Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use Hagerty or Grundy collector car insurnace? I've heard good things about both. Grundy also now insures daily drivers too.

·
Super Moderator
13,866 Posts
Here are the requirements for Hagerty Classic Car Insurance:

Usage

Our policy allows you to use your collector vehicle for club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and even occasional pleasure driving — it just can't be your daily driver.
Storage

Though we prefer that collector vehicles are stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use — such as a private garage, pole barn or storage unit — we will consider other storage types, including*:

• Carports
  • Driveways
  • Parking garages
  • Car hauling trailers
Driver Eligibility

In most states, we can only offer coverage to drivers who have not had a serious infraction within the last three years.* Serious infractions include:

• Alcohol-related offenses
  • Reckless driving
  • Excessive speed violations
Regular-Use Vehicles

• All household members with a valid driver’s license must have a regular-use vehicle for daily driving. (Motorcycles and public transportation are not considered viable regular-use vehicles by our program in most cases. Contact us for details).
  • Applicants must also maintain regular-use insurance in their own names.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have used Hagerty for 9 years to insure various classic cars and have been very pleased with their customer service, products, and rates. I recently retired my 2014 Challenger R/T Classic from daily driver duty and added it to the same classic car policy with an established agreed value.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Grundy, Grundy, Grundy. I will NEVER go back to Hagerty - because of cost. I switched all my vehicles over to Grundy about 3 years ago & shaved off $3500.00 in costs on 6 vehicles combined. I called Hagerty about insuring my 2012 Challenger R/T at the time & they said sure - $1100.00. They would not drop the driving coverage during the 5-6 months a year I store it away because of the weather - $1100.00 either way.

Then I called Grundy & not only would they insure all our vehicles, the Challenger went to $230.00 a year with zero deductible on comp & collision. There is NO limit on miles. Only restriction is that the car can't be used for work commute & you can't go grocery shopping & leave it alone in a parking lot. I wouldn't anyway. Then bought a 2016 SPS - stated value of $45,000 - same premium. Sold the 2012. I've also had 2 claims with Grundy & NO problems at all. They use independent adjusters that come to your house & they do not hold a hard line - they are very realistic & fair about parts & labor, & let you go wherever you want to get the car repaired. They did not jack up our premium because of claims - neither were our fault.

·
Banned
87 Posts
I have a Mustang Bullitt thats almost 20 years old with only 7800 miles on it. Will Hagerty insure it as a classic car for it's appraised value?

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
I have a Mustang Bullitt thats almost 20 years old with only 7800 miles on it. Will Hagerty insure it as a classic car for it's appraised value?
Absolutely, as long as you have another car to daily drive and keep the Mustang in the garage. You can use the Mustang only for shows or pleasure driving, no errands or general use and defintely no driving it to work, can probably go to dinner but that's about it. A weekend out of town probably ok too. Discuss with them and read your policy carefully as these types of policies have restrictions that vary with different insurers.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Absolutely, as long as you have another car to daily drive and keep the Mustang in the garage. You can use the Mustang only for shows or pleasure driving, no errands or general use and defintely no driving it to work, can probably go to dinner but that's about it. A weekend out of town probably ok too. Discuss with them and read your policy carefully as these types of policies have restrictions that vary with different insurers.

Realistically your insuring your car to sit in a garage? Not trying to down anything but trying to figure this out. I guess I get the notion on an old car that might be worth 6 figures or more. But something that's worth less than 30-40k? I guess end of the day between homeowners, car insurance, gap insurance etc aren't you going to be more than covered on something built in the last 20-30 years, assuming its not an exotic?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Most collector car insurance policyholders maintain a special/collector vehicle policy to legally and financially protect the vehicle for limited use on public roadways. These are stand-alone policies, not policies in addition to regular policies for the purpose of reaching a specified replacement value. An agreed value accounts for the vehicle's replacement based on the collectibility and market value, not simply what the adjuster determines from general sources such as KBB. A homeowner's insurance policy will cover the house and household possessions within, but not necessarily vehicles within the structure (policy terms vary among the insurance companies). Anyone assuming their homeowner policy will cover their vehicle should carefully read the full contract for exclusion and coverage limitations. While the vehicle may be covered in the event the house (and contents) are a combined loss, it likely won't be covered if the vehicle is stolen from the garage. With a collector car policy, the vehicle may be operated on a limited basis (with conditions) at a reduced premium with mutually understanding of the replacement value from the day the policy takes effect. In addition, collector car insurers may offer services specific to the collector vehicle, such as vehicle valuation, parts location, and specialized repair service location assistance during the claims process.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Most collector car insurance policyholders maintain a special/collector vehicle policy to legally and financially protect the vehicle for limited use on public roadways. These are stand-alone policies, not policies in addition to regular policies for the purpose of reaching a specified replacement value. An agreed value accounts for the vehicle's replacement based on the collectibility and market value, not simply what the adjuster determines from general sources such as KBB. A homeowner's insurance policy will cover the house and household possessions within, but not necessarily vehicles within the structure (policy terms vary among the insurance companies). Anyone assuming their homeowner policy will cover their vehicle should carefully read the full contract for exclusion and coverage limitations. While the vehicle may be covered in the event the house (and contents) are a combined loss, it likely won't be covered if the vehicle is stolen from the garage. With a collector car policy, the vehicle may be operated on a limited basis (with conditions) at a reduced premium with mutually understanding of the replacement value from the day the policy takes effect. In addition, collector car insurers may offer services specific to the collector vehicle, such as vehicle valuation, parts location, and specialized repair service location assistance during the claims process.

I get insurance and I get agreed value, have had it on a boat for years, but at least in boating they don't limit use. And yes theres always breaks in coverage between this insurance and the other. But if you have full auto and full homeowners you would be covered in the event of a loss, lets not kid. The only question is will you be fighting market value, in other words what the insurance company thinks its worth. If your garage starts on fire and kills your car, homeowners will cover it if your auto doesn't. I'm pretty aware of insurance, and its wise to cover what things are worth, but its also illogical to over insure.

I guess point was for an expensive collectors car I get it, something that's rare and worth 100k, it sort of makes sense for those that choose to see that vehicle as an investment and really not something to drive. But for the average late model car worth 20-40k, really? I'm going to limit my driving to in essence put collectors insurance on a 35k car, that's nuts. sorry.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went agreed value as I had a car totalled years ago and the insurance company went with market value and I was out of luck. My Shaker is my toy...so agreed value makes sense and works for me. $35k would allow my to find a decent matching replacement.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
That's the best thing about classic coverage and agreed value, with some other insurance companies your classic car is just some 20 year old car of debatable value.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have agreed value through Safeco. There are a few restrictions, and you must have a daily driver, but the rate is pretty affordable compared to a few others I checked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am using Hagerty. $900 a year. Only restriction I saw was it needs to be stored in garage or driveway and it cant be your only vehicle.

I am amazed at these Grundy premiums. I may have to switch at some point. Agreed Value is 35K.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I guess point was for an expensive collectors car I get it, something that's rare and worth 100k, it sort of makes sense for those that choose to see that vehicle as an investment and really not something to drive. But for the average late model car worth 20-40k, really? I'm going to limit my driving to in essence put collectors insurance on a 35k car, that's nuts. sorry.
It does make sense when the vehicle is a collector vehicle and its use already in line with collector car insurance terms of agreement. I doubt anyone with such a policy is limiting their Challenger's use or purchasing additional vehicles simply to meet the terms of agreement; they likely operate the vehicle infrequently and have a separate vehicle for routine use such as I. For my situation, a collector vehicle policy is ideal (and cheaper). The vehicle is simply a pleasure and collector (not investment) vehicle operated 1-4 times per month with the intent of keeping it within my family during the remainder my lifetime. The agreed value is merely a plus and ensures the vehicle and money invested in modifications are adequately protected from loss and depreciation if a claim is warranted.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
693 Posts
My '71 Chevelle SS 454 is insured by Hagerty...$250.. for $35,000...and I had to supply them a photo of the Locked Garage where stored...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,975 Posts
A garage is not required, not sure how not having one affects the rates

Storage
Though we prefer that collector vehicles are stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use — such as a private garage, pole barn or storage unit — we will consider other storage types, including*:

Carports
Driveways
Parking garages
Car hauling trailers
https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/Classic-Car-Insurance/Does-My-Vehicle-Qualify#DriverEligibility

I got a quote for my car stored in open area under building. I'm not quite sure I'd actually qualify once I spoke to them, It's my only car, but I work from home and only drive it weekends. It's not a daily driver, but not sure how they'd view that. A Guy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts