Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone?i have an old air compressor and i am looking to get a new one.the old one is 26 gallons.if i got another 26 gal. does anyone know if i could pipe them together and have a 52 gallon capacity?

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
Yes you could but it won't really give you any extra continuous CFM rating. If you are trying to run air tools, etc and the current compressor can't keep up, you need a higher CFM rated unit.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
its not that the compressor wont keep up,its just one of those oil free ones.the little rubber ring on the piston cracked.you have to buy the whole pump assembly which is 170.00 to fix the problem.i figured i would buy another small one that is not oil free.there is one at home depot for 360.00 30 gallons and it runs on 120 volts.the other ones are all 240 volts.i just use it a home so i dont think i need a big one.

·
Premium Member
2,979 Posts
If you like the idea of have double the capacity on reserve if the power is out, etc then hooking up the second tank might be a good idea but other than that it would just take up more space in your garage.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Many years ago I tried this.....The compressor ran half the time it did with the single tank because it took more time to deplete the volume in the tanks. Then the compressor kicked on and ran twice as long to pump the tanks up again. Gain was zero. I do know the compressor got much hotter from running longer than it did if it cycled with the single tank.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I do know the compressor got much hotter from running longer than it did if it cycled with the single tank.
Good point and quoted for truth. I remember a lesson one of my friends learned in the ag shop during high school- if you keep the compressor running longer than you should, it WILL give out eventually.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess i will just get the 60 gallon compressor.it is only 70.00 more.now i have to wire a 240 volt circuit.has anyone ever done one?it looks pretty simple,i just dont know what gauge wire to use,maybe 10,any ideas?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have had to have three houses wired for my 240 volt compresor. Well worth it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts