Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a mechanic today, i had just purchased an Borla ATAK exhaust system and an LMI Hammer CAI for my 2014 Challenger RT 6m. He mentioned those bolt-on mods will give you some noticable performance but had mentioned if I want all gains from the bolt on mods, get a Tuner. Is it really necessarry for a simple bolt-on mods like those to need a tuner? Usually a tuner would be used for cam mods or heads, right for ecu not wack out on you?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
A canned tune will help a little with the reduction of torque management. What you really want to get is a custom tune. This removes ALL torque management and squeezes out as much HP as your car can muster, given the mods you have. :yesnod:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would have recommended a Tuner before the mods, but yeah get the tuner. You won't see monstrous gains but it will allow fine tuning on the Dyno or by mail as well as many other benefits. Don't forget the T-stat too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is a t-stat necessary? Im not on my car at wot! its a sunday car for me. but wouldnt mind that extra WOT when im feeling frisky?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
A cat back is really just for sound. The factory intake system is already a cold air intake but the LMI drastically improves the recovery from heat soak, and gives a little boost to MPG and power.

You may feel some difference immediately after install but after driving a few miles the computer will adjust and from then on it will probably feel the same.

Tunes work wonders on these cars and they are not just for cam/heads/FI. Automatics really feel a difference but with a manual, the canned tunes wont be anything drastic. Like Omaha said, the custom tunes are really where its at.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Is a t-stat necessary? Im not on my car at wot! its a sunday car for me. but wouldnt mind that extra WOT when im feeling frisky?
During the winter no, its not necessary and you would be better off with the stock tstat as a 180 will reduce your MPG on top of the crappy winter gas. During the summer they make a world of difference since these cars really suffer from heat soak.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Unless you are looking for every advantage at the track I would skip the 180 stat mod...
I agree 100 percent on the T-Stat. But a tuner will make a nice improvement with throttle lag reduction, torque management, and other features.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
There are a few things they didnt mention or missed.

The SRT team said the computer will try to go back to the stock table, thats only on the stock tune. With a custom tune it will be a different story. As far as the wear, many members have been running the 180 tstat for a long time with no issues. In my opinion, running 30 degrees (14%) cooler isnt going to cause a tremendous amount of wear over stock. Not disagreeing with them just giving a different point of view.

The first article has the same mentality, they are talking from the idea of just swapping the tstat without a tune. It does not take any longer to reach operating temp than it does with the stock tstat and with a tune your fans will kick on when you want them to so the whole sitting in traffic example is invalid in this scenario. Also during WOT my temps never get above 185.

They talk about the intake temps and say the cooler tstat doesnt matter, because once you get going the air is moving too fast to have any effect. While the air might be moving quickly and actually be much cooler, the sensors are now heat soaked and take AT LEAST 5 minutes of driving at 60+ to come back down to ambient temps. Reduce that heat soak in any way and your IAT's will not suffer as much. With their theory then all of the air duct cooling systems on performance cars are useless...

The idea isnt to gain more power, its to avoid LOSING power from heat.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
If I understand correctly....

There are a few things they didnt mention or missed.

The SRT team said the computer will try to go back to the stock table, thats only on the stock tune.
....exhausts, headers and intakes will NOT yeild performance gains UNLESS you get a tune, because the computer is controlling performance parameters. Just want comfirmation. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
....exhausts, headers and intakes will NOT yeild performance gains UNLESS you get a tune, because the computer is controlling performance parameters. Just want comfirmation. Thanx.
Correct.

But even on a stock tune I gained MPG with the LMI True CAI and the heat soak was drastically reduced.

Reactions: c26bt34c
1 - 15 of 15 Posts