Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have 2011 Challenger Rallye V6 and from what I see on the bottom, the middle of the car has the tubular shaped parts, (from what I’ve read, those are the mufflers)....at the back of the car where the “suitcases” (I think those are the resonators), should be there are Flowmaster 40’s....the drone is too much for me....so here are my questions:

1) If I replace the tubular “mid-mufflers” with either Magnaflow 10415 or Different Trends Flow 2’s 49265 what can I put on at the rear if I don’t want to straight pipe past the mid mufflers? Is there an aftermarket resonator available?

2) If I can’t find an aftermarket resonator, can anyone recommend where to get stock resonators? (I’ve seen some on line but most are off of RT’s or higher. Will they work on a V6 or are they configured differently changing the sound of a v6?
Any help would be appreciated...I’m new to the forum thing and this is the first I’m dealing with an exhaust. Thanks in advance for any help/insight you guys can share!

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,512 Posts
1) there are aftermarket resonators, try summit racing, jegs, or some place like that. Your exhaust is 2.25” I.D., matching inlet/outlet on the resonator is about all you need to do for an aftermarket reso I think.

2) the R/T resonators will be 2.5” inlet/outlet, so they won’t fit your exhaust pipe’s size. Your local Dodge dealership’s parts department can sell you the OE resonators like what came on your car.

There is a different exhaust setup for your car that you should consider before deciding how to proceed - replace the dual si/so (single inlet/single outlet) mufflers with a single di/do (dual inlet/dual outlet) muffler and keep the resonators deleted (or replace them eventually if so desired).

Having a single muffler that gets all 6 cylinders’ exhaust pulses from the engine makes for a deeper exhaust note than the single inlet/outlet ones you have now that only get 3 cylinders each.

I used to have a Challenger with the 3.6L, and I went this route with my exhaust and loved it. Here are some sound clips I recorded if the exhaust on my Challenger:

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,512 Posts
The one I went with was the Jones Full Boar muffler part #4554.

Others have gone with it as well and reported similar results (much preferred over previous exhaust ‘upgrades’ and much better than stock setup).

I’ve seen comparisons between that JFB muffler and a couple different Flowmaster mufflers like the Super 44 and Delta 50, but I cannot say how much truth there is to those comparisons as I’ve not heard any of those other mufflers on the 3.6L in a Challenger.

If you do a search on here for JFB 3.6, you’ll get back several threads worth of discussion on this muffler and these cars. Reading through those should give you an idea of what others think about it besides just my opinion.

·
Read Only
44 Posts
1) there are aftermarket resonators, try summit racing, jegs, or some place like that. Your exhaust is 2.25” I.D., matching inlet/outlet on the resonator is about all you need to do for an aftermarket reso I think.

2) the R/T resonators will be 2.5” inlet/outlet, so they won’t fit your exhaust pipe’s size. Your local Dodge dealership’s parts department can sell you the OE resonators like what came on your car.

There is a different exhaust setup for your car that you should consider before deciding how to proceed - replace the dual si/so (single inlet/single outlet) mufflers with a single di/do (dual inlet/dual outlet) muffler and keep the resonators deleted (or replace them eventually if so desired).

Having a single muffler that gets all 6 cylinders’ exhaust pulses from the engine makes for a deeper exhaust note than the single inlet/outlet ones you have now that only get 3 cylinders each.

I used to have a Challenger with the 3.6L, and I went this route with my exhaust and loved it. Here are some sound clips I recorded if the exhaust on my Challenger:

Just to confirm this setup. Are the rear muffler/resonators deleted?

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,512 Posts
Just to confirm this setup. Are the rear muffler/resonators deleted?
correct

installation involved chopping both stock exhaust pipes before stock mufflers and removing everything from there to the back, including resonators under rear bumper.

New muffler was installed at cut spot, with both pipes emptying into the single muffler, and new exhaust pipes were added to exit muffler and go all the way back to rear bumper where OE tips were installed.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,512 Posts
Here’s a pic of my 2011 after the muffler upgrade. The only thing not visible is the rear end where the pipes exit. If you could see that, you would not see any resos there, only the OE tips

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the drone? That’s what I’m trying to eliminate, even if it means going back to stock....(I’m too old for that! Lol).

·
Read Only
44 Posts
Here’s a pic of my 2011 after the muffler upgrade. The only thing not visible is the rear end where the pipes exit. If you could see that, you would not see any resos there, only the OE tips
Thanks and
I have a 2019 Challenger sxt awd. I will try to search this application on YouTube. I know there could be sound differences because of all the variations.I could only find the Full Boars in aluminized and I’m looking for a stainless system at this point. Thank you so much for the help

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,512 Posts
How is the drone? That’s what I’m trying to eliminate, even if it means going back to stock....(I’m too old for that! Lol).
I’m the wrong person to ask about drone. I honestly have only heard it in one car, a turbo Diesel Jetta that had some farm truck exhaust on it. Beyond that, I couldn’t say whether or not any of the Challengers I’ve had or my current Charger has increased drone from my exhaust upgrades.

I know I can hear the exhaust better, but I want that, I use the sound of the engine to gauge RPM for AutoStick manual shifts without looking down at the tachometer.

I do listen to podcasts on long trips sometimes, and the exhaust is never loud enough to drown the voices out, if that helps any...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts