Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m the original owner of a 2009 Challenger 6 Sp Man, Infernored, with all OEM available options (only 37,000 miles on Odometer.) To bad a backup camera wasn't offered that year, although I learned years ago from another Challenger Forum member that my RER Stereo would accept the 2007 and beyond Jeep backup camera kit and allow connecting it to the radio, thus having OEM factory backup camera. (Wish I had the know-how and confidence to do that installation personally.) (The Crysler 300 had the same radio, WITH OEM backup camera. That's how we know it would work.) ALAS! Too bad the guy lived over 1,000 miles distant from me. I'm thinking about tackling the installation of an aftermarket backup camera, (namely Crutchfield's $99 Boyo VTC500DIY 5" monitor and backup camera kit.) In order to do it I need to know what color coded wire goes to the backup lights. They're located inside the trunk lid, but the camera hotwire is not long enough to snake across the trunk floor, up the hinge and back to the trunk lid rear again. The wiring bundle is located under the trunk carpeting at the trunk's rear. Could someone tell me what color wire to splice into to provide power to the backup camera ONLY when shifting into reverse gear? Any comments on this subject would be appreciative. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
573 Posts
I"m the original owner of a 2009 Challenger 6 Sp Man, Infernored, with all OEM available options (only 37,000 miles on Odometer.) To bad a backup camera wasn't offered that year, although I learned years ago from another Challenger Forum member that my RER Stereo would accept the 2007 and beyond Jeep backup camera kit and allow connecting it to the radio, thus having OEM factory backup camera. (Wish I had the know-how and confidence to do that installation personally.) (The Crysler 300 had the same radio, WITH OEM backup camera. That's how we know it would work.) ALAS! Too bad the guy lived over 1,000 miles distant from me. I'm thinking about tackling the installation of an aftermarket backup camera, (namely Crutchfield's $99 Boyo VTC500DIY 5" monitor and backup camera kit.) In order to do it I need to know what color coded wire goes to the backup lights. They're located inside the trunk lid, but the camera hotwire is not long enough to snake across the trunk floor, up the hinge and back to the trunk lid rear again. The wiring bundle is located under the trunk carpeting at the trunk's rear. Could someone tell me what color wire to splice into to provide power to the backup camera ONLY when shifting into reverse gear? Any comments on this subject would be appreciative. Thanks.
I always thought it would be neat to have it not only turn on while in Reverse but if you had an additional feed running from a switch somewhere that would let you turn it on in addition to that whenever you want.

Also, my 2008 already had a license plate camera added to it when I found it and it's the stock head unit. Not sure exactly what all they had to do to get it to work but there is a way to do it apparently.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,461 Posts
Looks like White/Light Green

A Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts