Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got an AFE stageII for Christmas and installed it this morning. Everything went smooth except for the temp sensor. I managed to pull it out of its original mounting place but had to grind some of it down to get it to fit inside the supplied grommet. By looking at it it seems it wasn't made to come out. None the less it came out but the base broke. See pics. It should still work. Anyone in the know?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1388615340.715880.jpg

here's the finished look

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1388615442.965742.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add. There is a definite improvement at WOT. It feels as if it hits a powerband where as before i dont think i would feel that. I'm in Cali thats why I chose the AFE its CARB approved. Was going to get the rotofab but it was not approved. At idle i hear no dfrnce whatsoever. When you go WFO you can hear a small but very noticeable dfrnce.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think it's a twist out. Like Turn counter clockwise 180 and then pull.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Plus
85 Posts
I did the same thing to my temp sensor when I installed my k&n cai. I installed it anyway but the cel came on, replacements are pretty cheap less than $20 if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I also have the AFE CAI on my '10 R/T. It's an all around excellent system and is one of the top performers. The only gripe is the poor design of the grommet and hole in the tube... it's just too small.

You'll need to buy a new sensor from the dealer, they're around $30.

When trying to reinstall it, first make sure you are using some grease (dielectric or bulb grease). Then try to use pressure and TWIST at the same time. The plastic tab on the sensor should be facing forward and should go in. It doesn't HAVE to go in all the way. Mine is not all the way, is fully sealed, and no check engine light.

You could try to get the whole thing to fit but you risk breaking the sensor or destroying the rubber grommet.

BTW, do NOT use WD40 on the rubber grommet, otherwise it will dry out. Use bulb grease.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it's a twist out. Like Turn counter clockwise 180 and then pull.
Well mine had a stop in the plastic so not possible to turn counter clockwise and that's the way it would need to turn. It was puzzling. Maybe it was the heat LOL either way it's in there real snug. I used a drop of motor oil. Hope it doesn't mess anything up. Hope the sensor is still working. What would happen if it were not working right. I did not get a CEL. Everything seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the same thing to my temp sensor when I installed my k&n cai. I installed it anyway but the cel came on, replacements are pretty cheap less than $20 if I remember right.

Did you have to trim ur sensor to fit in the grommet?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Try to seat it as best as possible, then drive around and get everything warm, it will slide right into place once the intake tube heats up.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Plus
85 Posts
Did you have to trim ur sensor to fit in the grommet?

Not with the k&n, it fit fairly well without any trimming, but my check engine light came on pretty quick after reinstalling the broken sensor. If your cel didn't come on yet you may have gotten lucky.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a good question. I'm guessing it does not void it. I have had other vehicles with intakes and never had a stealer tell me anything about it. Tho if there were an issue with it I'm willing to bet any dealer would try and wiggle they're way out of paying.

Reactions: Djack
1 - 11 of 11 Posts