Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put aftermarket coil packs on their 3.6? Is it worth it?

RIPP sells them for less than $300 and claims it gives the 3.6 better gas mileage and more HP over the OEM coil packs.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,801 Posts
Only dyno evidence comes from Ripp. Served with a grain of salt

12 HP with no other changes on this 3.6L Ram

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,083 Posts
When I was a kid, 17 yrs old. I was conned into this on an old small block. Get and MSD or Accel, try this plug, that plug, after switching ignition setups 3 times, I went back to the factory Distributor and Champion plugs, it ran perfect and did not foul plugs. Unless you are really going after the very last .01 in the quarter mile going from 8.00 to 7.99 seconds and changing plugs after every round, it is probably just a waste of money and effort to mess with Mopar's stock ignition.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,429 Posts
Only dyno evidence comes from Ripp. Served with a grain of salt

12 HP with no other changes on this 3.6L Ram

A Guy
12 HP...really? Don't get me wrong, on my jet boat I went from points to a pentronix and it truly improved performance but these engines are already using high output coils. Even the HC uses the same coils as a 5.7(68238603AA) only difference is they run more dwell in the tune. I wonder what the new drag pack is running?

Well, hot rod magazine claims aftermarket coil packs apparently work on the HEMIs.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
The difference/variable between dyno runs can be 12HP.

I wouldn't waste my money on aftermarket coil packs.

Just a pretty color, period.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,768 Posts
For a daily driver, no.

For a car that spends all its time chasing lower ETs, maybe...

Reactions: ChallyTatum
1 - 9 of 9 Posts