Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to aftermarket cams and I was hoping to get some advice on which cam to go with for my application and wants.

First option is the 392 cam. I've seen many success stories on the forum here about this cam but I've also seen posts where people insist they lost power. Unsure how I feel about this one.

Second option is the Arrington cc541 (Xc-blue) cam. I've heard very little about this cam but everything I have heard is positive. Supposedly a good midrange cam.

My 2009 R/T Auto is my daily driver. I would like good street manners, increased power/torque through the whole range, noticeable idle (would like but not necessary), fuel mileage isn't really a big deal. Any suggestions besides the two I listed are also welcome. In the future I plan to either stroke to 392 or supercharge...or both :thumbsup: any experience info would be appreciated

·
Registered
637 Posts
X2 what he said ^^^.

I would hope this spring/summer that some real track times exisist. I will be reporting my changes and I hope guys who did the 6.4 cam do the same.

You might want to wait and decide in six months. I can tell you that Dave over at MM is awesome to deal with and will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 392 cam has been beat to death so I wont go into detail other than I believe some are going to be disappointed when they go to the track.

if I had a 5.7 I would contact Dave Weber ( Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums - View Profile: David Weber ) about a custom cam to fit my wants.

I think a custom cam may be a little out of my price range, I was hoping to get the whole job done for somewhere around 1500, but I think I'll still contact him and maybe try to get an idea of the cost for the future

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
You might be a little light on the coin. Seems most are costing 2g
Unless you do it yourself. But, you better know what your doing if you do it yourself.
I would call Modern Muscle and see what Dave can do.
Flattop

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Thanks for the complement guys, To the OP just an FYI the cc541 is just a re-grind of a factory cam. Any other questions feel free to give me a call or shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing a bit more research and considering my options I have substantially upped my budget, I was going to install myself but now I'm thinking about a bigger cam and more in depth install, something I dont really want to bother with.

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
403 Posts
After doing a bit more research and considering my options I have substantially upped my budget, I was going to install myself but now I'm thinking about a bigger cam and more in depth install, something I dont really want to bother with.
Cam choices and which one to get is getting more complicated as more come to market for the VVT 5.7L. With that said, and with the new prices for the 392 OEM cam, they are at least getting closer in the price range of each other so give or take a few $$ there is not much difference. Look for proven results. There are many results posted on the various forums. Most have gains up high at 4000 rpms and above. Most all will require a converter to get the maximum gains from the cam install. (If you plan to track the car) IMO, the only cam that has proven gains down low, mid range and above 4000 rpms over stock is the MM Custom Grind. There have been several installs and some have been independently dyno'd. PM me if you want to look at some of the results. Good Luck, you will like the added power!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts