Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help. I am getting ready to buy a CAI. I am leaning towards the LMI Hammer. Does it come with the small breather filter? Also, how does it attach? Does it just flop around loosely or does something hold it in place? Do I need a special hose or will I cut the factory one? I will be using it with the 5.7 engine cover. Pics would be great!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've seen any number of CAI's none had a separate air breather filter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes it does,what I did was cut a little piece of the hose off and attached it to the breather and then to the plastic nipple where the hose is attached to ,that way it doesn't flop around.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The stock air box will flow better than most aftermarket kits. I replaced the stock intake tube with one for a 13 charger, and purchased a K&N air filter. The stock filter box draws air from behind the grill, not from the engine area. And with the charger air tube, the ugly wart is gone leaving room for a catch can. :rocker:​

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know that my Frankentake IV came with a separate breather filter. We just put it straight on. No hose necessary.

I simply do not agree that the stock unit breathes as well as an aftermarket unit. But I won't start that debate.

I'd post pics, but I am work currently. Its a great little set up, keeps everything tidy.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I know that my Frankentake IV came with a separate breather filter. We just put it straight on. No hose necessary.

I simply do not agree that the stock unit breathes as well as an aftermarket unit. But I won't start that debate.

Take a look at the 2011 and up filters, they are BIG. I did say is flows better most aftermarket kits, not all of them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Take a look at the 2011 and up filters, they are BIG.
They are big. I own a 14. So I know what you are talking about. But they still draw are through a relatively small opening. Mine also had that horrible silencer part on its intake tube which seems to serve zero purpose.

All I'm saying is that I don't believe the stock intake is anywhere near as efficient as an aftermarket intake given restriction on incoming air and smoothness of that airflow. My Frankentake IV has a filter area that has to be at least twice what the stock unit is and draws air from all around it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'd post pics, but I am work currently. Its a great little set up, keeps everything tidy.
I'd like to see a pic if you get a chance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have a Frankentake IV Will eventually cut the tube down a bit as its just hanging there. This was right after install... Not sure if the engine cover goes back on or not, mines in the garage for now.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have the Frankentake IV and it comes with the breather. Just cut back the factory hose to install it. And yes it does make a significant increase in performance, much to the dismay of several experts on this forum! lol :deal:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts