Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the lid on the air filter box necessary? I have a 2020 Scat Pack. There is a hood vent directly over the air intake filter. I assume this provides cold air to the filter. Is it better to leave the lid off the box to allow cold air entry?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Why not do the Hellcat Airbox and aFe intake tube?
"“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.”

And in this discussion, the guy is worried about water getting on his air filter:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks all. Keep the advice coming as I am knowledge challenged. I did buy the Hellcat box as
RWL11 suggested but have not installed. Will do as soon as I get the connecting piece to the headlight. Still wondering about going lidless in addition to cold air through the headlight?

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Thanks all. Keep the advice coming as I am knowledge challenged. I did buy the Hellcat box as
RWL11 suggested but have not installed. Will do as soon as I get the connecting piece to the headlight. Still wondering about going lidless in addition to cold air through the headlight?
As in the other posting, I'd be concerned like the other guy, that extractor vent hole will act like a gutter, pouring water all over your nice dry filter. Plus, without the cover, how will you hold the filter in? The top of the box does that for you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is the lid on the air filter box necessary? I have a 2020 Scat Pack. There is a hood vent directly over the air intake filter. I assume this provides cold air to the filter. Is it better to leave the lid off the box to allow cold air entry?
Just some FYI, there is cold air coming into your box. Pop the top and pull the filter, you will see that it is open to the vents below the bumper. The HC tube will make it about as good as they come and an easy mod. Well accept taking off those to stupid tiny torques on the cap to the headlight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As in the other posting, I'd be concerned like the other guy, that extractor vent hole will act like a gutter, pouring water all over your nice dry filter. Plus, without the cover, how will you hold the filter in? The top of the box does that for you.
Once again gentleman, many thanks. I am very appreciative for you and this forum. I will install my Hellcat box and keep the lid on!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
The lid seals the box so it draws air from the fender rather than the hot under hood. The opening above it is an extractor, meant to allow/pull air out of the hot engine bay. With the Hellcat intake, you have the best CAI barring a true fender draw one, or perhaps the T/A intake, with Hellcat intake

A Guy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts