Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to get an Airaid intake but I’m worried about car wash pressure washer water going into the headlight intake and soaking the filter wet causing hydrolock.

Is this a possibility or am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Dude I’ve been wondering this forever lol. Same with the hellcat lower box and the scoop. It doesn’t seem like a good idea but I’d imagine it would be really hard for enough water to go through that hole and hit the filter.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude I’ve been wondering this forever lol. Same with the hellcat lower box and the scoop. It doesn’t seem like a good idea but I’d imagine it would be really hard for enough water to go through that hole and hit the filter.
The Hellcat box n scoop would be better off than a cone filter because the element sits higher and is more flat. But the Airaid CAI is literally in front of the hole.

I’m thinking of getting a 3” diameter flexible tube and pointing it downwards so that water goes down the fender hole instead of hitting the filter directly while still providing extra air.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Hellcat box n scoop would be better off than a cone filter because the element sits higher and is more flat. But the Airaid CAI is literally in front of the hole.

I’m thinking of getting a 3” diameter flexible tube and pointing it downwards so that water goes down the fender hole instead of hitting the filter directly while still providing extra air.
they make those waterproof air intake covers as well? Just wrap the filter and you should be good.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,016 Posts
I either hand wash or laser car wash my car just about every weekend. I have an AirAid 352-210 and a 799-472 Pre-Filter

The AIRAID Pre-Filter is manufactured from a durable water resistant polyester material
I installed this specifically for the water resistant part. I don't have my headlight open, but doubt even if the filter got wet it would be an issue. You'd have to have a full headlight hole wide stream of constant water to cause any issue. I doubt much water gets in there from a car wash, but a pre-filter, or what Cominfromcamaro posted would suffice for peace of mind. My filter is like brand new due to the pre-filter BTW, just shake off the pre-filter, and little, if anything actually reaches the filter itself

A Guy

Reactions: Gront

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I either hand wash or laser car wash my car just about every weekend. I have an AirAid 352-210 and a 799-472 Pre-Filter

I installed this specifically for the water resistant part. I don't have my headlight open, but doubt even if the filter got wet it would be an issue. You'd have to have a full headlight hole wide stream of constant water to cause any issue. I doubt much water gets in there from a car wash, but a pre-filter, or what Cominfromcamaro posted would suffice for peace of mind. My filter is like brand new due to the pre-filter BTW, just shake off the pre-filter, and little, if anything actually reaches the filter itself

A Guy
Thanks, I suppose I’ll have to get one. Do you think it’s a good idea to wait a month for Black Friday? No idea if automotive sites do Black Friday sales.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
772 Posts
I think y'all might be over-thinking this.

Mopar Ram Air setups like the Air Grabber and RamCharger" have been around for a LONG time. And there were similar setups from other manufacturers. Rain water and wash water have never posed a problem.

I installed the current Challenger T/A-style CAI on my '15 Challenger SRT which has the hood scoop and the open headlight both ducted to the air filter. I wash my car on a pretty regular basis and have never had an issue with water getting to the filter. And certainly not enough to create a hydrolock situation. However, I do cover the filter with a plastic bag when I wash/detail the engine compartment.

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
A wet filter won't cause hydrolock. You need to get a sufficient amount of water in the cylinder to the point that the piston tries to compress the water for that to happen.

Hell, back in the old days, slowly pouring a glass of water down the carburetor of a running engine was a way of knocking out carbon buildup.

Unless you are planning on sticking a garden hose in the air box, through the headlight tube, while holding the throttle open at 5,000rpm, I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts