Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't expect much improvement on performance from installing a CAI in my 2012 SXT/SST; their ads claim 10HP and 14TQ increase for the 3.6, so I figured I would get at least 5 extra HP (I know, probably wouldn't notice it), and 1-2 extra MPG...........

I installed it before the Superbowl (Feb. 2). A week before, I did a bunch of 0-60 runs, and my best time was 6.64. I live in Florida and for all of February and March the weather has been nice and cool. I have no other mods to my ride, and I followed the directions.

After install I did the #2 fuse pull, and for the next two weeks did a bunch of 0-60 runs. They were worse than before the install, and my new best time was 6.71. Appears that I lost a slight amount of power - AT BEST, there was NO IMPROVEMENT IN POWER between the stock airbox and the Airaid CAI. OK, maybe the improvement is apparent after 60 MPH? Would there have been an improvement had I compared before and after times on a 1/8 or 1/4 track? Does that sound right to anyone?

I do like the sound - it's a slight improvement overall, and when you get on it, she growls.

OK, then for the last three weeks I've been checking the MPG each tankful. My driving is about half city, half highway. Surely I'd see a slight improvement on MPG, right? NONE. NOTHING.

Overall I'm pleased with the slight sound improvement (finding good improvement on the V6 is not easy), and I got it on sale from the Advanced Auto Parts site, but..........AIRAID, what gives? Absolutely NO PERFORMANCE increase in speed or MPG?????

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
you typically won't see or feel ANY gains by driving.. you MIGHT feel a touch better throttle response.. more sound for sure.. the only way you will SEE anything is a dyno. it is more about looks and sound than anything..

that applies for all cold air intakes and not just yours
chris

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yep, what champ says above is correct. A lot of dyno numbers on websites are misleading too. At any rate you did get some increase in sound and I'm sure it looks good under the hood...plus Airaid filters are pretty good. Even though you didn't get a big bump in performance, you do have a nice CAI setup.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
IF you got a tune you would see more improvement...right now you are just adding more air and not doing anything with your mixture at all...so you are probably seeing a dip in power in some portions of your power curve...ie more than likely right in the middle you get a dump in power....

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
94 Posts
Agreed 100% with what everyone else says. Horsepower claims are generally grossly over rated by the manufacturer. And you don't ever get big gains from one mod alone, I started with exhaust and didn't feel much, then installed my intake and tune and then noticed the difference. A tune really gets the most out of your mods.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
With a quality intake and a custom tune you'll get more out of the modification. I would go with either AFE or Legmaker. No other intakes out there have ACTUAL independent HP numbers to back them up. Don't go by the manufacturer. According to K&N you get 22hp from their Typhoon CAI......... yeah right!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
IF you got a tune you would see more improvement...right now you are just adding more air and not doing anything with your mixture at all...so you are probably seeing a dip in power in some portions of your power curve...ie more than likely right in the middle you get a dump in power....
Technically, he's not adding any more air. ;) Without forced induction the engine is simply an air pump, the air box on the 3.6L is the same airbox (and filter) used on the R/T and SRT8 so it can flow enough air to support 470HP without issue.

The Airaid "CAI" is more of a "WAI" (warm air intake), though it does seem to be shielded from engine bay heat a bit but it is still not really pulling in cool air. Warmer air is less dense and, at least in HEMIland, also leads to pulled timing. Both of these hurt performance.

If the OP were truly adding more air then the AFR would change and the PCM would compensate, even with the stock tune, by adding more fuel in order to avoid a lean condition, so more air + more fuel should mean more power. The stock airbox/filter aren't really restrictions and they do pull in cold air so this is why a lot of people see no change or even worse performance with certain aftermarket CAIs. This is also the reason I'm still running the stock airbox and filter even though I've done headers and cat-back.

·
Registered
387 Posts
First of all, you shouldn't have pulled fuse #2. How are you going to immediately see the difference between the intakes if you reset everything?

Second, I think that intake you bought only replaces the airbox and filter...and that is NOT the restrictive spot in the factory system...which is why I did not buy that kit. What you want is a kit with a straight through perfectly smooth intake tube from the TB to the filter. If you look inside the factory tube you'll see all kinds of flow restrictions and resonance baffles.

My experience was completely the opposite. I immediately saw .2 tenths faster times with my K&N kit and over the next two months it increased to .3 tenths. I have since gone back and forth between stock and K&N for comparison and according to the dash timer, my car is clearly faster with the K&N installed.

As far as MPGs...that's a myth.. More air going in requires more fuel going in to keep the ratio where the ECU is happy. Which means that it's technically impossible to get better MPGs with a CAI. You might keep MPGs the same if you drive very easy...but it'll never get better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts