Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have a good working knowledge of wheel specifications, what they mean, how they work and all that. However I have no idea who is a good brand who isn’t. What’s way too expensive what isn’t. Could you guys provide some experience of knowledge with aftermarket rims. I’m not trying to 3k on a set of wheel but I also don’t want something that is dangerous. I was thinking about factory reproductions but seems dangerous. They don’t even recommend “motorsports” so they’re out. I like Forgestar but not sure what their prices are. Any help would be nice.

Wheels specs I want are 20x10.5 +15 front and 20x10.5 +25 to use a 295-305 front and 305 rear

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have a good working knowledge of wheel specifications, what they mean, how they work and all that. However I have no idea who is a good brand who isn’t. What’s way too expensive what isn’t. Could you guys provide some experience of knowledge with aftermarket rims. I’m not trying to 3k on a set of wheel but I also don’t want something that is dangerous. I was thinking about factory reproductions but seems dangerous. They don’t even recommend “motorsports” so they’re out. I like Forgestar but not sure what their prices are. Any help would be nice.

Wheels specs I want are 20x10.5 +15 front and 20x10.5 +25 to use a 295-305 front and 305 rear
@Booky ran Factory Reproduction Style 73s like mine in his Hellcat.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
The SRTs come with forged wheels. They are much stronger than cast ones and have less unsprung weight.

Here is a brief explanation of the difference between the two types:

Cast Wheel:

A cast wheel is created by pouring molten metal (usually aluminum or steel) into a wheel-shaped mold. The cost-effective casting process produces a wheel of good quality and durability. For this reason, cast wheels are more common than forged wheels, both as aftermarket replacements and original equipment.

• Pros: Affordable and easily mass produced.
  • Cons: Heavier than comparable forged wheels.
Forged Wheel:

Forged wheels are created by milling a round bar of forged aluminum in a CNC machine. Less material is required to create wheels via the forging process resulting in a lighter product than comparable cast wheels. Forged wheels are also stronger than their cast counterparts, which means forged wheels can be made in larger sizes that cast wheels can’t support. Forged wheels do tend to carry a higher price tag than cast wheels due to the expense of the forging process. However, they provide greater long-term value thanks to their superior structural integrity.

• Pros: Results in a wheel that is strong and lightweight, reducing stopping distances.
  • Cons: More expensive than comparable cast wheels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SRTs come with forged wheels. They are much stronger than cast ones and have less unsprung weight..

Here is a brief explanation of the difference between the two types:

Cast Wheel:

A cast wheel is created by pouring molten metal (usually aluminum or steel) into a wheel-shaped mold. The cost-effective casting process produces a wheel of good quality and durability. For this reason, cast wheels are more common than forged wheels, both as aftermarket replacements and original equipment.

• Pros: Affordable and easily mass produced.
  • Cons: Heavier than comparable forged wheels.
Forged Wheel:

Forged wheels are created by milling a round bar of forged aluminum in a CNC machine. Less material is required to create wheels via the forging process resulting in a lighter product than comparable cast wheels. Forged wheels are also stronger than their cast counterparts, which means forged wheels can be made in larger sizes that cast wheels can’t support. Forged wheels do tend to carry a higher price tag than cast wheels due to the expense of the forging process. However, they provide greater long-term value thanks to their superior structural integrity.

• Pros: Results in a wheel that is strong and lightweight, reducing stopping distances.
  • Cons: More expensive than comparable cast wheels.
Thank you for the post. I know the differences between the two I guess my question is who are the reputable brands that would cost 2k for a set at those specs vs let’s say like 5k for a set of Rays Forged Wheels.

I would consider OEM but far too narrow

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thank you for the post. I know the differences between the two I guess my question is who are the reputable brands that would cost 2k for a set at those specs vs let’s say like 5k for a set of Rays Forged Wheels.

I would consider OEM but far too narrow
VS Forged makes forged wheels at a great price and can be done in 20X8.5 to 20X11.5 or even 19".

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,904 Posts
I believe 10.5" up front will be very close if they fit. Tire size and selection would be key. A Guy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe 10.5" up front will be very close if they fit. Tire size and selection would be key. A Guy
Honestly I have no idea if they would fit. I read that +15 would make it fit but I have no idea. I was really considering drag radials but I live in an area with nice winding roads and I would honestly probably make it to the dragstrip like 6 times in the year. Plus I have no line lock to even warm the radials. I figure why not try to get as wide as I can with as sticky tires as I can. I don’t know if you guys have heard of Nelson Ledges Road Course but it’s near me and is a decent track.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,904 Posts
I think some Hellcat owners have made them fit, but clearance was like a kleenex width. I'd think 9"-9 1/2" would be better for the front. A Guy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think some Hellcat owners have made them fit, but clearance was like a kleenex width. I'd think 9"-9 1/2" would be better for the front. A Guy
I have the dynamic package so I got the 9.5” Hellcat wheels with it. Would you think a 295 in R888R or NT01 would fit? It really frustrating dodge gave us such narrow wheels on the higher performance variants.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
I have the dynamic package so I got the 9.5” Hellcat wheels with it. Would you think a 295 in R888R or NT01 would fit? It really frustrating dodge gave us such narrow wheels on the higher performance variants.
295s in the front? I doubt that, rears no problem.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,904 Posts
9.5" is not narrow for the front in my opinion. 9.5" with 275 up front seems like a good option. 10.5" in the rear with 285, 295, 305, 315. A Guy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9.5" is not narrow for the front in my opinion. 9.5" with 275 up front seems like a good option. 10.5" in the rear with 285, 295, 305, 315. A Guy
Which manufacturer would you go with for a 10.5” that would looks like the fronts?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,904 Posts
You were looking for the Hellcat reps with machined face? I know FR may not make them, but others do. Or are you just trying to match the fronts you have?

Vöxx makes a 20x10.5" +25 satin black Hellcat rep.

Does FR not make any style 70, or just not the machined face you were originally asking about?

A Guy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You were looking for the Hellcat reps with machined face? I know FR may not make them, but others do. Or are you just trying to match the fronts you have?

Vöxx makes a 20x10.5" +25 satin black Hellcat rep.

Does FR not make any style 70, or just not the machined face you were originally asking about?

A Guy
I’ll have to check them out thanks for the recommendation. The issue with FR is that when I spoke with one of their reps I didn’t feel confident is choosing their products. The color they use won’t match exactly with the stock satin black color. The main issue is that they will not recommend the wheel for any type of motorsports use at all. Which defeats the purpose of me buying them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts