Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their challenger sit and idle for 5 minutes and taken note of what their air intake temp went to?

I've had my 2019 SCAT for 4 months and never actually let it sit and idle. Until today. I got to work early so i sat in my car with it running for 5 minutes and noticed my air intake temp was 107- 109 degrees. Its 66 degrees outside.

Is this normal? While driving my intake temp matches ambient temp + 1 or 2 degrees. At a light it will go up 10.

But seeing how high it went sitting makes me think I jacked something up when installing my Hellcat air box.

So im wondering if this is a normal after sitting still for 5 minutes with the engine running.

If i still had a stock air box I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Yes I added weather stripping to the bottom of the hellcat box. And yes the inlet tube is going to the Halo. I didn't just drop the box in without the tube to pull in hot engine air.

20200208_214717.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Pretty normal. I generally run 3 to 5 above ambient unless in traffic or slow speeds.

Edit-Changed "305" to "3 to 5"

Reactions: respond_code3

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wait what!!! So if its 80F outside your intake air temp is 385F?
Or did you mean 30 degrees hotter and accidently added a 5
Woops! I guess I can't drink and type at the same time! Maybe I confused tire size with temperature? Corrected-thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woops! I guess I can't drink and type at the same time! Maybe I confused tire size with temperature? Corrected-thanks!
LMAO! A whole new meaning when someone says your car is "fire".

Awesome, thanks guys... I guess I won't rip out the hellcat air box. The weather stripping was a little thinner than i wanted. So i layered it. 3 strips on top of eachother.

I Was going to rip it out and put 1 thicker piece down there. But hot air rises and my hood vents are right there so im not sure that would of made a difference.

Since its normal to run that hot at idle I'll leave everything as is.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
You will see that temp rise on just about any car...nature of the beast. I remember when coolant thermostats were in the 190-195F range now they are 203F. Although I also remember when it took 1/2hr before heat would blow out of the heater. Just glad that vapor lock or heat soaked starters are a thing of the passed.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
LMAO! A whole new meaning when someone says your car is "fire".

Awesome, thanks guys... I guess I won't rip out the hellcat air box. The weather stripping was a little thinner than i wanted. So i layered it. 3 strips on top of eachother.

I Was going to rip it out and put 1 thicker piece down there. But hot air rises and my hood vents are right there so im not sure that would of made a difference.

Since its normal to run that hot at idle I'll leave everything as is.
Normal for after the engine is up to temperature for the air intake temperature to climb if one lets the engine idle. (Or more often is the case shuts off the engine then comes back to it before it has time to cool down all the way.)

The intake heats up from the elevated engine compartment temperature.

You don't want any insulation of the intake system. This just gets hot and it takes longer for the intake to cool down when wrapped in hot insulation.

It is actually beneficial for the intake air to be warm at least after start up and around town where my experience is it will stay a bit warmer than ambient. The warmer intake air helps fuel atomization and this results in better combustion for better throttle response, a cleaner burning engine, and better fuel economy.

Once out of town on the highway/freeway the intake air temperature drops very quickly to depending upon the car/engine layout to -- my observation with my other cars -- 10F to 15F above ambient.

My Hellcat's intake air temperature is relatively speaking quite elevated over ambient due to the liquid cooled inter cooler. This setup does not cool the heated intake air as effectively as air to air inter coolers do.

For example believe it or not with my Porsche 996 Turbo with its two air cooled inter coolers the intake air temperature on the highway/freeway would be just 10F above ambient at cruising speed. This was lower than my N/A Boxster which ran in the best of conditions around 15F over ambient temperature. The Boxster engine being located mid-ship so to speak experienced a bit hotter engine compartment that the Turbo. The Turbo engine was located at the back of the car and had an open engine lid to allow for air flow into the engine compartment and even had a engine compartment fan that could be fused -- and my was -- to run all the time the engine was on. The Boxster had an engine compartment fan but it only came on when the engine compartment got to 135F.

The other notable difference is the Turbo engine air intake was located to pull in very cool air that flowed over the car. The Boxster air intake located on the side of the car happened to be positioned to get some air that flowed out of the radiator duct located just ahead of the front wheel well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts