Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get an air compressor for home use, basically to keep the tires inflated. Any ideas, or models to consider? I don't want the cigarette lighter deal, or the huge air tank inflate the goodyear blimp model.

thanks in advance!
J

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is what I have, I love it.

Campbell Hausfeld FP209599 air compressor Review: Powered by ConsumerGuide and HowStuffWorks

Campbell Hausfeld FP209599 air compressor

Campbell Hausfield's FP209599 2-gallon air compressor packs a lot of features and a great value for its size and price. We were intrigued with its sleek but sensible design, which includes twinstack tanks (two 1-gallon air tanks) for twice the stored air power. That's more than enough power for inflating, nailing, stapling and air brushing. And yes, you can do any of those projects without having to bring out the big guns to do it.

Not only is the FP209599 incredibly compact, it also has a comfortably padded and super sturdy handle for easy portability and easy storage. But it also comes with a bonus 2-in-1 nailer/stapler kit and inflation accessories. There's even an onboard clip to house your nailer/stapler when not in use. Everything you need and it only takes one hand to carry this air compressor to where you want it -- that's portability to the max!

We found everything on this unit to be very user-friendly. The gauges are conveniently placed within easy viewing above the air tanks in an integrated control panel. Keeping an eye on the air pressure is a simple task with this tool. Oil-free operation means less maintenance as this air compressor does not require lubrication to operate. Even the cobalt blue color is a standout on this air compressor. The only downside -- and it's a small one at best -- is that the noise level is a bit on the high side for its small size. But then, that's what hearing protectors are for.

When the pressure is on to find affordable and portable power in an oil-free air compressor, the Campbell Hausfeld FP209599 is an impressive find and a great buy.

Pros: Twinstack tanks offers greater stored air power in a compact and user-friendly design, padded and sturdy handle for easy portability and storage, lightweight, comes with a bonus 2-in-1 nailer/stapler kit, 25 foot recoil hose and inflation accessories, convenient onboard holder for nailer/stapler, integrated control panel with easy to read gauges, outstanding customer service
Cons: Noise level is a bit high for the unit's size

·
Banned
557 Posts
Pancake compressors are handy for occasional use, and easily portable if you need to take to another project you are working on. Personally though I would prefer something with a bigger tank. My preference is a vertical model so it takes up less space in the garage. Plus, air tools are very inexpensive compared to battery operated and I find myself wanting to do more and more projects because air works so well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Get one with a real compressor pump...one that holds oil in it's compressor crankcase.

The oiless ones are ok for short-term use..but noisy..and tend to be short-lived. The biggest advantage to the oiless air compressors is cost..they are usually cheap.

I bought my son in law a nice little copressor for about $170..has a real pump on it. Should be able to find something similiar for same or slightly less money.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I got one of the small 2 gal. pancake compressors from HF a few years ago. It's been great but it's a bit too small and has to run too long to recover. I'm looking to upgrade to a slightly bigger one 10lbs or so. If you want a small one the one I have is great and at $80 it's pretty hard to beat for light use.

Honestly, I use an air tank for most of my top off's, bikes, power equipment tires, etc. as it's much easier than dragging out the hose. I have a long single car driveway and it can be a pain to get the air to the cars. I mostly want a bigger compressor to fill the air tank quicker. It takes a long time with one of the small units to fill a tank.

As with anything of this type I alway recommend the you "buy your second one first" as mentioned above, a real small compressor can be frustrating to live with and you'll likely find uses for it you haven't even considered yet.

·
Banned
903 Posts
I would go with at least a 20gal tank, I have a Craftsman oil-free 60 gallon tank, It has been a good compressor but if I had it to do all over again I would never buy another one of the oil-free unit's. It is extremely noisey and vibrates my hole shop, it's so dang loud I even built a closet to put it in and insulated the heck out of it and it's still loud!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Too many of my friends have had issues w/the craftsman and campbell compressors for me to take a chance. My dad has an Ingersolol Rand that is at least 30 yrs old. That is what I went with. Bought a 20 gal vertical from Northern Tool. Paid $469 and got free shipping to my house. The compressor is extremely quiet. I can stand right next to it when running and talk on the phone and have no trouble hearing and actually use a normal voice(no yelling).

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a Craftsman (oil free) 33 gallon compressor that has served me well for several years. They are noisy but I will usually let it fill up and then I will turn it off. This usually leaves me with enough air to remove/install all four wheels (or for routine tasks) before the PSI gets below 90. On heavier jobs where I leave it on, it will cycle ~ 2-4 times.

Another more important factor to consider is the CFM rating of your compressor and requirement of the the tools you may be using with it.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
A 2HP, 20 Gal tank, oil filled compressor, single stage unit is about right for most home shop use. Can run some air tools for intermittent use, plenty of air to use air gun for blowing off dirt, etc. Not really adequate for spray painting but you can do some. Anything less than this is really only good for airing up tires - slowly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Air Compressor

This is going to sound like a sales pitch, so forgive me. I work for Ingersoll-Rand out here in wyoming and all I do is air compression. If what you want is cheap and easy but short lifespan, then by all means head on down to your local home improvement store and buy from the choices they provide. but if you are looking for a good compressor that could handle a variety of uses in your garage and adapt to changing needs over the Years(and I mean your entire life), then I suggest talking to one of the major brands. my suggestion is either Quincy or Ingersoll-Rand. They both produce an excellent and High Quality compressor, sized for the personal garage (or larger if needed). they do cost a bit more, but I constantly run into examples that have stood the test of time (thirty years or better). I myself like to buy once and forget it, as compared to replacing every few years. for more info just check out there own websites and then look up a dealer near you.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
In my Dad's barn we have several old (no idea what brand) compressors that have been running for decades. some have had motors rebuilt and belts replaced, but these things are not high tech.

The best setup I know of is a friends shop where he welded up all the columns in the building and welded interconnecting pipes between them and made the entire frame of his building the tank for his compressor. He put chucks at the bottom of each pole and we can connect anywhere and virtually never run out of air. If I ever built a shop I would definitely duplicate that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The unit you pictured is great for filling the tires on your kids bike, beach balls or an air mattress. If you plan to work on your car buy a 20 gallon unit with a steel pump not that aluminum crap and invest in some pneumatic tools.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is going to sound like a sales pitch, so forgive me. I work for Ingersoll-Rand out here in wyoming and all I do is air compression. If what you want is cheap and easy but short lifespan, then by all means head on down to your local home improvement store and buy from the choices they provide. but if you are looking for a good compressor that could handle a variety of uses in your garage and adapt to changing needs over the Years(and I mean your entire life), then I suggest talking to one of the major brands. my suggestion is either Quincy or Ingersoll-Rand. They both produce an excellent and High Quality compressor, sized for the personal garage (or larger if needed). they do cost a bit more, but I constantly run into examples that have stood the test of time (thirty years or better). I myself like to buy once and forget it, as compared to replacing every few years. for more info just check out there own websites and then look up a dealer near you.
I also work for IR in Kentucky where we build 2 -50HP compressors ----you know my choice!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I got this one a few years ago. It's been flawless and runs my Snap-On 450ftlbs impact no problem. I'll be using it to paint some car parts this spring as well.

It's relatively quiet. It takes oil, but I think that's a good thing. I worked at HD when I was in college and they will literally let you return anything so it's got good backing.

So far it's done everything I've needed it to.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a Horizontal Sears Craftsman 20 Gallon Tank model. Have had it for 28 years. Still works like a champ. it's 220V so I had to provide a circuit and plug in the wall for it but that's easy. If I had to do it all over again, I would DEFINITELY get a vertical model. However, I don't agree with the longevity thing.....unless 28 years with no problems ever is considered bad. I haven't even replaced the belt! Pump takes oil, BTW. I'm positive the IR model is a Cadillac but the Craftsman ain't no Yugo, that's for sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had the same Husky (Campbell Hausfeld) 2HP / 30 gallon compressor for about 3 years. Well built and supplies 5.5 CFM at 90 PSI, more than capable of driving the air tools I regularly use. Absolutely no problems recommending this unit.

I got this one a few years ago. It's been flawless and runs my Snap-On 450ftlbs impact no problem. I'll be using it to paint some car parts this spring as well.

It's relatively quiet. It takes oil, but I think that's a good thing. I worked at HD when I was in college and they will literally let you return anything so it's got good backing.

So far it's done everything I've needed it to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts