Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my PCP into the dealer today to get the alignment fixed for maximum tire life. When it was done the dealer ran it through their car wash unknown to me. Until today it had only been handwashed.

When I stopped for gas on the way home I saw several small scratches in a row down the center of the roof. They are deep enough to feel on my fingernail and my "Scratch Doctor" polish did absolutely nothing to minimize them. When I called the dealer the service tech said they use a soft brush wash so it couldn't be their fault. I am taking it in for the service manager to look at on Thursday and then tell me that it was something I did.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent to people who understand.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
did you try to high speed buff them out?
these cars can't go through automated car washes normally they destroy the wheels

·
Registered
199 Posts
They should at least ask a customer if they want a free car wash before surprising them with a clean but scratched car. I would argue that they did something unauthorized that needs to be undone and made right.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Yea I took my car in for service and they washed the car without asking me. I do not have my car 100% microscratch free and luckily did not notice any significant damage...maybe it was a touchless wash. I just left the waterspots to my next handwash to remove.

I am sorry that they scratched your car, they should make it right. I think dealer's need to realize that not all cars are equal in the eyes of the owner. Some of us would appreciate being asked if we want our cars washed (to know that they are nice enough to offer) but would rather refuse because often they do not use proper methods that ensure the car is not scratched.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That SUCKS!!! I would be pissed. When I bring my Challenger into the dealer I MAKE the service rep walk around my vehicle and note on my service invoice that my vehicle has zero dents or scratches.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
you must build a relationship with the service writer and the tech, i only let one tech work on my car and only he is allowed to drive my car, if he is not there i will not be there. always call and make sure your favroite tech is working when you show up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you must build a relationship with the service writer and the tech, i only let one tech work on my car and only he is allowed to drive my car, if he is not there i will not be there. always call and make sure your favroite tech is working when you show up.
Favorite tech or not, make them note your invoice.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't let the dealer wash my car anymore after I got it back with hard water stains once.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips about the invoice damage annotations. You wouldnt think that would be necessary at a dealership, but apparently it is.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That SUCKS!!! I would be pissed. When I bring my Challenger into the dealer I MAKE the service rep walk around my vehicle and note on my service invoice that my vehicle has zero dents or scratches.
Good advice. Before AND after getting it back! Check the inside too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know it sucks to have to make the service writer note your invoice, but if you get your Challenger back with a scratch or worse ...a door-ding you can bet your bottom dollar they will shrug their shoulders and deny they were the cause.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wow, thanks for the advice guys. I would have never even imagined a dealership giving a free car wash after service. I would have just assumed they'd they'd be too lazy, or try to upsell. Whenever I take mine in, I will certainly detail inspect it with the tech or manager first. At the very least they'll know I'm super anal about it and they'll be extra careful!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
A lot of dealerships do the "courtesy wash" these days. Sorry to hear about your car. I don't use the dealer for anything on my car but when I take my truck in for service (2010 F350) I make a point to tell them not to wash it. I don't have the time to wait for them and I'll do a better job myself.

·
Registered
954 Posts
thats terrible! i havent seen any kind of automatic wash i thought was worth a hoot anyway,i dont car if they call it the super magnificient touch free feather soft water whatever machine.all it takes is a small pebble or piece of glass(say after a broken window is repaired) to get stuck in one of those''soft brushes'' and voila!instant paint ruining machine! I guess we all need to make a point to say please do not put my car thru the auto wash.btw i have only had 3 things done at the dealer,oil change,cracked door trim and tires rebalanced,when they did the door trim they left my car idling for about 15 minutes for some reason and left the interior kinda dirty,when they did the tire balance they left they adhesive residue from they old weights on the rims,i had to take the rims off and clean them myself,it would have only taken them a few more minutes to remove the goo while they had the wheels off! thats not how i did business but the times they are a changin!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Argh, that does suck. My service guy was really cool about things the first tim I brought mine in. One of the first things he asked is if I wanted them to NOT wash it. Not, should they wash it... but should they NOT wash it as to not wreck it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took it back to the dealer today and pointed out the row of scratches that is plainly visible in the sunlight. He thought it should be a relatively easy fix for their detail shop. I will be dropping it off on Monday for color sanding that will hopefully fix it.

I will be doing a walk around inventory with them before and after as well as premptively refusing a courtesy wash. Hopefully this will be the last time at the dealership for a few years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts