Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I finally got my hands on a 2015 M6 scat pack earlier this year. I'm looking to add a shaker hood ASAP. I definitely want the OEM part.

Because of the cost to purchase the new hood, have it shipped and painted, and having to redo my vinyl stripes, I'm considering getting my body shop to cut a hole in the stock hood, and just installing the shaker kit.

Has anyone done this, or seen it done on a 2015+ R/T hood? I'm worried about how it will look because the hood that comes with the shaker is flat, while the stock one is raised in the middle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hi everyone! I finally got my hands on a 2015 M6 scat pack earlier this year. I'm looking to add a shaker hood ASAP. I definitely want the OEM part.

Because of the cost to purchase the new hood, have it shipped and painted, and having to redo my vinyl stripes, I'm considering getting my body shop to cut a hole in the stock hood, and just installing the shaker kit.

Has anyone done this, or seen it done on a 2015+ R/T hood? I'm worried about how it will look because the hood that comes with the shaker is flat, while the stock one is raised in the middle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you guys!
Should cost you about 3 times as much doing it that way vs buying OEM. I charge $150 an hour for body labor on aluminum.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They did one on " *****en rides" last year. It came out great, but if its about the cost,i would go stock. The Cervini shaker is real nice and affordable.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Will look like crap with the stock hood because of the existing vents and by the time you buy the shaker scoop and have the work done you could buy the Cervini shaker and have it painted.Better to do nothing than to do it wrong.Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure how to reply directly to posts yet.

I saw the one on "*****en rides" and got the idea from them. I wonder how it will look since the 2015 hood is a bit different.

The body shop quoted me about $100 plus the price of the kit/install. He seemed to think cutting the hole would be easy.

That seems pretty good considering getting the new hood would be an extra $2,000 at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

I saw the one on "*****en rides" and got the idea from them. I wonder how it will look since the 2015 hood is a bit different.

The body shop quoted me about $100 plus the price of the kit/install. He seemed to think cutting the hole would be easy.

That seems pretty good considering getting the new hood would be an extra $2,000 at the end of the day.

He quoted you $100 because he doesn't yet know what needs to be done. I actually am a professional in this field and know what needs to be done, including fitting the shaker ring and getting the simulated air intake to sit high enough for the stock R/T hood.

I'm giving you a quote of $6,000 painted and out the door. It may go higher (at $150 an hour). I would turn you away if you asked me to do it for $5,500.

But please, go pay $100 and post pics. Should be good for a laugh.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts

It doesn't look right without a flat hood with a shaker scoop.

You have the hood vents + a shaker scoop together - the center section on an R/T hood is taller for the bulge and the vents. I've seen a couple in person - and they don't look all that great.

Here's some side shots of the OEM shaker & hood on my '16, the scoop doesn't sit up all that tall through the hood:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OregonScat,

That is why I am on here. I need professional opinions. I know there will fitment issues.

I'm just having a hard time understanding how cutting my hood will be more expensive.

The mopar kit is around $1900.
The mopar hood is around $1,500 (unpainted)
So I'm guessing around $4,000 shipped
Then it needs painting, installing, and I'll need custom vinyl stripes for the new hood.
And I'll be stuck with the old hood.

So you're saying if I just get the shaker kit for $1900, have them cut a hole and fit it, without painting, without buying a new hood, and without buying new stripes, it will cost over $6,000?

I'm genuinely asking. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
OregonScat,

That is why I am on here. I need professional opinions. I know there will fitment issues.

I'm just having a hard time understanding how cutting my hood will be more expensive.

The mopar kit is around $1900.
The mopar hood is around $1,500 (unpainted)
So I'm guessing around $4,000 shipped
Then it needs painting, installing, and I'll need custom vinyl stripes for the new hood.
And I'll be stuck with the old hood.

So you're saying if I just get the shaker kit for $1900, have them cut a hole and fit it, without painting, without buying a new hood, and without buying new stripes, it will cost over $6,000?

I'm genuinely asking. Thanks for the help.
If the kit is $1,900, then I would change you a minimum of $7,900.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It's funny that you think it's just cutting a hole in an aluminum hood.

Anyway.... do what you want. I'm out and won't be posting in this thread again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hal H,

That's what I was worried about. I'd rather pay more for it to look right. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,635 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Save your money and get the Cervinis Shaker hood. It sits higher and the hood creases are more pronounced. Makes the Dodge OEM Shaker system look like child's play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have thought about the cervini hood, I guess I just need to see one in person.

Also I want to add a procharger later on, and I don't know if it will work with the cervini kit.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I would, if it was me and I wanted a Shaker, get the AFR set up, if you want to save money, loose the racing stripes, they are ugly anyway, and do the new hood matte black.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
How about looking for a hood and stuff from a salvage yard? Should be less than buying new.

Or better yet, sell your car and buy a Shaker. Probably the cheapest option.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
How about looking for a hood and stuff from a salvage yard? Should be less than buying new.

Or better yet, sell your car and buy a Shaker. Probably the cheapest option.
There aren't that many that were built; probably won't find many in salvage yards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The stripes look great so definitely not losing them.

Also I got a good deal on my car, so selling it and buying a whole new car isn't a feasible option.

Plus I've already swapped the shifter for a custom one, done a mid muffler delete, swapped the r/t badge for a scatpack charger one, and added some led interior trim lights. So I'm personalizing it slowly.

After looking into cervinis kit, it's just not what I want. You can't fit it with a procharger, and I don't want a fiberglass hood. It does look good though.

The salvage yard may not be a bad idea. I'd just have to be really lucky.

Probably just going to save up and get the mopar setup. It'll be a pain to paint and redo the hood stripes but it'll be worth it in the end.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts