Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ugh, popped the hood to see where to install the hood switch for remote start, and my Roto-Fab CAI filter was loose\off just hanging there...I have no clue how long it was like this for (a week, two weeks, a day) Not even 600-800 miles ago I spent 120$ on a friggin' full synth oil change, what should I do? Not worry about it? It was fully secured too..paranoid now :-\

Everyday I have something new to worry\post about :(

5,134 Posts
If it was fully secured and it fell off, then it's defective. Find out how/why it came off and fix it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was fully secured and it fell off, then it's defective. Find out how/why it came off and fix it.
Ok, but do I have any reason to be worried? I went ahead and refastened it SUPER tight this time, and stupidly I acidently knocked the darn hood switch DOWN the CAI hole, so now it's lost under the bumper forever, I used my Iphone's camera + light to find out where it was, but I just can't reach it :( what a day...

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
i have dropped a few loose bolts/nuts down there too. jack the car up, remove the 4 10mm bolts and drop the belly pan. bet it falls out

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have dropped a few loose bolts/nuts down there too. jack the car up, remove the 4 10mm bolts and drop the belly pan. bet it falls out
Sadly I don't have a jack as the car dosen't come with one, nor floor jacks...and I'd have to drive to go get one, and I'm sure during that time I'd fall out of one of the holes so it's a lose-lose...at least it's only 15-17$, man I felt stupid though.

Any more comments on if I "SHOULD" be worried about the air filter being coming off? Really paranoid and worried :-\

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
i wouldnt be worried. i bet it wasnt as tight as you thought and the movement/torque of the engine caused it to wiggle loose. i have checked mine numerous times because it is not physically in the bay, but in the wheel well area so imagine my paranoia the first 100 miles haha

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
You can safety wire the filter so it can't come loose.

Don't have safety wire? Improvise, use a couple zip ties.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can safety wire the filter so it can't come loose.

Don't have safety wire? Improvise, use a couple zip ties.
Good idea, I'll do that, I was just worried, thankfully even with it's loose it just "tilts" forward and covers up the actual "air" hole more, but where the filter connects to the intake tube had about a 1/4th gap where air could get through due to the filter being loose and just resting tilted.

Glad I caught it when I did, it's been about 2...maybe 3 weeks since I've popped the engine bay, but I have no clue when it came loose, last time I checked it sure wasn't.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I take the filter off my CAI when I race and I don't have any problems. My husband removes the CAI filter on his car also to race. Just make sure it to tighten it down when you put it back on. They will move around if not tight.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about it. I take the filter off my CAI when I race and I don't have any problems. My husband removes the CAI filter on his car also to race. Just make sure it to tighten it down when you put it back on. They will move around if not tight.
Thank you Hemi Woman that makes me a lot less paranoid :banana:
Also, wouldn't the oil filter catch any containments (dust etc) before it hurt the engine? I live in Atlanta..so not like we have sand around here (though I did drive through a dusty construction that was on the side of the road)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ended up (lol) dropping a effin' screw driver down the the engine bay, looked into it with a light and the hood switch was right next to it, slowly pushed the hood switch\screw driver towards the CAI hole, and voila! Got my hood switch and screw driver back, I checked the tube and it seems clean, maf sensor isn't dirty either.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Anything sucked up in the intake is going to reach the cylinders before the oil filter, but unless you're driving around in gravel I wouldn't be concerned about a short time the filter was loose or off.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Anything sucked up in the intake is going to reach the cylinders before the oil filter, but unless you're driving around in gravel I wouldn't be concerned about a short time the filter was loose or off.
It'd imagine the intake tube would be dirty\dusty too, and it wasn't..so doesn't seem like it was off for long, there was more grime\dirt in my stock one (compared them to make sure it was "OK") But because of this I am going to attain to the "once a week, look under your hood" rule, I hadn't had a reason to until today, but I am glad I did.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I don't think it would get in the oil for that filter to do anything. $120 is alot for an oil change. Mine was $80 at my dealership for Mobile 1 synthetic.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think it would get in the oil for that filter to do anything. $120 is alot for an oil change. Mine was $80 at my dealership for Mobile 1 synthetic.
So....the oil filter never catches particles that bypass our filtration? No filter cuts out ALL the crap, so over-time our engine just collects dust\grime particles that get through the air filter? Quite strange...I always thought when you change your oil your also flushing out any crap that DID happen to bypass the filtration (though with particles large enough to do engine damage I would think they would get caught in the oil filter if they ever got through).

Either way, car runs fine, so I'm sure it's fine. My dad was telling me I was being paranoid, as on his old muscle cars they would always take the filters off to drag, he said unless your driving in Nevada (or as a guy said above) a gravel area, you're fine, considering my dad pays for the oil changes on this vehicle, I can't really just be like "TAKING IT" as he'd think I was throwing 100$ away.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Good idea, I'll do that, I was just worried, thankfully even with it's loose it just "tilts" forward and covers up the actual "air" hole more, but where the filter connects to the intake tube had about a 1/4th gap where air could get through due to the filter being loose and just resting tilted.

Glad I caught it when I did, it's been about 2...maybe 3 weeks since I've popped the engine bay, but I have no clue when it came loose, last time I checked it sure wasn't.
I was always taught to check oil levels and such when getting gas so i always take a glance under the hood and make sure everything seems properly adjusted. I noticed early on that my stock air tube are a little loose and wobbled even more loose. Tightened that up quick enough and rested easy.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
So....the oil filter never catches particles that bypass our filtration? No filter cuts out ALL the crap, so over-time our engine just collects dust\grime particles that get through the air filter? Quite strange...I always thought when you change your oil your also flushing out any crap that DID happen to bypass the filtration (though with particles large enough to do engine damage I would think they would get caught in the oil filter if they ever got through).

Either way, car runs fine, so I'm sure it's fine. My dad was telling me I was being paranoid, as on his old muscle cars they would always take the filters off to drag, he said unless your driving in Nevada (or as a guy said above) a gravel area, you're fine, considering my dad pays for the oil changes on this vehicle, I can't really just be like "TAKING IT" as he'd think I was throwing 100$ away.
I don't think it hurt it but The air that goes thru the CAI doesn't go into the oil so the oil filter has nothing to do with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts