Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So for now I've got the factory air dam protectors on the new ride. I do like the look (albeit the wife hates it), but I can't tell if I like it more with them off. The issue I have is that even just having them on from the factory they scratched the air dam. Does anyone have a good recommendation for touching up the air dam? If not, anyone know a good paint I could use for the protectors?

I did remove the protectors, clean them, and used double sided tape to prevent further scratching/rubbing in the mean time.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hey all,

So for now I've got the factory air dam protectors on the new ride. I do like the look (albeit the wife hates it), but I can't tell if I like it more with them off. The issue I have is that even just having them on from the factory they scratched the air dam. Does anyone have a good recommendation for touching up the air dam? If not, anyone know a good paint I could use for the protectors?

I did remove the protectors, clean them, and used double sided tape to prevent further scratching/rubbing in the mean time.
Listen to your wife, she’s correct. Last car show I entered the guy with them on his Challenger was not next to the car and people wandering about were making fun of him for that. There is no purpose to keep them on, if you hit something the air dam will still take the shot just like a bull bar on a pickup truck, it still gets trashed along with what’s behind it. Enjoy the car, tell your wife I agree with her.

typo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Listen to your wife, she’s correct. Last car show I entered the guy with them on his Challenger was not next to the car and people wandering about were making fun of him for that. There is no purpose to keep them on, if you hit something the air dam will still take the shot just like a bull bar on a pickup, it get trashed along with what’s behind it. Enjoy the car, tell your wife I agree with her.

Clint
I don't have them on for any purpose, I personally like the contrast of the color. But as I said, the air dam has a few scratches on it already from transportation so if I take them off I'd like to find a way to blend those in.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
You can apply 303 protectant to it, it will help mask it but once that plastic gets scratched it not possible to make them disappear. To remove a scratch in anything means you have to remove material around it to level it out.
Enjoy every mile in it, is it a daily driver or weekend only car?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can apply 303 protectant to it, it will help mask it but once that plastic gets scratched it not possible to make them disappear. To remove a scratch in anything means you have to remove material around it to level it out.
Enjoy every mile in it, is it a daily driver or weekend only car?
Ya I figured that unfortunately, but I'll look into the 303. Planning to use it as a daily driver besides the winter, I love these cars and want to enjoy it as much as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,333 Posts
So, the protectors put on damage the air dam/spoiler/splitter? What were they meant to protect against? Sounds like the cure is worse than the sickness

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,463 Posts
So, the protectors put on damage the air dam/spoiler/splitter? What were they meant to protect against? Sounds like the cure is worse than the sickness

A Guy
Its to preclude any scuffs / scratches during the shipping process - since the SP and 'Cat spoilers extend out and any tie downs, tools can scratch them.

I think it looks goofy (IMO) rolling around with these yellow (or blue) protectors. I can see if you're going to / from shows and may have driveways / ramps that could scuff the spoiler...but...

Otherwise its like walking around with the tags and stickers on your new running shoes...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hit mine with the side of a backing plate with the orbital waxer the day after I bought it. I tried 303, Mothers, and one or two others. It's looks OK until the next day. Can it be lightly wet sanded with 1000 grit or so? I know up close you can see the, texture, for lack of a better word. I suppose you could sand the whole thing smooth so I looks like the back spoiler, but I'm not sure how that would turn out.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I had some light surface scuffs on mine from the yellow protectors. They weren't scratches that were indented in the plastic, but rather just discolored lines where the plastic was rubbed against. I purchased Charcoal Gray trim dye designed for the interior of our cars. I forget where I ordered it from, but I believe there are many online outlets. When buying, select the color for Challengers and it is a dead match for all interior trim, and conveniently, matches the air dam color perfectly.

Take a duster type fine paint brush like the one in the photo - the type used for painting scale models -and daub it in the dye, then blot out most of it on a piece of paper so that there's only the slightest amount of wet dye on the tips of the bristles on your brush. Then lightly stab at the scuffs on the air dam. By doing it this way, you will be putting tiny dots of dye on the plastic, instead of painting it which won't look good.

Let each pass on the plastic dry before reapplying. After several coats, you won't be able to see the surface scuffs any more. After doing this, you're not going to wash the dam with a mitt, as it will take some dye off. Instead, clean the spoiler just by rinsing it with water from your hose. That way, it won't come off. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had some light surface scuffs on mine from the yellow protectors. They weren't scratches that were indented in the plastic, but rather just discolored lines where the plastic was rubbed against. I purchased Charcoal Gray trim dye designed for the interior of our cars. I forget where I ordered it from, but I believe there are many online outlets. When buying, select the color for Challengers and it is a dead match for all interior trim, and conveniently, matches the air dam color perfectly.

Would you mind checking on the name of the product? I must not be using the right search words.

Thanks,
GatorMark
2018 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do a search for "7330 Dark Slate Gray Chrysler dye" and you'll find it, Mark.
Thanks, RobF. Bought it from ClassicDyeProducts. Not cheap, $21 for 8oz and $10 shipping. But if it can cover the scuff it will be worth it.

GatorMark
2018 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts