Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2016 SP 6 months this past Monday and discovered the tires are shot, worn bad on the insides. Not very happy as I bought the car with only 14k miles and it’s now at at 19k miles. The dealer agreed to a free alignment and new tires at cost. Now the decision of which 275’s I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,277 Posts
This will be interesting to me too. I've got just shy of 29k on the original RSA2's and I'lm starting to look at the 275/40 all season options too.

A few quick observations from various comments.

Conti EC's. Folks love them or hate them.

Michelin. The latest version of Pilots gets comments about being harsh riding and noisey.

I won't own a Firestone anything again.

BFG???

Cooper???

Toyo???

Hankook??

I'm just wanting a good performing all season tire that has a descent and quiet ride in the 40k -50k mileage range.

Sorry no help to you, but like you, looking at what's out there.

I will say that the Goodyear RSA's have been a reliable tire. Wearing ok, no leaks, no flats, and has stayed together under several smokey burnouts.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
Had my 2016 SP 6 months this past Monday and discovered the tires are shot, worn bad on the insides. Not very happy as I bought the car with only 14k miles and it’s now at at 19k miles. The dealer agreed to a free alignment and new tires at cost. Now the decision of which 275’s I want.

If the front tires are factory sanctioned tires get the same tires for the rear. If the front tires are not factory sanctioned my advice would be to select factory sanctioned tires for the rear then buy front tires to match.

Not a good ideal to mix tires on a high performance car especially if you chose to not use factory sanctioned tires. There is more to these tires than just the size and that they fit the wheels and the car.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They agreed to a full set of tires. Leaning towards General G-Max AS05 or Nitto Motivo. Both are rated at 50k miles. My last set on my R/T were the G-Max in 255/45-20 and I really liked them.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
They agreed to a full set of tires. Leaning towards General G-Max AS05 or Nitto Motivo. Both are rated at 50k miles. My last set on my R/T were the G-Max in 255/45-20 and I really liked them.

Unless the General G-Max or Nitto Motivo tires were factory sanctioned I'd be very reluctant to get them. My concern is always the fear of ending up on with subpar tires on the car which affect its road manners or worse are not up the demands the car can place on tires.

But if you have run the G-Max tires before on a similar car and the tires proved ok going with the G-Max tires for your SP is maybe ok. The R/T and the SP are similar but not identical cars. The SP has more weight more power and the tires are different sizes.

Years ago I dealt with choosing wrong tires and learned my lesson. Ever since and especially as my car choices have been for more powerful/faster cars I'm very reluctant to fit any tires not recognized by the factory as suitable for use on my car. In fact since that time I have not fitted any tires to my cars except those tires and tire brands the factory recognizes are suitable for use on the car in question.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have the NITTO Motive and at 6k miles I still have 10/32 up front and 9/32 in the rear as inspected by the Dodge Dealer yesterday for some warranty work. I'm liking the NITTO Motive. I had the Cooper RS3 and were also great tires. I drive hard so getting 35k miles on my tires is great!

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I had two sets of the Nitto Motivo on my R/T. Good tires other than worn out at 32k miles not the rated 50k miles. Discount Tire replaced them both times under the mileage warranty giving me $99 per tire credit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is my 4th Challenger.(2009Rt,2012 RT with mopar package,and a 2016 RT Shaker}And my New 2020 Scat pack.....Seems all 4 challengers that I have owned that the Goodyear tires sucked.
Everytime I had to change my tires around 15,000 so I could pass inspection.....JT

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I had two sets of the Nitto Motivo on my R/T. Good tires other than worn out at 32k miles not the rated 50k miles. Discount Tire replaced them both times under the mileage warranty giving me $99 per tire credit.

I got almost 11k miles on the OEM and the next set got me about 28k. The Cooper got me about 37k miles. I'm thinking the Nittos will give me about the same 37k miles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check to make sure you did not get a "title washed" center punched car. I bet the frame is bent inwards at the nose.

why; My friend went to look at one, sure as heck if looked at it from 20ft away you could see it was bent. Car would not go straight on a test drive, he was quite upset. The dealer sold it to another person desperate for that car willing to overlook its massive flaws.

Lots of title washed cars & trucks on the road, flood damage, you name it. get the car fax and see how many state the title has been too and if just one doesn't have a salvage title carry over, well you have you answer.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a one year free car fax with my car. It was a one owner car with no accidents and oil changes every 5-6 months as it’s supposed to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll just say that I have a new SP WB for just over a month that I bought before it as delivered. The steering wheel was cocked to the side about 2 degrees when I bought it but the car drive straight. Agreed to take the car and then go back and have the wheel adjusted since couple of small items needed to be addressed.

Anyway when I took it back then ended up doing a full front and rear alignment. Even though it drive dead straight the alignment both front and rear was pretty far out of spec. Makes me wonder how long this has been going on from the factory on these cars and some of the excessive tire wear I have seen discussed have been because of this.

I did notice that even on the WB which has a heavier steering feel over a non-WB, it no longer seemed to be the case. It's still slightly heavier to be expected but not by much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts