Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed out the stock air filter and dropped in a AEM dry charge filter. With the stock filter around town I was getting 17.5 to 18 MPG. This was on the EVIC and real world calculations. Haven't put many miles on it since the filter change but the EVIC now is showing 15.5 MPG. I won't really know until I do the actual calculation but if this is real, this is almost a 2 MPG drop! Has anyone else experienced this. If this is actual, I am going back to the stock air filter.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It might not be the filter. Possibly the mixture of winter gas from the gas stations. I know my fuel economy has dropped within the past 3-4 months. I added a K&N CAI and Solo exhaust system before winter hit. My economy has dropped about 2 mpg since the beginning of December 2013.

I don't know where you live, but gas in Chicago is low quality until April-May

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I agree with the above. I've seen my gas mileage go down a couple of MPG since winter started.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Are you doing more warming up before you drive? Cold morning warm ups kill your Avg MPG.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah like they said there are lots of variables that could be causing this. It may not be the filter. Having said that, there are two things that must come together in the perfect mixture to make power in an internal combustion engine: air and fuel. So if you add a lot more air, guess what? The ECU is going to insert more fuel to keep the ratio where it wants it. The claims of "increased gas mileage" from aftermarket filters and intake kits is basically a marketing ploy. I bought mine for appearance and sound and ease of maintenance, not for power or mileage.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I also have the AEM dryflow and didn't have a decrease in mpg. Probably the fuel as others have said

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I had a decrease in the mpg in the summer time with the K&N drop in stock with no tune i put my factory filter back in pumped up my gas millage a little..

to get the best out of your after market filter A tune is necessary.. my .02

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
. . . The claims of "increased gas mileage" from aftermarket filters and intake kits is basically a marketing ploy. . . .
........^^^^^^^^
............This

It cracks me up with all the claims aftermarket filter companies make. If a filter would make that much difference, don't you think the OEM companies would use them to help meet their CAFE mpg requirements?

Using an aftermarket filter for looks or more sound is an entirely different story and a valid reason for installing one.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It cracks me up with all the claims aftermarket filter companies make. If a filter would make that much difference, don't you think the OEM companies would use them to help meet their CAFE mpg requirements?

Using an aftermarket filter for looks or more sound is an entirely different story and a valid reason for installing one.

>>>that is so true that is what i always thought!!! when it sounds logical to you it is probably true!! imagine all the nasty dirt that gets in your engine from these after market filters lol... manufacturers do things for a reason and its up to you to decide what is good for you lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts