Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Not new on forums, but new on here. I have a 2012 Dodge Challenger SXT that have been in a minor collision (hit an embankment according to Carfax) and it was enough for the airbags to deploy. Bought this from the auction, and the previous owner was actually a body shop. My mechanic told me that they did fix the front end and put new airbags in - however it was not enough for the airbag light to go away.

According to the codes that my mechanic retrieved; I'd need a clock spring, seat belts, pre-tensioners, and the module. Now my question is, are any of these something that I can do myself if I order the parts? I have modify car parts before myself but nothing as major as the airbag situation. If its something that I can do myself, it'll keep my wallet a bit heavier.

Any help, advice, and/or suggestions are highly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
these are all bolt - in parts, probably if you can find a dismantler that has these parts from a car that didn't deploy the seatbelt pre-tensioners or the steering wheel airbag.

The rear quarter trims have to be removed (rear seat backrest must be removed first) to access the front belt tensioner and the rear seat belt tensioners as well if those require replacement as well.

The other things to look into is whether the front impact sensors or harnesses are in good shape or were replaced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
these are all bolt - in parts, probably if you can find a dismantler that has these parts from a car that didn't deploy the seatbelt pre-tensioners or the steering wheel airbag.

The rear quarter trims have to be removed (rear seat backrest must be removed first) to access the front belt tensioner and the rear seat belt tensioners as well if those require replacement as well.

The other things to look into is whether the front impact sensors or harnesses are in good shape or were replaced.
According to my mechanic, my steering wheel has an airbag in it since he didn't get the code for it. I believe my front seat belts and tensions are the only need to be replaced, rears didn't trigger the code. So it does sound like this is something that I can remove and install new or used but not blown parts myself?

I will definitely have the front impact sensor checked out again - my mechanic said when he was retrieving the codes, he didn't get those sensor codes. However, he said that he didn't get the 'concern' codes, which is the specific source of the problem, and further airbag diagnostic is required to find out exactly. My mechanic doesn't really deal with airbags so that's why he didn't get the concerns.

Hope any of this makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont know if you can do it yourself, most likely not since you need to install new igniters, and remove crash from srs unit to make it functional again or if you dont care you can just stick a bunch of resistor to kill the signal that you can do.

but if you want it back to original state you can try a repair company like srsmodule.com still cheaper than buying new or used

1 - 4 of 4 Posts