Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems a easy thing to remove but is there any benefits or complications associated with taking it off?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
it's clearly a restriction. toss it. some R/T's come with it, but my R/T didn't. if the factory eliminates it in some cars, it will be okay to remove it on your car. my SE came with it and i removed it within the first week.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony,

good point never considered it from that point of view.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
took mine out when I went full install on CAI. No problems here.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took mine out when I went full install on CAI. No problems here.
That's right Dave you did pull yours. Your pic at the asylum is why I know what it looks like. Thanks...

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
i believe its only a 3.5 thing...yes it can be removed as others noted above. some may have it, while others may not. when i installed the mopar cold air kit on our Charger 3.5, i ditched the silencer as well

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well mine is gonna be gone this weekend then.
Wonder though if I can tilt the tire in and get access or am I gonna have to jack it up and remove the tire?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
the SRT has the lower front of the box by the headlight cut away that and the hole in the fender are more than enough to feed a 425+ HP Hemi, I'm sure it is more than enough for a S/E. I took mine off and the intake is not very much louder. Did not not any power. I look at routing a tube to the front fog light.. but ehh the SRT cut of the front bottom of the air box is just as good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just removed my air silencer on 3.5L to install a CAI. Any chance of water coming up where the tube used to be ?
I admit, I worried about that a bit also. However I purchased an Air Raid Pre-Filter sleeve to go over my filter. They are water resistant, install in seconds, and the best part is they clean easily and saves cleaning on the actual filter itself. If you have an Air Raid CAI on your 3.5 the part number is 799-450 and cost around $30.00. My sleeve is black but I have started seeing them in more colours as of late. This is the same technology they use on motorcycles with cold air intakes. By the way, I have noticed no difference in performance having this installed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Back in the day...

My father had a '73 Buick LeSabre which, once I started driving, I had use of it untill I got my first car, an '86 Chevy Monte Carlo LT (305 V8).

Anyway, the LeSabre had a Buick 350 with a 2 barrel carb and a typical donut style air filter with the can and snout thing going on. Well, the top of the can unscrewed and I found that I could replace the cover upside down and get a 1 inch gap all around the top of the can. That allowed the carb to draw air from the full circumference of the filter rather than just the hole where the snout attached.

I don't know if it made any difference in power, but it sure did howl when I got on it. I loved the sound. My father hated it. He made me put it right so he could drive the car when he needed it.

I don't know if these new CAI will ever sound like that but I wouldn't mind a little of that in the Chally.

(Sorry, just reminising.)

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
if you ran the filter into the fender well, that water will have to travel a good ways for it to get to the throttle body. I had mine installed for a year and never had any problems with it, also in the fender well it is a pretty much out of the elements unless you actually run that car in deep water. running through a puddle will not get any to the filter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts