Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;

I searched the forums and couldn’t find anything on this subject so I thought I would ask the question. My 2011 R/T Classic STP appears to need a new alternator. I’ve done quite a bit of modifications for both performance and appearance so I figured if I’m going to buy an alternator, I may as well spend some extra and get a nice chrome/polished alternator to add to the appearance of my engine bay.

Well, after looking around, I cannot find anything but “factory” type replacements and those are few and far between, most costing $300+. I’m an old school muscle car guy (I have a 1970 Olds 442 and a 1974 Corvette also) so I’m used to going to Summit or Jegs and finding things like alternators and starters by the bushel, but with the Dodge Hemi, basic aftermarket parts (like the starter and alternator) seem to be a rare breed.

Am I missing something? I honestly feel foolish for asking, but after numerous searches, I just can’t seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance for your time and any help!!

RW

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#1 thanks for everyone’s quick replies! Ken – that’s exactly what I was thinking, buy an alternator and have it polished (or, dare I say, try to do it myself…).

RoadTrippin, thanks for the info on the recall! I’m going to take my Challenger to a dealer and have the recall checked out!! The article you pointed to is EXACTLY what happen to me.

Basically, I was in a long Taco Bell drive-thru line. My car was in Drive (auto) with my foot on the brake for about 10 minutes total, idling somewhere around 700 RPMish. Then, out of nowhere, it revs up to about 1100 RPM for about a second. I was wondering what the hell happen (and thankfully I had my foot firmly on the breaks!)! So now I’m watching my dash. About a minute later it happens again and as the RPM’s jump, my alternator light flashes on, and then goes off. That fits neatly with the recall stating “could cause engine stalling” part of the recall notice.

So, that said, I would still like to find a polished/chrome alternator for my 5.7 Hemi, but I WILL be looking into this recall!! A $300+ alternator on Dodge's dime sounds really good right about now!

RW

·
Registered
77 Posts
My car is on the recall list but parts aren't available. There is an area to have them contact you once parts available.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
There is a recall on alternators on Challengers.Contact a dealer and get it fixed for free.
Parts aren't available right now, they sent me a recall sheet, said when the parts are available they would send out another notice.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts