Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the Chally has been hibernating for 6 months.

Anyone have any suggestions onanything special a fella should do upon first start up?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just double checked the oil level, took a quick look around the engine compartment for any left over tools or obstructions from winter mods. Before I started the car I cranked the engine over without starting it. To do this hold the pedal to the floor with the clutch pedal held in as well. Turn the key like you trying to start the car. The car won't start but it will move the pistons up and down and lubricate the cylinder walls. This is the method for clearing a flooded engine. Not sure if it made any difference at all but it made me feel better since I hadn't run the car in about 6 months.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It is getting close for me also to wake up the beast from hibernating. I disconnected the negative from the battery as where I stored it there was no electrical outlet for a battery tender. I sure hope it will startup. I am sure I will have to recalibrate the auto window down when the door opens. Probably also the feature of opening the window from the fob.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start up

Thanks...that's the info I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I just double checked the oil level, took a quick look around the engine compartment for any left over tools or obstructions from winter mods. Before I started the car I cranked the engine over without starting it. To do this hold the pedal to the floor with the clutch pedal held in as well. Turn the key like you trying to start the car. The car won't start but it will move the pistons up and down and lubricate the cylinder walls. This is the method for clearing a flooded engine. Not sure if it made any difference at all but it made me feel better since I hadn't run the car in about 6 months.
hmm i did not know that! where did you learn that trick?

·
Banned
262 Posts
Wondering if this would also work with the automatics.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yeah it is typical for any electronic fuel injected car not to inject fuel when cranked at WOT, but if you are a bit less than WOT, she'll go VAROOOM! :lol:

I am not sure if it is worth much effort, it lubes the engine by moving it over, but if the engine started, it would do the same thing more or less, running the car at high load right away (i.e. burnouts) not really good until it's warmed but just idling, not much of a big deal...

If you haven't taken care of the battery you might want to go and bring a battery charger or some jumper cables with you though...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just took mine out of hibernation this morning. I had disconnected the + of the battery and had absolutely no problem to start it up. It came to life just as if i had parked it yesterday.

The biggest problem i ran through was reconnecting the battery. I hadn't noticed there was no key hole on the trunk and the car was next to a wall so i could only get in from the driver's side. Since the driver's seat is electric, someone had to climb to the back (my mom came with me to get the car), and get in the trunk by folding the back seats and then pull the trunk release hatch. That was quite an adventure...

I'll know it for next year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It does work with autos. I think you hold the brake and gas to the floor. I'm pretty sure its in the owners manual

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ok so the Chally has been hibernating for 6 months.

Anyone have any suggestions onanything special a fella should do upon first start up?

Yes, first off refrain from referring to the car as "Chally",

It's gay and disrespectful to the vehicle,
It's a Challenger, or "The Challenger",

Check the air in the tires, fluids, put on your favorite shades and roll.
:smoker:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't like the name 'Chally' either.

but i don't think its your place to tell a man what he can or cannot refer to his car as. It's his hard earned cash that he spent on the car. his car, he can call it whatever he likes.

its just disrespectful to the man.....is it not?

Yes, first off refrain from referring to the car as "Chally",

It's gay and disrespectful to the vehicle,
It's a Challenger, or "The Challenger",

Check the air in the tires, fluids, put on your favorite shades and roll.
:smoker:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't like the name 'Chally' either.

but i don't think its your place to tell a man what he can or cannot refer to his car as. It's his hard earned cash that he spent on the car. his car, he can call it whatever he likes.

its just disrespectful to the man.....is it not?
damn straight!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey

Hey whos there fellas....no disrespect intended ..sorry if it offended your tender little feelings...hahaha

But hey as a Major Crimes detective, any case i investigated there had to be "intent"...in this case no intent was ever thought of or formed....just a tired guy that was on the forums too late at night.

Anyways I know my Challenger forgives me as "CHEKM8"..started up first turn over this afternoon after a six month hibernation...is that cool or what???

WHAT A CHALLY..eh?...ohhhh they are going to get me for that..hehehelol:guiness:
Kojak:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just started mine up after a 6 month hibernation. I noticed as I was first starting it up there was a code on the dash with boxes around it. I did not catch what the code was as it disappeared once it started. It started right up with no issues. All I had was the negative disconnected during hibernation. I also did not need to calibrate the windows or anything.
I read earlier in the thread that someone had the positive disconnected. I always thought we should be leaving the positive alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts