Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ugh. anyone here knowledgable about the SRT suspensions? I have a 2013 SRT8. Getting pretty frustrated with an alignment/suspension issue. I'll try to keep it short, but got ran off the road a couple weeks ago. Came around a corner at 40-45mph to find a tractor/wagon half in my lane. Quick reaction was to steer right, ended up with passenger wheels in the ditch. When it came ,the back end was loose and I fishtailed a couple times. Thought I had it reigned in when it suddenly caught traction and shot me into a cornfield on the left side. Don't recall hitting anything particularly hard, but ended up with a blown sidewall on back driver tire, and my steering wheel now sat 90 degrees to the right to hold straight ahead. Had the tire replaced and brought it to the tire shop for alignment. He worked on it and got the wheel straightened out mostly, but it pulls pretty severely to the left. He said he had to use every bit of available adjustment to get it there and there's nothing else he can do. Thinks something must be bent, but he and other techs there couldn't find it. Suggested maybe the rack is bent. Sends me to another guy he's confident can figure it out.

Car handles poorly now, pulls badly to the left, and feels like I'm driving along the top of a ridge. Whenever I start to turn either way, the car REALLY wants to go that way. So this other guy can't find anything and sends me to another, who actually takes a bunch of time to discuss, test ride, takes some quick measurements, and points out that the front tires are severely toed in (top of tire is visually much farther in than bottom). Tells me he hates to say it but should probably take it to the dealer. Might have to be put in "alignment mode" with Dodge software before an alignment can be done, but also thinks there's something more serious going on.

So, I take it to the dealer, explain all the above. "So you need an alignment?" No. I think there's something more serious going on. Explain it all again. I watch her write down "alignment." Ok, whatever. Maybe doing that will help them see/find whatever is going on. I also asked them to turn on daytime running lights, which I understand is possible on my car (2013 SRT8), and fix the wiper issue. They're improperly mounted from what I read here, and rubbing the backside of the hood.

So, they call me back with the following:
DRL not available on your car
Aftermarket strut stabilizer bar installed, suggest you take to installer to fix wipers
Tech found you have one new tire in back, and front tires are both worn on inside edge. suggest alignment after installing new tires.

Me: Yes, I told you about the new tire. The front tires wearing on the inside likely come from the severe toe-in I now have. I've had to put a few 100 miles on it in the two weeks I waited for your appointment. The remaining tires only have 7-8k on them since I replaced them in June. So they didn't do an alignment?
Her: No, he suggests new tires first. Didn't want to waste your money.
Me: Bthere's something definitely wrong. It doesn't feel safe to drive. I'm not going to drive it around like this for another what 10-20k miles until tires need replacement. Did they look for other issues?
Her: Yes, tech states inspected front suspension, found nothing bent.
Me: Did he drive it?
Her: Yes.
Me: And?
Her: Definitely something's not right. Needs new tires first, then an alignment.
Me: Ok whatever, what do I owe you?
Her: $98.
Me: Wait, you quoted me $80 for alignment. Didn't do it cause it's a waste of money, then charge me $98? How does that work?
Her: We did spend time looking it over.
:scratchhead:

So now what? Anyone have any suggestions? Anything I can look for or test myself? Pretty mechanically inclined, but don't know a whole lot about suspension/steering/alignment. I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Any suggestions for a shop I can take it to that knows how to align these?

Thanks!

·
Registered
955 Posts
You have bent suspension, I would replace everything on the corners that took an impact (strut very likely bent, steering knuckle may be bent but less likely.)

Replace struts in pairs, only. Do not replace single struts.

It's also possible that you bent the suspension pick up points on the cradle, shifted the cradle, and/or moved the frame rails.

This is Collision damage. I would kick it over to your insurance and take it to a well equipped and qualified, collision shop.

I would request that the structure is 3 dimensionally measured.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have bent suspension, I would replace everything on the corners that took an impact (strut very likely bent, steering knuckle may be bent but less likely.)

Replace struts in pairs, only. Do not replace single struts.

It's also possible that you bent the suspension pick up points on the cradle, shifted the cradle, and/or moved the frame rails.

This is Collision damage. I would kick it over to your insurance and take it to a well equipped and qualified, collision shop.

I would request that the structure is 3 dimensionally measured.
thanks for the response. I think you're right. hopefully i can still file a claim.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
What OregonScat said.

I can add years ago in my '96 Mustang GT pulled into a strange parking in bad weather and the drive had a stupid curb island right in the middle. Ran over the curb with both right tires.

Blew a tire and bent a wheel.

Got a new wheel and tire but the car was obviously "bent". Dealer was of no help.

Luckily for me there was a highly regarded alignment shop in the area and I took the car there. Long story short the tech found the car's alignment way way way out. But he found the problem was the front cross member had been shoved back some from the force of the impact. He told me -- and I he may have showed me but I can't recall now -- he could see where teh bolt heads had been and where they had moved to.

He loosened the bolts a bit and with the help of another tech with a large sledge hammer and a big old block of wood drove the cross member back into proper position using the marks where the bolt heads had been originally.

When he was satisfied the cross member was back in position he torqued the fasteners down and made some minor adjustments to the alignment and afterwards the car felt like its old self. And tire wear -- front and back -- was even and acceptable.

You need to find yourself such a shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts