Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Scatpack M6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too. I have the Accuair E-Level and love the handling at max height (stiff), but love the lowered look (aired out, softer). Has anyone been able to stiffen up their rides at lowered height? I looked at a ping/accumulator tank but I think that does the opposite of what I want. Maybe adjusting them mechanically?

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,612 Posts
Welcome to your 1st post ;) I don't know that much about air ride, but if the bags are just replacing the springs, you still have dampers and top mounts, and that's where you can control the stiffness I think. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply

A Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, I’ve been lurking for a few years and always found the info by searching. This site is a fantastic resource.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi All,

I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too. I have the Accuair E-Level and love the handling at max height (stiff), but love the lowered look (aired out, softer). Has anyone been able to stiffen up their rides at lowered height? I looked at a ping/accumulator tank but I think that does the opposite of what I want. Maybe adjusting them mechanically?

Thanks for the help
Since it's the air volume that supports the load, just like in tires, accumulators wouldn't help.
The only way I can think of at the moment would be to go to small diameter air springs with bells, not the typical bellow type.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jimmy. I reached out to AccuAir and they just replied saying a ping tank would stiffen it up at lower heights. Now to find a write up on it, the only things I found so far were related to lifted trucks and RV's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My installer just agreed with what you said regarding swapping bags for micro bags. Those would be in the rear and he said to put a ping tank on each front bag.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hmm. That sounds a bit backwards to me. Far from an expert on air springs, but if I had to put "ping tanks" (increase the volume) anywhere it wouldn't be in the front.

That would likely result in a stiffer rear, much like a heftier anti sway bar, which could promote over steer.

Either way, increasing the volume, with tanks or otherwise, would result in a lower air pressure to support a given load. You want the opposite, right?

I've pondered the same problem, both for air springs on my Jeep and (more comparable) Ram 3500. So far my best potential solution has been to find suitable bell type springs, and fine tune the spring rate with different bells if need be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it depends on where in the stream the tank is installed. Not sure either but yeah my initial understanding was like yours where it would have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It really shouldn't matter much where a tank/extra volume is tapped in. If away from the air spring, and/or plumbed in with very small diameter tubing, it can delay the reactions.
But I don't understand how it could change them.

You really have me interested now as I have thought about these things for years, just never got around to build anything to prove me right or wrong.
I've even thought about building something that (mechanically) would make the air springs work "in reverse" and be firmer at low ride height.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Side note: I thought I heard Elon say his new Cybertruck has airbags with a 4” travel range and pneumatic shocks as backup and ride control. I’ll have to watch it again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts