Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger 2015
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably pounding this topic into the ground - so apologies if discussed 100 times over. :fight:

I can get a 2018 Scat Pack, 8 spd auto - pretty much bare bones for around $37k. Throw down 10k and 6 year financing comes to around $510 a month.

or

I have seen a few of 2015 SRT's (I know the difference between SRT and Scat Pack :smile: ) that have around 22,000 miles for around $33k. With a smaller down and 5 year financing I could get in it for about $600 a month.

With your guys experience on the Scat Pack / SRT specifically: Should I get a 2018 with not many options or 2015/2016 with everything?

Thanks in advance :grin2:

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Probably pounding this topic into the ground - so apologies if discussed 100 times over. :fight:

I can get a 2018 Scat Pack, 8 spd auto - pretty much bare bones for around $37k. Throw down 10k and 6 year financing comes to around $510 a month.

or

I have seen a few of 2015 SRT's (I know the difference between SRT and Scat Pack :smile: ) that have around 22,000 miles for around $33k. With a smaller down and 5 year financing I could get in it for about $600 a month.

With your guys experience on the Scat Pack / SRT specifically: Should I get a 2018 with not many options or 2015/2016 with everything?

Are you going to keep the cars past their warranty?

How attached are you to ventilated/heated seats or a sunroof?

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 8 speed alone is worth the few more $. It is a world of difference in my opinion, its like a different car and shifts like the best I have ever seen...... Hands down go with the 8 speed...

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
I ordered a '16 SP "bare boned" except for R/T Hood Stripe and WRT wheels. Perfectly happy with it, and didn't want all the options offered.

Myself, I would do it again in a heartbeat over a used SRT.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger 2015
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - I tend to hold on to my cars for a long time. I had my 2001 Jeep Cherokee from 2005 til about 2 months ago.

Don't really need the seats and sunroof. Nice to have but not needs.

Are you going to keep the cars past their warranty?

How attached are you to ventilated/heated seats or a sunroof?

·
Registered
479 Posts
In your situation I would also consider the new 2018 if it comes with carplay/android auto. Inputting addresses over the slow touch screen gets old very quickly, the uconnect app costs money (over $100 per year) and is buggy and the on board navigation uses 3g and does not receive free updates like Google Maps does.

Reactions: CtheW0rld

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Yeah - I tend to hold on to my cars for a long time. I had my 2001 Jeep Cherokee from 2005 til about 2 months ago.

Don't really need the seats and sunroof. Nice to have but not needs.
I would get the Scat Pack new. World has too many knuckle heads, no need to gamble if the car has the same amount of HP. If you were looking at Hellcats, that might be a harder choice.

Did you take a look at South County Dodge in Gilroy? They have some Scat Packs listed at $33k.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 8 speed alone is worth the few more $. It is a world of difference in my opinion, its like a different car and shifts like the best I have ever seen...... Hands down go with the 8 speed...

Still not sure what happens when you need a fluid change - current cost of the special fluid it uses almost equals the cost of an entire new transmission.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
A8's use this high priced fluid, but require no fluid/filter change over the lifetime of the car. This could be good, or bad, depending on how long you plan on keeping it.

One more reason that I'm happy to have purchased the Chrysler Lifetime Warranty. If the trans goes bad, I'll pay the $100 deductible and they'll fix it.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
OM says this about the A8 ..

Fluid And Filter Changes

Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

I ain't touching mine! :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
A8's use this high priced fluid, but require no fluid/filter change over the lifetime of the car. This could be good, or bad, depending on how long you plan on keeping it.

One more reason that I'm happy to have purchased the Chrysler Lifetime Warranty. If the trans goes bad, I'll pay the $100 deductible and they'll fix it.
You forgot to put lifetime in quotes. It's "lifetime" fluid. If Chrysler has truly invented fluid that will never wear out, never go bad, ever, they need to reveal this concoction to the world for the good of humanity! :grin2:

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,038 Posts

or

The general rule of used car buying is to buy the best example you can find and afford. And generally newer is better than older.

Trouble is you are comparing a new Scat Pack to a several years old used SRT.

If you can accept the differences between the Scat Pack and the SRT you then need to consider cost of ownership. Depreciation is the biggest expense of car ownership and that new Scat Pack will lose a good chunk of change some of it the minute you drive it off the dealer lot. The SRT will lose less as the first owner has already taken that hit for you. Still you have to be sure you aren't overpaying for the SRT should you chose to buy it.

What is the cost to finance both cars? Generally used car finance rates are higher than new. Unless you can pay off the loan early you will pay the full financing cost over the years and that can add up.

Do you have a good idea what insurance will cost for either car?

What about the condition of the SRT? I've seen too many videos of these cars being hammered on to be real enthusiastic about buying a used SRT.

OTOH, the Scat Pack will be new and will come with a full new car warranty.

Test drive the Scat Pack. Test drive the SRT. My 2018 R/T Scat Pack came with electric power steering while my 2018 Challenger Hellcat has the old fashioned hydraulic power steering. I believe I prefer the Hellcat power steering and its feel over the R/T Scat Pack. (Might mention here I traded in the 2018 R/T Scat Pack with just 2K miles on it 2 months after I bought it to buy a new 2018 Challenger Hellcat. Might also mention I offered the dealer the R/T Scat Pack's base price of $38995 + $1095 destination -- sticker was over $46K -- for a total of $40090 (not including tax/license/etc.) and the dealer accepted my offer. This was back on Dec. 17, 2017. Others have posted doing even better on price.)

Both the R/T Scat Pack and the Hellcat came with the 8-speed automatic. This is a fantastic transmission. Mostly I put the shifter in Manual mode and use the steering wheel paddles. While there is no clutch pedal to worry about there is still the need to pay attention to the car and be ready to work at least the upshift paddle and sometimes I like to downshift before the automatic transmission controller downshifts.

I'm so used to the automatic in the Hellcat when I switch to driving my Mini JCW with its 6-speed manual I have twitchy fingers on the wheel searching for the paddles. And the other day I rolled up to a stop in the JCW and being used to the Hellcat and its automatic downshifting as the car slows down I killed the JCW's engine, stalled it, before I realized I had to shift the transmission, or at least push in the clutch pedal. Geesh.

All the best in your quest.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Let's be realistic, the value difference between a 2018 Scat Pack and a 2015 SRT in 10 years time is going to be negligible at best. That's why I said a Used Hellcat vs a New Scat pack would be a harder choice.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I love my 2016 Scat Pack but I miss the dual mode suspension on my 2012 SRT.

I'd go with the used SRT. Just make sure to test drive it and check it thoroughly. Sporty cars can get driven hard.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
You forgot to put lifetime in quotes. It's "lifetime" fluid. If Chrysler has truly invented fluid that will never wear out, never go bad, ever, they need to reveal this concoction to the world for the good of humanity! :grin2:

Like Slidd stated......ain't touching mine either.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I would suggest New, especially if you are trading in a vehicle because the amount of the trade in is taken off of the purchase price before sales tax is calculated, and unless the Government screwed up the tax code too badly, you can deduct sales tax from the purchase of a new car on your income tax. Plus who knows who ate in the car and has french fries lost under the rear seat attracting critters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just my 2 cents on this. I had the choice between a new 2015 Scat and a new SRT, the difference in price was only 2 grand, the Scat being cheaper. I started looking around on the internet and found lots of Scat Paks and only a few of the SRT 392's. I drove both, they were both 6 spds. I liked them both but the SRT won me over. Here we are 3 years later and I could not be happier with my SRT, I go out cruising on nice weather days and see half dozen Scats and maybe 1 SRT 392. I like the fact that I have a great car and that there are not so many out there. Only you can make that decision. Good luck and whatever you decide you will end up with a great car!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would suggest New, especially if you are trading in a vehicle because the amount of the trade in is taken off of the purchase price before sales tax is calculated, and unless the Government screwed up the tax code too badly, you can deduct sales tax from the purchase of a new car on your income tax. Plus who knows who ate in the car and has french fries lost under the rear seat attracting critters.
The tax code is messed up. Somewhere along the line the law was changed. I recall deducting sales tax on my last car. Not so, now, for most.

"You must itemize deductions, and your sales tax deduction, including the sales tax on the vehicle must exceed your state income tax."

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1...-the-taxes-from-this-as-personal-property-tax

·
Registered
291 Posts
That new 18 will be used very quickly and it will still have little to no options. I opted to buy used this time. For the same money as an 18 stripper SCAT, I got a loaded 17 scat with 10k miles. The car already has the first couple of rock chips, so I dont have to agonize over that when it happens for the first time on the new one. And its broken in. Im happy.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
OM says this about the A8 ..

Fluid And Filter Changes

Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

I ain't touching mine! :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
"lifetime" until you have to replace the transmission.

I researched many of the forums on makes that use the ZF 8 speeds - a number of the engineers for ZF recommend max of 50K intervals for fluid / filter service for the longest service life out of the A8.

This was similar to the Daimler A5 (WA580 / NAG1) - used to be "lifetime" and Daimler switched away from that to now using max of 40K service intervals - by the time they came along with their A7 (and now A9).

After having to replace transmissions under the "lifetime" guise (you could get extended warranties to 8yrs / 100k) they changed to the shorter interval.

The "lifetime" intervals are to promote sales to fend off customer's perception that maintaining their newer vehicles are expensive and difficult.

That's some of the driving reasons behind the 100k platinum / iridium plugs and the "lifetime" ATF service intervals.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts