Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! As promised, a right up for this intake (see here: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/new-afe-intake-96078/ )

OK! So to start, here is the box the intake came in:

The goodies inside:

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! (and vendors will thank me for this....lol). Checked the list of parts that are supposed to be in the kit BEFORE you start taking anything apart:

Checked everything off as I found it:

(Most) the tools needed for the install. I made it a point to use hand tools to show the ease of installation; the only thing I'm missing in the pic is the 11mm wrench that that got lost under the car (I hadn't backed up the car yet)..lol. I used an adjustable because I couldn't find my damn 8mm open end wrench:

Stock intake:

I did some mild pre-assembly of the gaskets and inlet tube-
Lower gasket:

Upper gasket:

Side Gasket:

...and the inlet tube is held on to the box with 2 bolts:

Now removing the intake itself is pretty easy; basically it's 4 screws, 1 clamp, the Air Intake Temperature Sensor, the vacuum hose near the intake box, and a grommet on the back of the driver's side inlet resonator to the left of the throttle body.
3 screws hold the lid on the stock airbox:

Throttle body clamp:

Disconnect the Air Intake Temperature Sensor:

The grommet plug on the back stock intake:

Vacuum hose removal:

Aaaannnnd the stock 35,000 mile filter:

Everything out of the way:

Remove the front grommet on the stock intake:

I didn't realize the grommet was a steel sleeve in a rubber grommet before I wrestled it out of the stock housing:

So, putting it into the AFE housing was pretty easy once I realized that...lol:

Now... the Biggest ***** of the whole thing was whole thing putting the Air Intake Temperature Sensor into the AFE tube. They give you a grommet to take up the slop in the hole but the is where I had to use the pliers and and rag; one the push in on the end the the other to twist:

Correct depth:

To make the Air Intake Temperature Sensor reach, I cut 2 factory zip ties:
One:

And two:

and BAM!!! intake is installed:

The quality on this kit was OUTSTANDING!! Everything fit as it should; no miss aligned holes and broken/half ass parts in the kit. I will be adding more pics to this in the next few days but you get the gist for now...lol

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS - None, it was a crappy rainy day out :argh: but on the few dry stretches I had, it was definitely more zippy and intake sounded is AWESOME :woot:

I will be updating driving impressions as well

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had one too and it was a bit loud for my taste, on stock exhaust. AFE makes quality products, excellent flowing filters and in my experience, have excellent customer service.

The stock filter though...My god, I think its obvious where the majority of the airflow comes in at.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had one too and it was a bit loud for my taste, on stock exhaust. AFE makes quality products, excellent flowing filters and in my experience, have excellent customer service.

The stock filter though...My god, I think its obvious where the majority of the airflow comes in at.
Really? You think it's too loud? I think it's only noticeably louder than stock at WOT, but to each there own :)

Yeah, I was kinda shocked how centralized the crud was...lol I mean, I know it's dirtiest when the inlet comes it at the bottom of the box, and I expected that, but I thought it was be more spread out across the filter because the inlet to the engine is on the other (clean) end of the filter.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I put that same intake on with an otherwise stock car at 200 miles on it, basically brand new. I thought it was LOUD while it didn't sound bad, I felt the engine lost that modern, refined V8 tone that you'd expect. It was super deep and throaty but almost sounded like air was sucking through a hollow tunnel. I liked the intake and have used AFE products for YEARS on many vehicles so I was kinda partial to them. I also never noticed any bit of difference with the intake on either with throttle response or any type of power gain. I can however tell when the engine is sucking in cool air vs hot 94 degree Florida air.

I sold my AFE and ended up running a 6.1 OEM intake with an AFE drop in filter for a couple years before I bought a Volant, enclosed airbox system for a steal. Did I need to change? Absolutely not but I'm Captain Wishy Washy and cant leave anything alone. I kinda liked the stock-ish look of the engine bay.

You might want to consider taking off that heat soaking engine cover. Mine came off the day I brought it home. The Charger Police Package cars dont have those for a reason. Ford also used them on their Crown Vics but were deleted with the police package models. Our stock covers sell for around $50 used.

See if you can find some 6.4 or 6.1 half covers. They make a nice addition to our engine bays.

And now that it's been on for a few days, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I put that same intake on with an otherwise stock car at 200 miles on it, basically brand new. I thought it was LOUD while it didn't sound bad, I felt the engine lost that modern, refined V8 tone that you'd expect. It was super deep and throaty but almost sounded like air was sucking through a hollow tunnel. I liked the intake and have used AFE products for YEARS on many vehicles so I was kinda partial to them. I also never noticed any bit of difference with the intake on either with throttle response or any type of power gain. I can however tell when the engine is sucking in cool air vs hot 94 degree Florida air.

I sold my AFE and ended up running a 6.1 OEM intake with an AFE drop in filter for a couple years before I bought a Volant, enclosed airbox system for a steal. Did I need to change? Absolutely not but I'm Captain Wishy Washy and cant leave anything alone. I kinda liked the stock-ish look of the engine bay.

You might want to consider taking off that heat soaking engine cover. Mine came off the day I brought it home. The Charger Police Package cars dont have those for a reason. Ford also used them on their Crown Vics but were deleted with the police package models. Our stock covers sell for around $50 used.

See if you can find some 6.4 or 6.1 half covers. They make a nice addition to our engine bays.

And now that it's been on for a few days, what are your thoughts?

Ran AFE on last car really nice system, have a Mopar Bucks one on this cause it was par of the $2k deal back then. A bit of soapy water or better yet some silicone lube makes those IATs slip/slide in much easier the hardest part to CAI installs IMO. Like the "no engine hat" myself BUT you should remove (you can save it for back to stock later) that STICKER on top of the intake there Minnie Pearl, IMO and 392 vent line is worth the $14 tucks it under the covers you added.:yikes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.