Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my car into the dealer a couple weeks ago for the airbag and alternator recall services. After driving it a few times the air bag light is now on... I don't really know what that light indicates about the system, or if there's any relationship to the recent work. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well recall work obviously is performed at no cost to you...so if the light is on it's obviously tied to the recall work they did. Take it back to the stealership and make them fix it. That's a big safety item and I would do it ASAP. You don't want to get into an accident with that light on, right now there is no way to tell if they will even deploy properly to protect you.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Yeah definitely go back there and get them to take a look. Pretty good chance it's related.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
as said above, you do not want to be driving around with a fault/code in the air bag system for a variety of reasons. Insist on them getting it right, insist on a rental car if it takes too long..not something you want to live with until you get time to take it in..

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: the light went off today and hasn't come back on after several short trips. Is it still worth trying to get someone to see if there's any code in there? The dealer isn't nearby so I probably wouldn't go there just to read a code, but if there's a chance anything might be found I could try to get a local shop or maybe parts store to connect a reader real quick...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Places like Autozone and Napa and others can read it for you...I know Autozone will, they won't charge you either. Whatever code they give you, you can look it up online.

·
Registered
171 Posts
And DO NOT let them reset it, just make a list.
If it's clear, it's an excuse to charge diagnostic.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Update: the light went off today and hasn't come back on after several short trips. Is it still worth trying to get someone to see if there's any code in there? The dealer isn't nearby so I probably wouldn't go there just to read a code, but if there's a chance anything might be found I could try to get a local shop or maybe parts store to connect a reader real quick...

My general advice is to if you have the car worked on and you get an warning light especially if the warning light is related to whatever it was that was worked on, in this case the airbag recall service, you are better off getting the car in ASAP and getting the code read and then getting cause of the warning light diagnosed and sorted out.

In short, you should have taken the car back to the dealer when the warning light was on. There might be a stored code but I wouldn't bet any money on this being the case. Now the dealer can -- you may have to push to get this done (assuming of course it can be done but I suspect it can be done) -- the dealer can get the car in the service bay and the tech can probably trigger some airbag tests or run a scan over the system that is more extensive that the scan that is run when the key is turned on. That scan only takes the time from when the airbag warning light comes on to when it goes off. This more extensive scan may turn up a problem.

But the problem is the warning light is off. So in this case if you take the car in generally the dealer's attitude is no warning light no problem. So you'll just get told to if the warning light comes on again to bring the car in and have the code read.

While some auto parts stores can read OBD2 error codes I'm not aware they can read airbag (and other nanny system controller) error codes. But if they can be read then there's that. You'll just have to ask I guess. But with the warning light dark I would be surprised if there's any stored error code even if the airbag controller can be queried for any error codes by what test equipment the auto parts store has handy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the code read at O'reilly today. The light is off, but code appears: B1C29 - Left side seat thorax squib 1 circuit open.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Airbag Light:

Got the code read at O'reilly today. The light is off, but code appears: B1C29 - Left side seat thorax squib 1 circuit open.
That should call for a trip to the dealer as there is a defect in the seatbelt retractor squib. This is a safety issue so I would get in taken care of. You can go to a different dealer if one is closer or maybe have the car flat bedded into the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,203 Posts
I believe that's actually the airbag squib circuit on the left side. The car checks the connection on start. If it's a wiring issue, it would be in the circuit of the airbag/SRS system. Coincidence it started after work on that circuit? I think get thee to the dealer while it's still close enough they can see the connection to their work. A Guy

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,117 Posts
Another post touched on this - either its the driver seat airbag or the SRS seatbelt pre-tensioner for drivers side.

Either a problem with the harness, connector or that airbag / igniter module for those devices

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

That's rather surprising the airbag controller errors are available without special factory diagnostic computer hardware. While I was aware some automakers were rather open regarding controller access via the OBD2 bus -- I used to belong to the organization that managed the distribution of diagnostic related info for all car makers (though some were pretty restrained in what they would release and one in particular didn't make anything available) and as a member (via my employer) used to get CDs/DVDs filled with this info (more recently just a link to download the info) -- I never bothered to study all the megabytes of data to see exactly what was exposed and how to obtain it. (The automotive test products I worked on there were no requirements for accessing controllers other then the engine controller.)

So glad I was wrong and you have the code.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks again for the responses. Yes, I'm glad the code is there, but does the light being off now indicate its just a random bug or is it still likely a repair is needed? I admit the thought of trying to pin the dealer down on a light that isn't on, isn't appealing... They seem to want to worm out of dealing with issues even when the problem is obvious.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,203 Posts
For most things, I'd say wait and see. For the airbags, it would make me think twice. The issue is, if they read the error, and see the connection to their recent work, can they inspect the harness for connections, etc.? Does the error (pointing towards the specific airbag affected) let them trace certain wiring from beginning to end?

A Guy

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thanks again for the responses. Yes, I'm glad the code is there, but does the light being off now indicate its just a random bug or is it still likely a repair is needed? I admit the thought of trying to pin the dealer down on a light that isn't on, isn't appealing... They seem to want to worm out of dealing with issues even when the problem is obvious.

For OBD2 error codes the guideline was to check if the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) was on. If it was then any "active" codes read were legitimate.

If the MIL was off any code read was considered garbage. (Pending and permanent error codes were still legitimate.)

The airbag system may be different but I suspect only a dealer/factory trained test would (should) know if the code obtained with the airbag light off is valid or not.

That the light came on and went off only indicates the problem was transitory. It may be a "glitch" or a marginal connection or it could be just an early sign of some more serious problem.

The airbag controller checks the system every time the engine is started. It is assumed this check is sufficient to detect a problem that could result in a failure to deploy in a real accident.

My approach to things like this in the past was to stop by the local dealer and because I had a good relationship there the SA would give me permission to speak to one of the senior techs. From talking to the tech I would learn if the car should be booked in for further investigation or to just drive the car and see if the error condition returned. In this case I was advised to then bring the car around and get the problem looked into.

I have not yet had to deal with any issues with my Hellcat but should an issue arise I would probably use the same technique, run the issue by the SA and from him to a tech and get a tech's opinion as to what the next step should be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my car into the dealer a couple weeks ago for the airbag and alternator recall services. After driving it a few times the air bag light is now on... I don't really know what that light indicates about the system, or if there's any relationship to the recent work. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
I have a 2011 Challenger that the air bag light kept coming on and off. I took my passenger seat out and at the back underneath of the seat is a YELLOW Coupler with only TWO wires going into it and out. It was not making a good connection and I sprayed contact cleaner. A. I am a happy owner. Also there is a LOCK that was not depressed. Dealer wanted $100 to diognose and $200 to fix. What a rip off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just started seeing the air bag light on my 18 R/T with 4K miles. REALLY don’t want to take it to the dealer if I don’t have to, so after a little online research, including this site, I went under both front seats, and located the yellow wiring connectors, unplugged and reinstalled both sides, making sure they clicked into place, and so far, no more light! Hope that is all it was. Will see if I get the light again. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem after a air bag recall and alternator recall. Under the passenger seat, in the rear of the seat you will find Two wires. One is yellow. There is a lock on the wireing connection. I unplugged the two wire connection and sprayed a electric cleaner on it and reconnected and made sure the two wire connection was locked and that cured my problem. The dealer wanted to charge me $125 inspection fee to look at it and the a fee to repair it. ONLY FOUR BOLTS hold the seat in place and you can tilt the seat forward and you can see all the wires. Also the wires had tie downs on them that caused pressure to undo them., I moved the wires around. Dodge wanted to charge me for a problem they caused. I love the car but Hate the Dodge Dealer's inspection fees that other car dealers do not charge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts