Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about my alignment. My car is a 2017 scat pack with 8000 miles. About 3 months ago I installed HR lowering springs and got the car aligned that same day no problems. Last week I started feeling vibration when going between 65 amd 75. Took the car back to get aligned again and my wheels balanced and rotated. Did not fix the problem. I then took my car to the dealership and they said my 2 front tires have flat spots, there reasoning is I’m taking off and braking to fast. I don’t race the car, have never done a burnout or doughnut, yes I do drive aggressive at some times but hard for me to believe at 8000 miles I would need new tires already. They replaced the 2 front tires and vibration is gone. I’m worried that the problem is my alignment and I’m going to burn thru these tires just as fast. Here is the specs from my last alignment. Are these numbers bad enough to be the issue with going thru those tires? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Alignment won't cause a vibration. But the -2 degrees camber you have in the front might speed up the wear. Also if your tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar, they aren't going to last long no matter what you do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Pirelli p zero. I know the alignment wouldn’t cause the vibration I was just curious if my current specs are causing these tires to wear down fast.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have some questions about my alignment. My car is a 2017 scat pack with 8000 miles. About 3 months ago I installed HR lowering springs and got the car aligned that same day no problems. Last week I started feeling vibration when going between 65 amd 75. Took the car back to get aligned again and my wheels balanced and rotated. Did not fix the problem. I then took my car to the dealership and they said my 2 front tires have flat spots, there reasoning is I’m taking off and braking to fast. I don’t race the car, have never done a burnout or doughnut, yes I do drive aggressive at some times but hard for me to believe at 8000 miles I would need new tires already. They replaced the 2 front tires and vibration is gone. I’m worried that the problem is my alignment and I’m going to burn thru these tires just as fast. Here is the specs from my last alignment. Are these numbers bad enough to be the issue with going thru those tires? Thanks for any help.
Sounds Like a lot of dealer B.S. to me.
Typically the only thing that would create flat spots on tires would be extended storage in cold climates and even then it is generally a temporary condition. That is, it generally goes away after the tire is warmed up from driving a while. I have heard of some cases where a tire may not return to its proper round shape but I don't think that's very common.
To the best of my knowledge no alignment problem would result in flat spots.

I suggest you check it out with alignment establishments and get some independent expert opinions.

There may be some other causes for flat spots but one thing for sure, it's NOT caused by "taking off and braking to fast".
Have them explain the logic behind that reason! How could that possibly cause flat spots. With ABS brakes you can't lock the wheels! Taking off too fast???? I can't even imagine a mechanic would say such a thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trust me I went back and forth with the service department and that’s all they kept saying, pretty much said no matter what I say that’s the problem and that’s it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Yeah that's some BS for sure. Though it would seem something was up with those tires, if the vibration went away after replacing them. Especially after re-balancing didn't work. If not flat-spotted, perhaps a separation or excessive road force variation.

Anyway, it's possible those camber angles are accelerating your wear a bit. Keep an eye on them, specifically the tread depths across the face of the tread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts