Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
front pulled a little to the right since I got the car, dealership said the had to adjust the "cradle"
to get the car in spec..on the spec sheet below, does everything look ok to you alignment experts?

the car drives quite differently than before, no pull anymore but it does steer very different. the steering seems
to take much less effort but also it doesn't seem as stable if that makes sense. it was pretty windy on the way
home and the car seemed to be easily blown around, didn't notice that before.

there was also an update done at the same time "steering positioning sensor" in the steering column control module.

I really don't understand all of the "out of spec" numbers on the alignment.. seems like they reproduced numbers on the other side that are not out of spec.

anything look wrong? look perfect? opinions from the experts please..

thanks.. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
The reason it was pulling was because the left front had more positive caster than the right,the caster is what makes the car track straight and return the tires to center after turning.I don't know about adjusting the cradle your thrust line was okay and doesn't look any different after the adjustment were probably padding the bill on that one.Also was toed in and not equal on both sides which they equalled and to the excess out.So with fixing the caster and fixing the toe should be driving fine,you where actually steering to the left all the time to compensate for the caster.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The reason it was pulling was because the left front had more positive caster than the right,the caster is what makes the car track straight and return the tires to center after turning.I don't know about adjusting the cradle your thrust line was okay and doesn't look any different after the adjustment were probably padding the bill on that one.Also was toed in and not equal on both sides which they equalled and to the excess out.So with fixing the caster and fixing the toe should be driving fine,you where actually steering to the left all the time to compensate for the caster.

that's exactly what it felt like, like I had to put constant pressure on the wheel to the left. when I'd let go the wheel would jerk to the right a little. funny thing is that all of that was set that way at the factory because it's been that way since day one and now going straight down the road the steering wheel is slightly turned to the right.

I've read of quite a few owners saying they had a pull/push to the right brand new and the alignment took care of it.. wonder why the factory sets them up this way? the tech came out and talked to me (seemed very experienced) and said most are this way from the factory he has checked. I was getting I think what is called
"bumpsteer" , maybe quite a bit.. not sure if that's any different now I haven't noticed... but it does feel sort of like I went from manual steering to power steering, kind of..

thanks for helping me understand a little more. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
No problem.If your not happy with your steering wheel position take it back and have him tweek the tie rods a little doesn't even have to be hooked back up to the machine,should only take a few minutes.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You got a good bit of camber in your suspension. :p Are you lowered?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got a good bit of camber in your suspension. :p Are you lowered?

no, came like this from the factory Randy.. stock Super Track Pack suspension all the way.

I drove it nearly 100 miles tonight and it sure drives good, steering wheel is a hair off but not bad enough to bother the dealer right now.. no pull, seems like it handles rough pavement a little more comfortably (probably my imagination) and I didn't notice any bumpsteer like I have before.. feels pretty good I think.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Ah, the STP effect, I guess!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ah, the STP effect, I guess!
does the STP make a difference in alignment specs? are the specs different between STP and non STP?

I thought about the Mopar Stage 1 lowering springs or similar kit but it sits a hair lower in front than
measurements others have posted and the back is about where other STP's sit. I might just do 255's
all around or 255's on rear when I replace tires. the ride height is fine now, it's seemed to have settled
a bit from delivery. Bob Frederick said it seemed to sit a little higher than most he'd delivered and figured
it would settle a bit... and it has some :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I imagine anything is possible, as far as STP. Maybe the ride height is a little lower. Maybe there is a tweak to the lower control arm or bushings to put more camber in for track duty...who knows? If the ride height settled such that it was something you could visually notice, that would certainly change the camber a bit.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I imagine anything is possible, as far as STP. Maybe the ride height is a little lower. Maybe there is a tweak to the lower control arm or bushings to put more camber in for track duty...who knows? If the ride height settled such that it was something you could visually notice, that would certainly change the camber a bit.

oh yea, over a month or so it dropped a noticeable amount. my regular mechanic looked at the print out late yesterday and said he'd like to see the front caster numbers a little closer but otherwise if it drives fine it's good.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
My front-left caster is a bit off just like in your print-out, but only because it had an unfortunate intimate encounter with a curb while in snow. ;) It jacked the camber up in that corner, too...used to be about -.5 deg, but now it is stuck at .1 deg. :( The mechanic said my car is now essentially set up for a left-turn circle track. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts