas at the next stop light or track day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Challenger V6 guys... if you have any interest in this product I need you to speak up. If so, we'll get a set going that will fit the 2006-2010 3.5Ls. Anyone?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys Ryan has busted his A$$ off to rep the V6er's give him a little input here. Not many people want to do any form of testing or datatlogging for the V6!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Maybe try starting a thread in the SE section? I don't know how much the SE guys look at all the supporting vendors because most of it is performance mods.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Oh and I was also thinking it would be cool to see a before picture too. I'm obviously not running the v6 so I won't be buying any parts for one but its always cool to see the change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gotta admit, the covers looks pretty sweet and less heat is always a good thing, but I haven't pulled the trigger because of the, "we will not support this as a part that will fit the 07-09 year range" statement.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotta admit, the covers looks pretty sweet and less heat is always a good thing, but I haven't pulled the trigger because of the, "we will not support this as a part that will fit the 07-09 year range" statement.
The reason thats mentioned is because the sets we have in stock only fit the 2005 and there hasnt been near enough interest expressed to warrant me spending another $600 on valve covers that MIGHT sell sometime in the next 3 months. I'm already going to be taking a loss on the first 2 sets of these considering R&D expense - or a total loss if no one buys them.:scratchhead:

We know the solution to the year range now - like mentioned previously the 2006 3.5Ls came with metal valve covers as well only they have the proper coil mounting threads for all the 2006-2010 including the Challenger. The bad part is that they are another $80 more expensive per set and I'd have to sell them at $485.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts