Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tim suggests installing AFCO headers on my 2010 SRT8 6-speed. Does anyone run these? Pros? Cons?

Do these come ceramic coated? Any info greatly apprecaited...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not ceremaic coated, they are stainless steel. Most headers that are coasted are mild steel and they do this to prevent rust.

I don't care much for coated headers, they always end up rusting.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a set of MOPAR Race Headers on my SRT10 Ram last summer (no easy task). I believe they were made of stainless too, but the Jet Hot coating helps to reduce the surface temperature of them, I figured all headers installed on these cars would have coatings to protect the surrounding components from the excessive radiant heat.

Do most people run noncoated headers???

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump.. ..................

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Jeff (70/TA) runs them under the Dynatech brand name and has been really happy with them. I'm told they can even pass emissions when their catted mid pipes are used, something that really perked my ears up.

On our cars the headers are kind of under the engine and there's plenty of air flow. I'd not get the coating on this application, stick with the stainless steel.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If they are the same as dynatech headers, the cats seem to fail or break apart much earlier than other aftermarket mids.

My new favorite Challenger header is the American Racing Headers. They were just chosen by Mopar to be the header on the new v10 dragpak too.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
If they are the same as dynatech headers, the cats seem to fail or break apart much earlier than other aftermarket mids.

My new favorite Challenger header is the American Racing Headers. They were just chosen by Mopar to be the header on the new v10 dragpak too.
I've seen a lot of folks post up their Kooks cats failed pretty quick.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Absolutely but I think most of those were from boost etc...

Still vote for American Racing Headers :)
I think you're right on the boost. My big thing is passing emissions with the LTs. Tim claims the AFCO's will do it if using their HF cats.

Any news on the ARH passing? It's something to seriously consider. I've heard of people having to remove their headers to pass and what a pain that would be.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those who have self-installed long tube headers, I am curious. Is it easy/hard? How much disassembly is needed for installation? Do they go in from the bottom? Or top?

Many thanks...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed my Kooks in the garage with the car on jack stands. They go in from the bottom. Drivers side is easy. Move the coolant tank and you can get to the "hidden" upper header bolts easily. The passenger side is a b#t%h! Two of the upper header bolts you cannot see and you are working blind. Have a 10mm Gearwrench before you start, and lots of extensions and a swivels. Store up some patience for the passenger side, you will need it!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I installed my Kooks in the garage with the car on jack stands. They go in from the bottom. Drivers side is easy. Move the overflow tank and you can get to the "hidden" upper header bolts easily. The passenger side is a b#t%h! Two of the upper header bolts you cannot see and you are working blind. Have a 10mm Gearwrench before you start, and lots of extensions and a swivels. Store up some patience for the passenger side, you will need it!
i agree. I also removed the alternator. made it a little easier to get to some of the bolts. you'll have to bend the bracket for the dipstick tube to get it to fit. thats a bit of a pita.

you really need a 12" long 10mm gear wrench to get to some of those middle passenger side bolts. I couldnt really get to them using a socket and extension. too much crap in the way.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Many thanks guys..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts