Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015+ SGI (6 Speakers + Amp) Upgrade Options

As the title says.. I'm looking to completely upgrade the audio in my 15 Challenger SXT+

I believe I have the sound group 1 package as the door speaker grills say Alpine but I have no Sub. I'll check tomorrow under the dash for the amp. But assuming that is the package I have, I have a few questions that hopefully some of you have already been through and could easily answer.

I'm a bit of a beginner in car audio but I am very experienced in diy'ing. I am comfortable with cutting, trimming and splicing if I absolutely need to.. but my goal is to do it without so that everything has the potential to return back to stock if need be.

MY expectations are not to win any competitions, just to merely increase the quality of the already decent sound quality that I have now. I have no cap on my budget, but i don't plan on paying ungodly amounts for certain name brands or db levels.

That all being said....

The biggest issue I believe I will have an issue with without ripping everything apart to find out for myself, is the width and depth of the factory cutouts.

I guess I'll start from the front and work my way to the back. Over the course of my research, one brand name kept popping up and that brand is Sundown Audio. They make a speaker for every cutout size I need except for the 3.5 so I'll have to divert a little bit there. But I'd like to keep everythign else inline with that brand unless I'm presented with a viable alternative.

The 3.5 cutouts in the front.. Would it be more benificial to just put 3.5 speakers in there or use the tweeters with a makeshift mount from a component 6x9 set. (I'm thinking the component would be a better option if that channel is truley blocking highs, unless an aftermarket amp could solve that issue). And as with all the speakers I'm about to mention, could you help me with the depth of those factory cutouts.

For the 6x9 door speakers, are these merely mid bass speakers or is the signal from the amp telling that channel to block the highs? I don't want to buy 2 ways if the tweeter won't be utilized. (I'm debating either the Sundown SA-69CX for coaxial or the Focal ISS 690 if I go the component route). Also what is the max depth of that cutout.. I don't mind shaving the water block.

Ok so the fronts are hopefully the easy part.. now lets get into the meat.

The rear deck has 3 speaker cutouts.. two 6.5 and an 8" sub. I plan on filling all these cutouts. Sundown has a 6.5" subwoofer option (X-6.5SW) and an 8" option (X-8). These 3 speakers would potentially be powered by a Sundown 2000 amp (SAE-2000D) or the smaller Sundown 1500 amp (SAE-1500D) if I could get away with it.

Would it pose any issue putting subs in the rear deck that are meant for boxes?

LOC options.
I've had my eye on the AudioControl LOC (LC2i) for some time now, but have recently found the PAC Audio LOC (AP4-CH41). Hopefully someone could give feedback about the comparison of the 2 and if the PAC Audio option is really worth more than 4 times the cost of the AudioControl option.

If need be, I would also entertain the option of powering the front 4 speakers with a second amp

·
Registered
120 Posts
As the title says.. I'm looking to completely upgrade the audio in my 15 Challenger SXT+

I believe I have the sound group 1 package as the door speaker grills say Alpine but I have no Sub. I'll check tomorrow under the dash for the amp. But assuming that is the package I have, I have a few questions that hopefully some of you have already been through and could easily answer.

I'm a bit of a beginner in car audio but I am very experienced in diy'ing. I am comfortable with cutting, trimming and splicing if I absolutely need to.. but my goal is to do it without so that everything has the potential to return back to stock if need be.

My expectations are not to win any competitions, just to merely increase the quality of the already decent sound quality that I have now. I have no cap on my budget, but i don't plan on paying ungodly amounts for certain name brands or db levels.

That all being said....

The biggest issue I believe I will have, without ripping everything apart to find out for myself, is figuring out the width and depth of the factory cutouts.

I guess I'll start from the front and work my way to the back. Over the course of my research on aftermarket equipment, one brand name kept popping up and that brand is Sundown Audio. They make a speaker for every cutout size I need except for the 3.5 so I may have to divert a little bit there. But I'd like to keep everythign else inline with that brand unless I'm presented with a viable alternative.

For the 3.5 cutouts in the front.. Would it be more benificial to just put aftermarket 3.5 speakers in there or use the tweeters with a makeshift mount from a component 6x9 set. (I'm thinking the component would be a better option if that channel is truley blocking highs, unless an aftermarket amp could solve that issue). And as with all the speakers I'm about to mention, could you help me with the depth of those factory cutouts.

For the 6x9 door speakers, are these merely mid bass speakers or is the signal from the amp telling that channel to block the highs? I don't want to buy 2 ways if the tweeter won't be utilized. (I'm debating either the Sundown SA-69CX for coaxial or the Focal ISS 690 if I go the component route). Also what is the max depth of that cutout.. I don't mind shaving the water block.

Ok so the fronts are hopefully the easy part.. now lets get into the meat.

The rear deck has 3 speaker cutouts.. two 6.5 and an 8" sub. I plan on filling all these cutouts. Sundown has a 6.5" subwoofer option (X-6.5SW) and an 8" option (X-8). These 3 speakers would potentially be powered by a Sundown 2000 amp (SAE-2000D) or the smaller Sundown 1500 amp (SAE-1500D) if I could get away with it.

Would it pose any issue putting subs in the rear deck that are meant for boxes?

LOC options.
I've had my eye on the AudioControl LOC (LC2i) for some time now, but have recently found the PAC Audio LOC (AP4-CH41). Hopefully someone could give feedback about the comparison of the 2 and if the PAC Audio option is really worth more than 4 times the cost of the AudioControl option.

If need be, I would also entertain the option of powering the front 4 speakers with a second amp
You may want to check out my thread...I just finished this journey.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/2018-6-speaker-alpine-upgrade-638537/?638537=#post8141361

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is a picture of some speaker adapters I made this morning for a 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack. The 3.5" dash speakers in this vehicle are being replaced with high end audiophile grade Audiofrog GB25's. An adapter was routed out of 3/8" King Starboard. This material is chosen for its lightweight yet waterproof and ridgid construction. It is a plastic material that I make all my speaker adapters from that is rated for marine use. A relief was routed into the material to flush the speaker to the adapter and then Soundskins rings were applied in order to make sure sound goes exactly where we want it. Here is a quick album I put together. Keep in mind these items are hand made on a router table so slight imperfections are present. https://photos.app.goo.gl/I1ZSzsedX9kAHRyx1

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here is a picture of some speaker adapters I made this morning for a 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack. The 3.5" dash speakers in this vehicle are being replaced with high end audiophile grade Audiofrog GB25's. An adapter was routed out of 3/8" King Starboard. This material is chosen for its lightweight yet waterproof and ridgid construction. It is a plastic material that I make all my speaker adapters from that is rated for marine use. A relief was routed into the material to flush the speaker to the adapter and then Soundskins rings were applied in order to make sure sound goes exactly where we want it. Here is a quick album I put together. Keep in mind these items are hand made on a router table so slight imperfections are present. https://photos.app.goo.gl/I1ZSzsedX9kAHRyx1
Those should work nicely...high end stuff! Hope your systems turns out awesome!

·
Registered
184 Posts
These are my dash, doors, and rear deck. I am still gathering parts to start my install.
I am going to run a 6 channel amplifier with 40w per side for the dash and 75w to each of the others.
I also have a JL Audio 10w6 that is going to get 600watts.
Either the Rockford DSR1 or Pac Audio Amp Pro are the only things I would use to connect with the stock radio.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may want to check out my thread...I just finished this journey.
Nice work.. I like how clean you have everything stashed away in the spare tire compartment. I may have to copy your idea there. lol You said something about an enclosure for the rear deck sub.. can you ellaborate on that and / or take pics?

Nice, I may need your services if I decide to go with a component tweeter up there or a 2.5"

These are my dash, doors, and rear deck. I am still gathering parts to start my install.
I am going to run a 6 channel amplifier with 40w per side for the dash and 75w to each of the others.
Either the Rockford DSR1 or Pac Audio Amp Pro are the only things I would use to connect with the stock radio.
Did you happen to measure the depth of the factory cutouts? I would order 7 speakers this very second if I knew they would all for sure fit.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,933 Posts
If you use Crutchfield to see what fits, you can then find the dimensions of those speakers. You then know speakers of those size will fit without modifications. You'll also know what metra adapters you can use to use the factory plugs. For instance, dash speakers, Crutchfield lists these as Best fit

Best Fit (1).jpg

JL Audio C7-350cm.jpg

Kicker 43CSC354.jpg

Kicker 43DSC3504.jpg

Kicker 44KSC3504.jpg

For some reason Infinity doesn't list the Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx, but you can get general dimensions elsewhere. if you add the speakers to the cart, they include the adapters, and you can get the numbers there

Metra 71-039C Speaker Wiring Adapters - Front

You can take advantage of Crutchfield's research

I hope this doesn't sound stupid :D

A Guy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can take advantage of Crutchfield's research

I hope this doesn't sound stupid :D
It doesn't.. in fact, that's the first thing I did. Except I used Sonicelectorix instead. I was convinced for the longest time that I had 6x9's in the rear deck thanks to them. It still shows til this day if you look it up. So my "having faith in online catalog companies" level dropped a little bit because of that.

But crutchfield is showing all 6.5's and 5.25's so you may be on to something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice work.. I like how clean you have everything stashed away in the spare tire compartment. I may have to copy your idea there. lol You said something about an enclosure for the rear deck sub.. can you ellaborate on that and / or take pics
My JL Audio sub recommends a 9”x10”x10” sealed enclosure. Because I mounted my sub in the rear deck it’s going to take a bit of work to fabricate a box the fits the countour of the underside of the deck and has the ability to mount to the underside with minimal/no modification to the factory structure. Check back as I’m gonna get to it but I have to go out of town for a week for work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
How do you like that CDT 6x9 sub? Have you noticed a difference?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
They are not installed yet. My DSR1 arrives today so I need to see when my installer can get to my car.
Oh, so you aren't going to use the stock amplifier... Good for you, but darn, lol, I was hoping to hear how they sound with the stock amp.

I bought the infinity Kappa 300m 3.5" for the front, but held off on replacing the door speakers. Kinda torn. Not sure I want to just replace the door speakers with the CDTs, or buy the Kappa Perfect component 6x9 to add the 300m and how I will wire them as a three way since the doors are separate from the dash. But they aren't cheap, lol. So that's why I was looking into the CDT subs. I don't need to spend a lot of money on it.. I love the motor sound more, I just want to be able to hear a well rounded system, as of now, all u hear is the highs...

I saw a video of a guy that just bypassed the door wiring and wired the dash and door together, but not sure how that would work. But he said it sounds great because he can now use the 2 way 6x9 he bought.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took advantage of a nice day today. Step one is complete. Sound deadening..

Sent from my Note 8

·
Registered
120 Posts
Took advantage of a nice day today. Step one is complete. Sound deadening..

Sent from my Note 8
Man you are going all out! Nice job!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Curious how those Kappas fit.. Crutchfield is saying they don't
The 3.5 fit the hole and have clearance, but the stockers have 2 mount holes and the Kappa have 4. So you either have to cut the dash, or, do what I did and cut the extra two tabs off. After that, they fit fine. They sound awesome BTW, but if you have the base 4 or 6 speaker system with no amp, there won't be much of an improvement wothout an amp added. I find out that there is a 6 speaker system that is not amped, just so happens I had that cheap ass system, junky speakers.

I put the Kappa 6.5 in the back as well.. I bought a Clarion 300w 4 channel micro amp to stick under the dash, as I didn't want a trunk mount or one under the seat. And it made a huge difference... I am very impressed. The 3.5 are very bright. But have to wonder how much thinks would improve if more place the crappy door speakers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
With the Kappa in the dash what are you doing for highs? The Kappa only go to 10khz so that leaves a big hole in the upper end.
I have some Kappa 2 way 6.5" in the rear deck. But the 3.5 are surprisingly bright. I have plenty of highs for now... I'll be replacing the door speakers in the near future with either the Kappa 6x9 component, or a 2 or 3 way 6x9.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Round 2 of sound deadening complete..

So I decided to get the trunk deadening out of the way for when I install the sub.

Sent from my Note 8

1 - 20 of 27 Posts