Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Scat Pack RT does anyone else have an issue with the steering wheel being off to the left by like 1° when the car is perfectly straight?

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I have a 2016 SXT+, and I have the same thing. I've had my wheels aligned a few times, but the steering wheel is still that way.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts
There is a steering angle adjustment that can/should be done when the car is aligned

Assuming the alignment was done correctly

A Guy

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
737 Posts
Hmm, never noticed but i havent alligned my car. My Ram is a 2007 and its never had an allignment, lol. Just not something i worry about unless there is an issue. Tires dont wear funny so why fix it?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Not necessarily an issue on a brand new car. The springs and bushings are new and will settle as the car is driven, and the alignment will change a little bit. They try to compensate for that when it's set at the factory. I suppose you could adjust it if you're really picky while the car is still brand new, but you'll only have to adjust it again after you've driven it for a while. Maybe even a couple of times. I don't see the point in that. A better idea would be to give it time to settle. If you're still unhappy with it or it seems off, then get it dealt with.

For the OP, assuming the car has a few thousand km on it by now and is no longer brand new, I would suggest getting a wheel alignment and fine tuning the toe until the steering wheel is straight.

For what it's worth, I did an alignment on mine at around 33,000km. I found the right rear toe had fallen out of spec a little bit, which changed the thrust angle. That caused the steering wheel to be a hair off center. Adjusted it and fine since. I checked on the alignment a year later (to prepare for a trackday) and it was very close to where I left it. Only minor adjustment needed.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
825 Posts
I have a bit less than 5k on mine and did seem a tiny bit off at the start. Now it is dead on.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Mine 2020 is 2 months old and I have the same issue from day 1. The steering wheel is rotated every so slightly off center no matter what road I am driving on. It tracks straight and true but it's a little annoying on a brand new car. Not worth the effort to take it in.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just back the track rod end lock nuts off, wind each track rod in, or out, of the track rod end the same amount - ie wind the drivers side out, the passenger side in, say 1/2 a turn, nip the lock nuts up, take it for a run- if I've thought it through correctly, and remembered where the rack is in relation to the hub, that should pull the wheel around.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,195 Posts
My new 2020 Hellraisin Scat Pack has a slightly off center steering wheel. During the test ride and short test drive it felt and looked ok. But with some time with the car now I am noticing it.

The car does not pull or want to drift. Oh, this time I was adamant the tire pressure be right. I checked this before I drove away -- I had not bothered to check it before being focused on other areas of the car -- and spotted the 45psi readings on the TPMS display. Didn't even make it off the lot before I turned around and had the salesman get a tech to adjust the tire pressures.

Afterwards I drove to my favorite auto parts store and bought a nice tire gauge and went around the car and fine tuned the tire pressures. All are the same now.

So even with the tires pressures all correct the steering wheel is not centered. Not off by much but it is off.

Have not quite 600 miles on the car. I have eye surgery Wednesday and do not want to bother with this right now.

After surgery I'll wait until the following week to have the car in for its first/early oil/filter service and I'll ask the steering wheel be centered.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Just installed four new Pirelli tires on the 09 SRT with 14K miles along with a alignment due to the tire wear in front.
Ended up with the steering wheel off a degree or two when driving, so a quick return to the tire shop got things lined up correctly the second time around...

HOT ROD ON

1 - 12 of 12 Posts