Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my car aligned at Goodyear and the tech told me it was WAY bad. ( I just got a 2013 RT used under a year ago)
Anyway, they realigned it, but a few weeks after I noticed my driver side rear has TWICE the wheel well space as my passenger side. It wasn’t like this before...I am gonna take it back in, but do any of you know what causes this? It only happened AFTER alignment.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I recently got my car aligned at Goodyear and the tech told me it was WAY bad. ( I just got a 2013 RT used under a year ago)
Anyway, they realigned it, but a few weeks after I noticed my driver side rear has TWICE the wheel well space as my passenger side. It wasn’t like this before...I am gonna take it back in, but do any of you know what causes this? It only happened AFTER alignment.
Need more info on what they did. Did they measure ride height? Did they replace 1 spring for whatever reason? It seems really unlikely that adjusting alignment caused a height change on this kind of suspension.

Are you measuring height on level ground? Was the car in a previous accident?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need more info on what they did. Did they measure ride height? Did they replace 1 spring for whatever reason? It seems really unlikely that adjusting alignment caused a height change on this kind of suspension.

Are you measuring height on level ground? Was the car in a previous accident?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
The car has a clean bill of health, but that doesn’t necessarily mean there was no accident...it was just a regular alignment, no spring changes nothing like that. I’m hyper sensitive to how my car looks and it def raised after alignment. I’ve parked it on several different places and they were level. I have not measured, but eyeballing it, I would estimate 1/4 to 1/2” difference. Best way to describe it is: I make a fist like I’m holding a mug of beer, place it in the wheel well on the top of tire, and on the driver side, I can make a whole fist with a tiny bit extra room. On passenger side I cant make a fist. It’s like one finger difference. It’s bazaar, but even my lady noticed just by looking at it.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You must have really good eyes to notice 1/4" to 1/2" difference from one side to the other. I'll bet you if you push up and down on the suspension a few times, it won't return to the same place every time.

I've seen some other threads that suggest that differences is height this small from one part of the car to other are within the manufacturers tolerances an nothing to be concerned about.

That being said, there's nothing about a wheel alignment that should alter the height enough to notice. Theoretically, really bad camber (Wheel tilted in or out when looking from the front or back) would make the car ride on the edge of the tire instead of flat in the middle, resulting in a minuscule height difference, but for that difference to be noticeable, the camber would have been so bad, you'd have worn the edge of the tire down, and even then, you may not have seen it in the height.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must have really good eyes to notice 1/4" to 1/2" difference from one side to the other. I'll bet you if you push up and down on the suspension a few times, it won't return to the same place every time.

I've seen some other threads that suggest that differences is height this small from one part of the car to other are within the manufacturers tolerances an nothing to be concerned about.

That being said, there's nothing about a wheel alignment that should alter the height enough to notice. Theoretically, really bad camber (Wheel tilted in or out when looking from the front or back) would make the car ride on the edge of the tire instead of flat in the middle, resulting in a minuscule height difference, but for that difference to be noticeable, the camber would have been so bad, you'd have worn the edge of the tire down, and even then, you may not have seen it in the height.
Yeah, that makes sense, maybe it’s just coincidental and perhaps my shock is taking a shit. Good news if that’s the case, I have a set of Bilstein shocks and struts with Mopar stage 1 lowering springs that I’m installing soon. I’ll update after installation to let you know If it fixed it. If it doesn’t, then I’ll take it to the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts