Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2020 challenger rt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been looking at some fabricated intake manifolds and larger throttle bodys for the intake system on my 5.7 but while looking at these systems they all seem to have a front intake (the throttle body positioned on the front of the manifold) so i was wondering if itd be safe to put in the new manifold/throttlebody and set it up to were the new air filter sits where the center hood scoop will flow air directly into it.
is there any known issues with this type of setup that i missed scrolling the threads?
heres a diagram to try and give a better visual.
Handwriting Font Rectangle Drawing Slope

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,782 Posts

· Registered
2020 challenger rt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that does look good, im just not sure about getting a whole new hood for it, is the scoop to intake part attachable to the regulart r/t hood or is getting a new hood the only option for that kit?
Edit: just looked at it again and the scoop to intake part is in there i see it now thanks so much for showing me this! :)

· Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,474 Posts
Your idea sounds veeeeery expensive and would likely require some retuning to accommodate for air characteristics provided by new manifold and TB. This will provide a more direct path for ambient air to enter the intake system at a very small fraction of investment your talking about.
Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Auto part

I have done some experimenting with IAT and come to theses conclusions.
-Once the vehicle is moving IAT will return to Ambient + a few degrees. The difference between air inlets will be minimal, under 5° at best which is meaningless in all but the most extreme performance situations.
  • At rest IAT will experience significant heat soak from an engine compartment at operating temperature.
  • Insulating the air inlet up to the TB can make a significant difference in IAT while at rest.
  • The difference in IAT from an insulated inlet will dissapate quickly when the vehicle begins to move, almost completely disappearing in 30 seconds to one minute.

Hope this is helpful.

• Helpful
Reactions: cruiseship_rt

· Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
10,160 Posts

· Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,474 Posts

· Registered
2015 SXT+ Phantom Black
55 Posts
so ive been looking at some fabricated intake manifolds and larger throttle bodys for the intake system on my 5.7 but while looking at these systems they all seem to have a front intake (the throttle body positioned on the front of the manifold) so i was wondering if itd be safe to put in the new manifold/throttlebody and set it up to were the new air filter sits where the center hood scoop will flow air directly into it.
is there any known issues with this type of setup that i missed scrolling the threads?
heres a diagram to try and give a better visual.
View attachment 1073626
What kind of intake do you have that has a penis on it???

· Registered
2020 challenger rt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your idea sounds veeeeery expensive and would likely require some retuning to accommodate for air characteristics provided by new manifold and TB. This will provide a more direct path for ambient air to enter the intake system at a very small fraction of investment your talking about.

I have done some experimenting with IAT and come to theses conclusions.
-Once the vehicle is moving IAT will return to Ambient + a few degrees. The difference between air inlets will be minimal, under 5° at best which is meaningless in all but the most extreme performance situations.
  • At rest IAT will experience significant heat soak from an engine compartment at operating temperature.
  • Insulating the air inlet up to the TB can make a significant difference in IAT while at rest.
  • The difference in IAT from an insulated inlet will dissapate quickly when the vehicle begins to move, almost completely disappearing in 30 seconds to one minute.

Hope this is helpful.
thanks for showing me this i just saved the part to order it later, this will def be a lot better than what i was thinking i totally forgot that the headlights have that opening lol

What kind of intake do you have that has a penis on it???
lol so the idea behind the design was manifold > throttle body > filter to basically have no tubing and have the air filter directly infront of the manifold to in theory allow air to flow directly to the engine through the center hood scoop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts