Dodge Challenger Forum banner

After Bolt on mods, is a tuner necessary?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  DTru 
#1 ·
I was talking to a mechanic today, i had just purchased an Borla ATAK exhaust system and an LMI Hammer CAI for my 2014 Challenger RT 6m. He mentioned those bolt-on mods will give you some noticable performance but had mentioned if I want all gains from the bolt on mods, get a Tuner. Is it really necessarry for a simple bolt-on mods like those to need a tuner? Usually a tuner would be used for cam mods or heads, right for ecu not wack out on you?

#3 ·
A canned tune will help a little with the reduction of torque management. What you really want to get is a custom tune. This removes ALL torque management and squeezes out as much HP as your car can muster, given the mods you have. :yesnod:

#8 ·
During the winter no, its not necessary and you would be better off with the stock tstat as a 180 will reduce your MPG on top of the crappy winter gas. During the summer they make a world of difference since these cars really suffer from heat soak.

#7 ·
A cat back is really just for sound. The factory intake system is already a cold air intake but the LMI drastically improves the recovery from heat soak, and gives a little boost to MPG and power.

You may feel some difference immediately after install but after driving a few miles the computer will adjust and from then on it will probably feel the same.

Tunes work wonders on these cars and they are not just for cam/heads/FI. Automatics really feel a difference but with a manual, the canned tunes wont be anything drastic. Like Omaha said, the custom tunes are really where its at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.