Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Alarm beeping issues for no reason

9K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Rockster 
#1 ·
My 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T a week ago started beeping when I walked up next to it without me pressing the key fob, I thought well that’s weird and decided maybe the key fob battery was low so I replaced it with a new battery and no change, still beeps unless I manually lock it from the inside and shut the door doesn’t beep. Has anyone heard of this before? I have video of it but can’t figure out how to attach it to this thread.

#3 ·
check your cars actual battery level. This 'can be' an indicator of low volt.
also: if batt level is good to go on both fob & car batt. try a batt disconnect (both cables wait 5 mins, reconnect) this will reboot the ATS. Finally, just because a fob batt was "new" unopened in package, does NOT mean it was actually still good. Ive bought brand new batts that were all but dead.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I took it to get the battery checked and it’s running at full amps. When I turned the car off it locked me in it and before three times. It has something to do with the alarm system but I don’t know what.

Beeped

It's the car horn beeping? Do the doors also lock when this happens?
View attachment 1006963
A Guy
It’s seems to be auto locking itself, it locked me in the car today when I turned it off

#5 ·
It's the car horn beeping? Do the doors also lock when this happens?

A Guy

#7 ·
Do you have more than the one fob? If so, I'd try the other one and see if the same issue. It's beeping because beep when locked is on (I assume), so the issue does seem to be it's locking when you approach, and randomly (or when you shut the car off?)

A Guy

#9 ·
With another car that developed the habit of locking the doors at semi random times but stil confined to shortly after driving off from a cold start, or when I locked the car again at random times the horn would beep like there was a door ajar but there never was, and one more odd behavior which you have not reported but my car's passenger window would not drop when the door was opened using either handle. But worse was sometimes it would drop when the door was opened just normal like but after a moment or two could go up again.

I may have suspected a bad key and tried the second key or suspected weak batteries and replaced them but I'm sure if I did I'm sure I'd remember if this helped.

The underlying problem turned out to be with a (passenger side) door lock controller.

Another reported cause of this and other odd behavior with the door locks and windows was water in the door.

However, the door bottoms were dry.

I took the car in for the symptoms. Tech read the codes from the security module which were inconclusive. He removed the door panel and checked mechanical linkages and found them good then did some more tests and confirmed it was the door lock controller and not the door handle switch or door latch switch.

After the new door lock controller all the horn beeping, self locking, and weird window behavior was gone.

#10 ·
I finally figured it out after racking my brain for a while I decided to completely take part my key fob and noticed that my locking button on the fob under the computer had slid off to the side, so I took a dab of nail glue and reattached it and low and behold it worked just like new again and the auto locking security issue is gone. With that being said I’ve also decided to purchase a new key fob so this wouldn’t happen again. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and gave suggestions it’s much appreciated.

#11 ·
I finally figured it out after racking my brain for a while I decided to completely take part my key fob and noticed that my locking button on the fob under the computer had slid off to the side, so I took a dab of nail glue and reattached it and low and behold it worked just like new again and the auto locking security issue is gone. With that being said I’ve also decided to purchase a new key fob so this wouldn’t happen again. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and gave suggestions it’s much appreciated.
Believe it or not had something similar with my Boxster keyfob.

The symptom was after arriving home from work and after was my usual habit of retrieving my jacket and laptop from the rear trunk of the car which required I use the keyfob rear trunk lid unlock button when I went to lock the car it locked like normal, but then rear trunk lid popped open.

Did this several times in succession.

At first I had no clue but finally -- by luck I think -- figured out what was going on.

The buttons each had a rubber membrane. Over the years from use the membrane of the rear trunk lid unlock developed a split and the edge of the membrane got caught under the plastic of the keyfob housing and just enough to push on the lid unlock buttom.

I used that rear trunk to stow my laptop and jacket in on my way to and from the office. That button got used as much as the door lock/unlock button.

At some point noticed the membrane stuck under the key housing. Inside the house I used a needle to get the membrane out from under housing and then back at the car everything was fine. Switched to the other key and next day on the way to work stopped at Porsche dealer and ordered a new keyfob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.