Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why isn't this piece all smooth inside. The roof of the top side is a bunch of squares about 3/4 inch deep. This good for air flow?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
Probably good for manufacturing. Makes you wonder how much it matters. Likely they all flow more than the stock car needs. A Guy

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Heat will radiate as a function of surface area, so it could be to try to dissipate heat a little more??? Doesn't explain why the Hellcat top is flat though...

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,712 Posts
The SRT ones are smooth if you want to swap it for one of those. It may have something to do with harmonics?
The SRT ones aren't smooth (at least the one on our 2015 SRT 392 isn't). The Hellcat ones are because they need all of the airflow that the blower can get and the ribs could create turbulence when the blower is sucking in all of that air.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I smoothed the one in my blown 3.6 and lost air charge ( data logging) and in return lost e.t. and trap speed at the race track. I order a new top so I could compare the air flow numbers again.

Porting the lid seemed to disrupt air flow at least in my case and enough to hurt performance even in better DA on top of that no matter how much testing I did I could not get air charge numbers as good as the stock lid.

I also installed a hellcat top and custom tube to the throttle body and picked up air charge numbers over the ported lid and got way better 0-60mph runs.

So I'm testing all different kinds of top combinations to find the best air charge numbers for my blown 3.6 hopefully have this all sorted out in a few weeks to see which combo is the best for my ride, there seems to be a pattern between tops and filters and tubes, I just need to have all the parts at one time( waiting on my stock lid to arrive) to conduct a full on test between them all at one time within a small window of time to make it a fair comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Could just be a supplier difference. It might even be something that's not considered to be important?

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Why isn't this piece all smooth inside. The roof of the top side is a bunch of squares about 3/4 inch deep. This good for air flow?
My guess is that it is for long term rigidity of the plastic part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts